Speculation: Off-Season Roster Build, Part Ad Nauseum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Eh, Regier's trade history with Lombardi is stronger than many, why burn that relationship? Just make the trade offer, see if something can be worked out.

good point.

"Hey Deano, we really like Clifford, we've had conversations with his agent, and we have a deal worked out. The compensation would be a 3rd round pick. Is that fair compensation for you? Would you like me to toss in a 6th rounder because we're friends? Would you like to match the offersheet and continue to work on a trade?"

I think the negative perception of the offersheet is fan created....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
good point.

"Hey Deano, we really like Clifford, we've had conversations with his agent, and we have a deal worked out. The compensation would be a 3rd round pick. Is that fair compensation for you? Would you like me to toss in a 6th rounder because we're friends? Would you like to match the offersheet and continue to work on a trade?"

I think the negative perception of the offersheet is fan created....

Yeah, I just edit'd my post to the same sort of thing -- use the OS as a point of leverage, even just by asking about it. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Eh, Regier's trade history with Lombardi is stronger than many, why burn that relationship? Just make the trade offer, see if something can be worked out.

Yeah, a trade should be able to be worked out. They just acquired Carcillo, and they already have guys like Nolan and King in their bottom-6. Clifford appears cumulative at this point. For Clifford alone, I'd throw them a 3rd rounder, which should be between 61-70 next year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd see if the Kings might want one of the 2nds from the Regehr trade back. :biglaugh: Yes, yes... too much.

I don't think I'd go OS on anyone, even if it's an option. Considering the precidents it sets, it's a risk for someone on the bottom-6 that I wouldn't want to establish.

i mentioned this in the main thread about the fact Buffalo had LA 2nds the next 2 years. Sending one back is a no brainer to me.

He was picked at 35 in I think 2008 or 2009. Sending LA back one of their 2nd. that pick would be in the 50s.

Besides offer sheeting another persons player would burn a bridge, it also means Buffalo would have to give up its own 2nd round pick which would be in the 30s.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I'd love to get Clifford...
would you trade a 3rd rounder for him? I would...
maybe we should just offersheet him? the Kings only have ~2 million in cap space.... :dunno:

We have 3 second rounders next year, 38, 46 and 57. Give them 57 for him.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Looks like St. Louis is trying to clear a little salary with this Perron move, any chance they're back in on Miller, or do you think the move is strictly for RFA's?

Absolutely they could be interested, they need cap space for pietrangelo and stewart. So why not send Halak to Edmonton for a 2014 2nd. Then Miller o the Blues for that pick and Oshie, we retain some salary.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Absolutely they could be interested, they need cap space for pietrangelo and stewart. So why not send Halak to Edmonton for a 2014 2nd. Then Miller o the Blues for that pick and Oshie, we retain some salary.

St Louis isn't giving up Oshie for Miller.

Let alone Oshie+ for Miller.

:shakehead

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'd love for them to get after Clifford to man the fourth-line LW spot.

Leino-Hodgson-Vanek
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Foligno-Larsson-Ott
Clifford-Porter-Kaleta

That bottom six is actually pretty solid. Littered with battlers and 200-foot players.

Sprinkle in some Tropp and Flynn and they're at least icing a hungry lineup.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I'm going to read between the lines for a minute here. St Louis has a large surplus of forwards and wants to upgrade in goal?

So, a deal I could see:

To Buffalo: TJ Oshie, Halak, 2014 2nd (Edmonton's)
To St Louis: Miller

St. Louis clears extra salary to re-up their RFAs, upgrades their goalie.

Buffalo in turn sends Halak packing to Edmonton for a mid round pick+ prospect

This now opens the doors for the Vanek trade when Regier goes into Jedi Mindtrick mode:

To Buffalo: Okposo, Strome
To NYI: Vanek (2 million retained)
Love this. I just posted something similar but without the Strome/vanek part. I like his deal better than mine.

Last edited:

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Although I don't think you get Okposo just Strome. Unless you throw in Ennis and a Dman.

Last edited:

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I doubt the Isles give up Okposo or Strome for one year of Vanek.

And they aren't re-signing him.

Unless of course the Sabres add McNabb. Vanek and Tavares would be incredible playing together. He would finally have a chance to play with a true #1 center. He would score 40.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's it. We have three 2nd rounders next year 38, 46 and 57. 57 and Adam should do it I would think.

This is the second time on this page you've stated that we have those picks. I'm pretty confused how you are coming up with those #s for a draft that is a year away.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
This is the second time on this page you've stated that we have those picks. I'm pretty confused how you are coming up with those #s for a draft that is a year away.
Thy are ballpark based on how teams finished this past season.

Last edited:

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I doubt too many GMs think that Ennis a year away from RFA has more trade value than Oshie.

Their career PPG are similiar (Oshie has a slight edge .67 vs .66) and Oshie has the more well rounded game.

I think that deal could work but we will see. The Miller to the Blues chatter just will not go away. The Blues need to sign pietrangelo and stewart so something has to give. Oshie is probably the odd man out then. If they send Halak to say Edmonton or somewhere for a pick they free up some cap space.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I doubt too many GMs think that Ennis a year away from RFA has more trade value than Oshie.

Their career PPG are similiar (Oshie has a slight edge .67 vs .66) and Oshie has the more well rounded game.

More well rounded? I guess by that, you mean he's thicker. Ennis can play center or wing, has played in as a two way forward, and all things considered did pretty well. Ennis is very well rounded and very versatile, something that Oshie is not. Not to mention, Oshie is 4 years older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad