GA 0.867
CF 18.52
CA 15.23

Backes w/o Oshie
GF 0.672
GA 0.784
CF 19.77
CA 17.25

Where did you find these stats? I mean specific to linemate ones?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I was calling your cherry-picking disingenuous without being rude. I'd already "dug" before I replied.

cherry picking? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

quite comical after your attempt to nullify the last 2 seasons

Please enlighten us with your "uncherry picked" supporting evidence

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
cherry picking? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

quite comical after your attempt to nullify the last 2 seasons

Please enlighten us with your "uncherry picked" supporting evidence

Nullify the last two seasons?

All I said was that they were A) an outlier year in which St Louis broke NHL records after missing the playoffs the year before and B) a down year for the entire franchise characterized by subpar goaltender performance. If context is so clearly antithetical to your argument perhaps you ought to make a better one.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is the second time on this page you've stated that we have those picks. I'm pretty confused how you are coming up with those #s for a draft that is a year away.

That's quite the crystal ball you've got there

Those were this years draft placements in the 2nd round for BUF, MIN, and LA

You may be right, we could add Ennis. So Miller and Ennis for Oshie and a 2nd.

Miller+ Ennis for Oshie+Ratte/Jaskin(sp)+2nd/1st.
or
Miller+Ennis for Oshie+prospect+1st

Miller+ Vanek for Oshie+ Ratte/Jaskin(sp)+propsect+1st

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Nullify the last two seasons?

All I said was that they were A) an outlier year in which St Louis broke NHL records after missing the playoffs the year before and B) a down year for the entire franchise characterized by subpar goaltender performance. If context is so clearly antithetical to your argument perhaps you ought to make a better one.

"outlier year" is cherry picking

im sure your uncherry picked counter-evidence is almost ready :rolleyes:

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Those were this years draft placements in the 2nd round for BUF, MIN, and LA

Miller+ Ennis for Oshie+Ratte/Jaskin(sp)+2nd/1st.
or
Miller+Ennis for Oshie+prospect+1st

Miller+ Vanek for Oshie+ Ratte/Jaskin(sp)+propsect+1st

I like Rattie so I would go for the first option. Would like to include Vanek in a package for someone like Strome.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
"outlier year" is cherry picking

im sure your uncherry picked counter-evidence is almost ready :rolleyes:

If I actually thought that you were arguing in good faith I'd make the effort, but it's clear you're more interested in consciously attacking things I'm not saying. The cherrypicking was listing 4 stats from a single year without context and acting as if that justifies the conclusion. It's not that hard to c+p advanced stats sites. Nor is it hard to leave out certain years/stats. That's what cherry picking is, and you know that's what I meant.

If you want to count a record-breaking NHL season as evidence without correction for the fact that it's one of the prime examples of outlier performance in NHL history, be my guest. Have your ****ing cake and eat it but realize that for those who know different you're just making your argument look weaker than it actually is.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
More well rounded? I guess by that, you mean he's thicker. Ennis can play center or wing, has played in as a two way forward, and all things considered did pretty well. Ennis is very well rounded and very versatile, something that Oshie is not. Not to mention, Oshie is 4 years older.

Regardless of the accuracy of anything else in this post, Oshie is only 4 years older than Ennis if you've got a time machine involved in there somewhere.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If I actually thought that you were arguing in good faith I'd make the effort, but it's clear you're more interested in consciously attacking things I'm not saying. The cherrypicking was listing 4 stats from a single year without context and acting as if that justifies the conclusion. It's not that hard to c+p advanced stats sites. Nor is it hard to leave out certain years/stats. That's what cherry picking is, and you know that's what I meant.

If you want to count a record-breaking NHL season as evidence without correction for the fact that it's one of the prime examples of outlier performance in NHL history, be my guest. Have your ****ing cake and eat it but realize that for those who know different you're just making your argument look weaker than it actually is.

Was this supposed to deflect from the fact that you said something a have yet to back it up?

I'm not distracted, once your done stroking, post the data...

So far, I've posted data from 1 year, after your attempt to remove the 2 most recent years from the conversation

As usual, you're "all talk"

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, some teams to revisit as potential destinations:

Miller:

St Louis
Colorado
Anaheim (high potential for him to extend there)
Edmonton

Vanek:

Winnipeg
NYI
Minnesota
NJD
St Louis
Colorado
Nashville

Stafford:

Nashville
Edmonton

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Jame, let's address the two years I'm trying to "remove" first.

I'm not.

I'm adding context. If you think that's injurious to your argument it is on you. If you think context doesn't belong in the conversation you're relying much too heavily on those numbers in a vacuum. Consider the extreme as illustrative. Suppose Backes played the entire 2013 year with vertigo and a broken leg. Obviously this is not the case but nevertheless the numbers would not reflect his performance as walking wounded. Similarly, they don't account for the context of those seasons.

As for numbers, look at Oshie's 08-09 individual metrics. Among the most sheltered on the team with the second-biggest difference between offensive zone start and finish of all forwards. Beyond that, the marked difference in qualcomp between Oshie and Backes for several seasons, the most dramatic difference being in 10-11. Even still, Oshie's 11-12 doesn't grade out that well in regard to OnIceSv (3rd worst) or Rel Corsi (middling). For a great defensive player in a historically strong defensive year, that's puzzling.

Back to 09-10, though, because you think I'm "stroking." Whatever. Does his second-worst OnIceSv do it for you? His middling offensive zone start % along with low-end offensive zone finish?

What does all this mean devoid of context? Nothing. For example, it doesn't take into account that Murray misused Oshie criminally in early 09-10, or that Payne took to saddling Backes with whatever underperforming forward the Blues had that week as a means of testing his mettle for captaincy and averaging out their lackadaisical play (Backes passed with flying colors, of course). Even advanced stats are just stats, albeit more technical ones, and stats are only part of the picture.

tldr adding context may weaken my argument but it's intellectually honest.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

Miller:

St Louis
Colorado
Edmonton

Vanek:

Winnipeg
NYI
Minnesota
NJD
St Louis
Colorado
Nashville

Stafford:

Nashville
Edmonton

Not sure NJ has much of anything we want or that they would be willing to part with like Henrique. They do not even have a 2014 first round pick. I think Colorado is pretty set at forward and has holes on D and possibly in goal. But I could come up with scenarios for all the others.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Jame, let's address the two years I'm trying to "remove" first.

I'm not.

yes. you are. you are attempting to make an entire team's hockey season an outlier. can we take the co caps years, tag them as outliers, and judge lindy ruff on the rest of his career?

I'm adding context. If you think that's injurious to your argument it is on you. If you think context doesn't belong in the conversation you're relying much too heavily on those numbers in a vacuum.

context is always relevant. your choice on what to contextualize clearly isn't.
Consider the extreme as illustrative.

i feel something incredibly silly coming up...

Suppose Backes played the entire 2013 year with vertigo and a broken leg. Obviously this is not the case but nevertheless the numbers would not reflect his performance as walking wounded. Similarly, they don't account for the context of those seasons.

yup, there it is...

As for numbers, look at Oshie's 08-09 individual metrics.

why?

Among the most sheltered on the team with the second-biggest difference between offensive zone start and finish of all forwards.

are you going to cherry pick different stats from 5 years ago? aren't you going to contextualize these stats for us? maybe something like IT WAS HIS ROOKIE SEASON????

are you just lobbing hypocrit bombs on purpose?

Beyond that, the marked difference in qualcomp between Oshie and Backes for several seasons, the most dramatic difference being in 10-11. Even still, Oshie's 11-12 doesn't grade out that well in regard to OnIceSv (3rd worst) or Rel Corsi (middling). For a great defensive player in a historically strong defensive year, that's puzzling.

What does that have to do with the original statement? Seriously, did you forget what the original statement was while taking this nice long stroll around strawman mountain?

I said, Backes has been better when he was WITH Oshie. the difference is qualcom in seasons that they weren't primary linemates has no relevance. you seem to want to have a different conversation.

Backes and Oshie were linemates in 11-12
Backes and Oshie were #1/#2 in ALL QOC stats among forwards
Backes and Oshie had identical Zone Starts
(I wonder why you want to "outlier" this year :rolleyes:

Backes w/ Oshie
GF 0.905
GA 0.521
CF 19.26
CA 15.56

Backes w/o Oshie
GF 0.572
GA 0.687
CF 20.61
CA 17.80

Back to 09-10, though, because you think I'm "stroking." Whatever. Does his second-worst OnIceSv do it for you? His middling offensive zone start % along with low-end offensive zone finish?

THE COMMENT IS ABOUT BACKES WITH OSHIE.... you seem to want this conversation to be about Oshie. It's not. It's about your accusation that my statement was false. It's not... regardless of how many detours, diversions, and cherries you bring.

Oshie was the 2nd best Corsi/puck possession player on the Blues that year... but i can see how cherry picking would lead you to use a save % stat in a conversation about forwards on a team/season where Chris Mason and Ty Conklin were the starting goaltenders... nice work

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Miller:

St Louis
Colorado
Edmonton

Vanek:

Winnipeg
NYI
Minnesota
NJD
St Louis
Colorado
Nashville

Stafford:

Nashville
Edmonton

With their young goalies in the pipeline I dont see any chance of you getting Anaheim to bite on Miller. Especially when it would insult Hiller a mainstay and fan fav.

Also dont see Edmonton giving up on Dubnyk for a year just to go back to him next year when Miller walks as he surely would.

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
A package of Granlund , Brodin and a 1st for Vanek would be a steal.. Problem is I'm not sure they can take on Vaneks salary..

Hodgson
Granlund
Girgensons
Larsson

And move Grigorenko to the wing

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
A package of Granlund , Brodin and a 1st for Vanek would be a steal.. Problem is I'm not sure they can take on Vaneks salary..

Hodgson
Granlund
Girgensons
Larsson

I don't think they will part with either of hose two

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Hodgson
Granlund
Girgensons
Larsson

neither let alone both will be on the move. Youd have better luck looking at a Dumba, Philips type of package. Also I dont see them dangling their first 2 years in a row.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
How's this for a tactic: Re-sign Vanek for 8.0 x 4 so he gets his scratch, eat 50% for the life of the contract, and ship a 65 point floor player anywhere in the league for a 4 million cap hit.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Hate it, because it saddles us with 4 million in cap hit when we're trying to ice a contender.

I do find the idea of it hysterical, though.

It was tongue-in-cheek, obviously, but also under the assumption that most people aren't as optimistic as I am about the timeframe. If they're going to be relevant in 4 years, why not keep Vanek?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Because this year is a boom/bust year.

Either the kids come in and contribute in major, defined roles, or it's tank city for an actual elite player. Vanek just buoys the team outside the top 5 if they guess wrong.

If they need a Vanek (or a Nash/Ryan) in four years they can just trade for one.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It was tongue-in-cheek, obviously, but also under the assumption that most people aren't as optimistic as I am about the timeframe. If they're going to be relevant in 4 years, why not keep Vanek?

I am all for resigning Vanek. The problem is I dont think he deserves the C and without it or a really great sales pitch I dont see him staying.

Without vanek this team is TERRIBLE until Armia and Grigorenko are 30 goal scorers which is years away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad