Off-season roster thread #3 -- Post-draft and upcoming Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Where did i say we need to spend north of 7-8m? In fact i suggested that the likes of Weegar/Dumba hitting the open market would be reasons to rule them out for us.

Your OP suggested that you weren't willing to spend anything beyond the minimum on the position by plugging in bottom pairing/borderline NHLers next to Dahlin & Power.

The way i see the defence (in fact the entire team) being structured is maximising the effectiveness of Dahlin & Power. Which means giving both guys partners that allow them to be on the ice as often as possible & allowing them to be as effective as possible. Those players do not cost 9-10m but they will cost more than what I believe you're willing to pay.

If we're not having to pay any huge salaries elsewhere then it's more than feasible. There are obvious areas where it's sensible to be cheap (5/6/7D, depth forwards) but securing the best partners for Dahlin/Power should be this tean's biggest priority - not somewhere to be cheap.

I agree with this & it's why i find Adams' general aversion to drafting D so frustrating.

But i don't think they necessarily HAVE to find guys that are so ahead of the curve. Just find the right two guys who are willing to play on a typical 'second pairing' salary.
Bringing in guys like Lyubushkin and giving them the opportunity for some later-career improvement in a high-talent environment is another route Adams seems to be trying. It may be a low percentage play, but the payoff is big if they hit. There's time to figure it out before contention pressure starts to really build.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Well 1 has a handful of nhl games and the other is a ppg 40 goal scorer after 128 games played and was a Calder finalist
Sure - but i think we have seen enough from Quinn since his draft year to accurately predict that he's a LOT closer to Robertson than say a Savoie or Ostlund are.

Bringing in guys like Lyubushkin and giving them the opportunity for some later-career improvement in a high-talent environment is another route Adams seems to be trying. It may be a low percentage play, but the payoff is big if they hit. There's time to figure it out before contention pressure starts to really build.
As you say - it's a low percentage play. I like Lyubushkin as a bottom pair guy but it's unlikely he becomes much more. Since there is nothing in the cupboard prospect-wise - the time to act is probably sooner than you think.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
There’s no freakin way Pilut isn’t in the top 6. Just no way. Sucks for Bryson, who I think is better than Joker, but he must be behind Pilut.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
There’s no freakin way Pilut isn’t in the top 6. Just no way. Sucks for Bryson, who I think is better than Joker, but he must be behind Pilut.
Well, still 2 more games to go and new D depth. Joker still may find his way to the top 6. Can't judge one or two games.

What is the waiver situation with Bryson, Pilut, and Fitzgerald?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There is still 11 days until the home opener. If Bryson struggles in those 11 days then I can see him being the 7th defensemen and Davies or Pilut starting opening night instead. If Bryson puts it together and he is ready then he will be in the lineup.

Team decides they can sneak Fitzgerald through waivers?

I also think that Anderson or UPL will start opening night. Comrie talked after his game about getting used to the guys and being nervous especially playing for a new club. I think they will give him time to acclimate and not put that much pressure on the team to start.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

We don't see what's going on in actual camp, just the preseason games.

It wouldn't shock me at all if we keep Bryson AND Fitz up and demote Pilut. I think what it comes down to is that there is probably very little separating Bryson and Pilut. Pilut is older and is waiver exempt.....two things working in Bryson's favor.

Reactions: Jacob582

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think there's a real question as to whether we go 13-8 or 14-7. And that might depend on what they decide with Peterka and Sheahan.

If Peterka isn't in the top 12, which given what the team thinks of Hinostroza is a real possibility, then they may start him down in Rochester. Then it becomes a question of keeping Sheahan in the press box, or sneak him through waivers and keep Pilut/Fitz/Bryson all up. If given the choice between "risk Sheahan through waivers" and "risk Fitz through waivers" (I don't think Bryson goes down before Fitz), there's an argument for exposing the F where you have more depth than at D.

Reactions: elchud

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Here's the roster I'm looking at right now. Not sure I missed anyone, but this is 23. You don't need to send down Peterka, Quinn, or Pilut. And no one gets waived. 13 forwards 8 defensemen, 2 goalies.

10 Jokiharju, HenriD
20 Pilut, LawrenceD
23 Samuelsson, MattiasD
25 Power, OwenD
26 Dahlin, RasmusD
45 Fitzgerald, CaseyD
46 Lyubushkin, IlyaD
78 Bryson, JacobD
15 Bjork, AndersF
19 Krebs, PeytonF
21 Okposo, KyleF
22 Quinn, JackF
24 Cozens, DylanF
28 Girgensons, ZemgusF
29 Hinostroza, VinnieF
37 Mittelstadt, CaseyF
71 Olofsson, VictorF
72 Thompson, TageF
74 Asplund, RasmusF
77 Peterka, JJF
89 Tuch, AlexF
31 Comrie, EricG
41 Anderson, CraigG

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Its up to Joker if he wins the spot next to Power. If he doesn't then he is fine on the 3rd pair.

I'm more interested in replacing Bryson. Pilut will do. Or maybe a guy like Edmundson. Im not saying Edmundson. Just a steady veteran. Dont think we need to make a big splash on adding a D. And. I think we are just fine with handedness for a couple seasons if Sammy/Dahlin is the top pair.

Now, I wouldn't want to be paying Joker 3 million+ on his next contract as a 3rd pair. But with all the ELCs on the forwards and the cheap goaltending it's doable.

Where the big move in the next 18 months will be with forwards. If Mitts has a Tage-like breakout he could be in for a similar payday. If not I think you trade him because cheaper players with as much upside are ready to play. A two-roster-forward for one-roster-forward seems inevitable even if we aren't thrilled with the return

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Here's the roster I'm looking at right now. Not sure I missed anyone, but this is 23. You don't need to send down Peterka, Quinn, or Pilut. And no one gets waived. 13 forwards 8 defensemen, 2 goalies.

10 Jokiharju, HenriD
20 Pilut, LawrenceD
23 Samuelsson, MattiasD
25 Power, OwenD
26 Dahlin, RasmusD
45 Fitzgerald, CaseyD
46 Lyubushkin, IlyaD
78 Bryson, JacobD
15 Bjork, AndersF
19 Krebs, PeytonF
21 Okposo, KyleF
22 Quinn, JackF
24 Cozens, DylanF
28 Girgensons, ZemgusF
29 Hinostroza, VinnieF
37 Mittelstadt, CaseyF
71 Olofsson, VictorF
72 Thompson, TageF
74 Asplund, RasmusF
77 Peterka, JJF
89 Tuch, AlexF
31 Comrie, EricG
41 Anderson, CraigG
Left out Skinner

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Hello HFboards Buffalo, currently have Power stashed away on my ELC team for my fantasy pool, I am assuming it's a safe bet to call him up right away as he is playing top 4 / 2nd pp unit and making the team?

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hello HFboards Buffalo, currently have Power stashed away on my ELC team for my fantasy pool, I am assuming it's a safe bet to call him up right away as he is playing top 4 / 2nd pp unit and making the team?

Yup. I mean he may kill your team in +/-, if that’s a stat that counts in your pool, (we really don’t know how the team will be this year, but just assume that stat won’t look pretty for most of the team), but he’ll be doing that. He did that in his 8 games at the end of the season.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
There is still 11 days until the home opener. If Bryson struggles in those 11 days then I can see him being the 7th defensemen and Davies or Pilut starting opening night instead. If Bryson puts it together and he is ready then he will be in the lineup.

Team decides they can sneak Fitzgerald through waivers?

I also think that Anderson or UPL will start opening night. Comrie talked after his game about getting used to the guys and being nervous especially playing for a new club. I think they will give him time to acclimate and not put that much pressure on the team to start.
Davies? UPL starting the opener?

Lol

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Bryson can play the right side. They can bench Joki, and play Pilut and Bryson.

I really like Bryson. I thought he was steady as hell for the most part last year. There were good portions of the year last year where he looked like a top-4 guy. Wouldnt be surprised if he battles for the top-4 RD spot this year.

Reactions: BFLO and Jacob582

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Think Luby is getting consigned too early to a 3rd pairing role. Let's see how he does with Power first, assuming Don tries that.

In any case, the logjam of quality young forwards and the dearth of quality young d-men will find a balance.

Reactions: old kummelweck

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How does Priskie look for y’all? I always thought he was a NHLer when with Florida but we had too much RHD depth

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Where did i say we need to spend north of 7-8m? In fact i suggested that the likes of Weegar/Dumba hitting the open market would be reasons to rule them out for us.

Your OP suggested that you weren't willing to spend anything beyond the minimum on the position by plugging in bottom pairing/borderline NHLers next to Dahlin & Power.

The way i see the defence (in fact the entire team) being structured is maximising the effectiveness of Dahlin & Power. Which means giving both guys partners that allow them to be on the ice as often as possible & allowing them to be as effective as possible. Those players do not cost 9-10m but they will cost more than what I believe you're willing to pay.

If we're not having to pay any huge salaries elsewhere then it's more than feasible. There are obvious areas where it's sensible to be cheap (5/6/7D, depth forwards) but securing the best partners for Dahlin/Power should be this tean's biggest priority - not somewhere to be cheap.

What @Fezzy126 is talking about is they will both develop into stud dmen. Get to the level of guys like Chara, Karlsson, Pronger, Niedermayer, Burns etc. Guys who can play with anyone and be great. They also played a ton at 5v5 and rarely played all those minutes with their partner.

Which gets to to the pairings for the Sabres. Dahlin/Power are going to play 1-2mins more 5v5 than their partners will. Unless they are paired with each other.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
What @Fezzy126 is talking about is they will both develop into stud dmen. Get to the level of guys like Chara, Karlsson, Pronger, Niedermayer, Burns etc. Guys who can play with anyone and be great. They also played a ton at 5v5 and rarely played all those minutes with their partner.

Which gets to to the pairings for the Sabres. Dahlin/Power are going to play 1-2mins more 5v5 than their partners will. Unless they are paired with each other.
Maybe you are right - but i disagree that they can necessarily play with ANYONE.

It's obvious to me that these guys need capable, steady partners in order to be fully effective.

I'd expect their extra ice time to be made up mostly by the PP & potential game deciding situations where they could be out there together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad