Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Imagine that from Roark. Holy hell his co tract would become a steal lol. Contract year so fingers crossed

And in this case he would be our ace. Id gladly take half of his 2017 production; 2+ WAR would be a bonus.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Having us at 5th for catching is bold with the uncertainty around Danny Jansen's development. Unless this is them thinking Kirk is going to come up and slaughter some baseballs all year.

Either way good to have the computer boys on our side.

Steamer projects Jansen as one of the better catchers in the league (Top 5ish in fWAR) and Kirk as the best offensive catcher in the game next year.

ZiPS projects them 7th and 8th in catcher fWAR.

Reactions: weems

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

Looks like Vlad gained back some weight.

I think the photos where he looked best were probably him sucking in. No shame in it Vladdy, we all do it for tinder. If you compare that video to some of the photos from earlier in the offseason, what is pretty telling is that his face is roughly the same shape.

The bright side of this is Vladdy still might be on a positive downward trend, obviously we'd prefer slower weight loss to him shedding it all and immediately gaining some back.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Vladdy does look like he lost some weight and to be honest I wouldnt want him to lose too much as his power would be impacted.

Im sure now that he is in camp there is a program that the Jays will put him on to continue to be leaner and more power added. Opening day will be the telling tale.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Steamer projects Jansen as one of the better catchers in the league (Top 5ish in fWAR) and Kirk as the best offensive catcher in the game next year.

ZiPS projects them 7th and 8th in catcher fWAR.

That's pretty crazy to think when he's currently not even projected to be on our starting lineup.

Steamers has him hitting .284 with 7 homeruns and a .818 OPS in 53 games.

They have him ranked #1 in OPS, #1 in wOBA and #2 in BA amongst catchers.

Reactions: Discoverer

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

I recall others have said similar things. Steve Pearce when he left the Jays.

This is a really bad look for the Athletics. Especially when you think about that attempt to halt payments to their minor leaguers entirely just a few months ago. At what point do you go from "the plucky underdogs that find a way to make it work" to just being the team that doesn't give adequate resources to your players to cut costs.

EDIT: Trying not be a total debbie downer here. I'm glad to hear that the Jays aren't one of those teams and actually go above and beyond to provide adequate support staff for their players.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This is a really bad look for the Athletics. Especially when you think about that attempt to halt payments to their minor leaguers entirely just a few months ago. At what point do you go from "the plucky underdogs that find a way to make it work" to just being the team that doesn't give adequate resources to your players to cut costs.

Has it ever been anything but that? They didn't really have to pay for pop in their own locker room but Oakland has never been mistaken for being a free spender in any aspect of their franchise.

Reactions: Hoverhand

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015

EDIT: Trying not be a total debbie downer here. I'm glad to hear that the Jays aren't one of those teams and actually go above and beyond to provide adequate support staff for their players.
The sad thing is that for the price of a middle reliever, they could have so much better facilities.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I did a bit of a tour through the midwest in 2017 and ended up seeing the A's A-ball team in Beloit. It was like if you took Christie Pits and added in a batting cage behind the third base dugout. I was amazed it was a professional facility. Saw South Bend (Cubs A-ball team) on the same trip and they had more or less what Dunedin looks like now.

Shocking how different they could be while being in the same league. Its amazing that Oakland develops so many players with that handicap.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Did we make a roster move i didnt know about? Or are we signing someone today?

Likely its just a roster spot for one of Cole, Liriano or Panik.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Did we make a roster move i didnt know about? Or are we signing someone today?

Likely its just a roster spot for one of Cole, Liriano or Panik.

I don't know if it has to be a necessary move or anything. For all we know the front office just decided today was a good day to gamble that he might slip through unselected and were wrong.

Not a huge deal though. It's Joel Payamps.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I went from “I want Odorizzi but I’ll accept a Porcello or Leake”

To “but in all likelihood it’s just a move for Cole, Liriano or Panik can’t be worse than that.”

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
I think mix between the two, verge is a strong word.

That being said, If Palacios has a really good spring, maybe we hear some March/April trade chatter.
The key is that we checked in this winter. That could have been prior to signing Springer, or at a point we were entertaining trading an OF. Doesn’t mean we had recent talks with Gardner.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I went from “I want Odorizzi but I’ll accept a Porcello or Leake”

To “but in all likelihood it’s just a move for Cole, Liriano or Panik can’t be worse than that.”

You realize that one of Panik/Valera likely makes this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad