Speculation: Off-Season Roster Building/Line Combos Thread

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My thoughts now that we are through most of the preseason:

Foegele - Aho - TT

Never. Split. The. Finns. Also, give them a guy that can keep up with them. Given that they are two veterans, I think Foegele will be fine with them.

Ferland - Staal - JWilly

This line will get the hardest matchups, so all vets is my preference. Plus, they can all score as well, so this would be a premier line for going against the other teams best while still providing a bite offensively to keep them honest.

Zykov - Necas - Svech

All rookies, I know. But if you have a rookie center, you are going to be sheltering this line anyway, even if both wingers are vets, so having more rookies won’t change that much. Plus, I like the budding chemistry between Svech and Z and Svech and Marty McFlying.

McGinn - Walmark - Martinook
PDG as 13th

Walmark needs to stay with the team with Rask out and would likely be claimed if sent down, so he plays. McGinn has played well this preseason and last year, and takes Ferland’s spot if he is still injured. Martinook makes the team for his versatility and PP. PDG is as good a 13th as any team should want or keep.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Foegele - Aho - TT

Never. Split. The. Finns. Also, give them a guy that can keep up with them. Given that they are two veterans, I think Foegele will be fine with them.

Ferland - Staal - JWilly

This line will get the hardest matchups, so all vets is my preference. Plus, they can all score as well, so this would be a premier line for going against the other teams best while still providing a bite offensively to keep them honest.

Zykov - Necas - Svech

All rookies, I know. But if you have a rookie center, you are going to be sheltering this line anyway, even if both wingers are vets, so having more rookies won’t change that much. Plus, I like the budding chemistry between Svech and Z and Svech and Marty McFlying.

PDG as 13th

Walmark needs to stay with the team with Rask out and would likely be claimed if sent down, so he plays. McGinn has played well this preseason and last year, and takes Ferland’s spot if he is still injured. Martinook makes the team for his versatility and PP. PDG is as good a 13th as any team should want or keep.

I like.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com

Foegele - Aho - TT

Ferland - Staal - JWilly

Zykov - Necas - Svech

PDG as 13th

this is my vote as much as i hate having to stick mcginn on the 4th line

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Foegele - Aho - TT

Ferland - Staal - JWilly

Zykov - Necas - Svech

PDG as 13th

Seconded, or thirded, or fourthed.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Foegele - Aho - TT

Ferland - Staal - JWilly

Zykov - Necas - Svech

PDG as 13th

I don’t mind having Necas & Svech play together. But my only complaint is filling out that line with Zykov. Nothing against Zykov, but for development reasons I’d like to see Necas & Svech start the year with a vet.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I guess Svechnikov Hattrick of penalties got him pushed down...

Foegele - Aho - TT
I like it, I thought Ferland was going to the be their line mate.

McGinn - Staal - Williams
Tried and true.

Ferland - Necas - PDG
PDG is over his head on this line likely. Svechnikov would be better.

Martinook - Wallmark - Svechnikov
Watch for Svechnikov to have a lot of chances on the breakaway.

Slavin - Hamilton
One of the best top pairings in the league.

deHaan - Faulk
Can Faulk look good again with out Sekera or Hainsey?

Fleury - Pesce
Shut down pairing that’s a 2nd pairing on 20+ other teams.

PP1:
Zykov - Aho - TT
Faulk - Hamilton
Zykov is going to flourish there.

PP2:
Necas - Staal - Svenchnikov
Williams - Slavin
Necas brings that speed, Svechnikov can finish, and Staal, Slavin, and Williams keeps the kids honest.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
If this is the plan for opening night instead of just lines in a practice or preseason game, they should just send him down to get top line minutes in Charlotte. This would be a waste.
1) he can't play in charlotte until his junior team's season is over
2) he's on the powerplay so he'll still get decent minutes anyway.
3) it's the first game of the season
4) can we not get mad repeatedly throughout the year because of how the lines are listed like we've done constantly in the past because (insert good offensive forward) is on the (line too low). we have two good proven centers, and i'm including aho in that. lines 3 and 4 are basically interchangeable and no team uses their third line as "checking" line like teams used to do. this is how we got into total nonsense discussions about how jeff skinner was in a "checking role" or was playing 10 minutes a game or other made up garbage.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Oh, I think it is just practice. I think it is just a signal to him that he needs to clean up his game a bit after the three penalties last night.

It might not even be that complicated. They've seen a lot of Zykov and Svechnikov playing with some higher end talent through 4 games. They've seen Foegele with Aho/TT for only 1 game. IIRC, they haven't seen McGinn-Staal-Williams at all together this pre-season, they have barely seen Ferland this pre-season, and maybe giving Phil a chance with some better talent for a game.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Forwards:
Aho, PDG, Ferland, Foegele, Martinook, McGinn, Necas, Rask*, Staal, Svechnikov, Turbo, Wallmark, Williams, Zykov

Defense:
CDH, Faulk, Fluery, Hamilton, Pesce, Slavin, TVR

Goalie:
Darling, Mzarek

*Rask Injured Reserved

After the cuts (pun unintentional, but still funny).
So with the impending expansion draft, five of our forwards will be exempt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad