Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VI: I declare this the summer of George!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
SRF? He's approaching the bin as well, but I would have liked to see how he could handle a pen role for a year. Diaz I would have DFA'd for Semien anyway so that's nothing.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I have no problem losing SRF and Diaz as they were on the 40 man. We likely had to waive one to make room for Semien. So we are trading the other for Matz which isnt bad if he is the lefty out of the pen. Losing Winckowski sucks but not a big big loss.

Comes do to SRF and Diaz for Semien and Matz from the 40 man perspective.

Still a weird trade.

Last edited:

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
I feel like they might see something in his mechanics they think they can tinker with.

it so you get a decent 4-5 starter with upside.
If not, he could provide a lefty pen option with a high K rate.

either way they Didn’t give up much and they needed to move guys like that to make 40 man room anyways....

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I don't hate it. Matz is another arm with potential that Walker can try to fix. I trust that they wouldn't trade for someone coming off the season that Matz did with just a year of control left if they didn't see something they think they can correct - a la Robbie Ray at the deadline. As for the players given up, I won't lose any sleep over losing them. It will clear some 40-man spots which will likely be needed in the coming days/weeks. Also, I am not totally against giving the Mets a little help with trying to lure Bauer. If they add Bauer on the salary he will likely command that is a lot of money for a team that already has some key players to extend coming up in the next offseason or two and will force them to make some difficult decisions.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Man they must really believe in their pitching coaching staff because they are really betting on these frustrating but talented pitchers. Also make me wonder whether they will continue piggybacking one of their rotation spots, as they now have three guys who would sort of work in that area (Ray, Stripling, Matz).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Man they must really believe in their pitching coaching staff because they are really betting on these frustrating but talented pitchers. Also make me wonder whether they will continue piggybacking one of their rotation spots, as they now have three guys who would sort of work in that area (Ray, Stripling, Matz).

this doesn't strike me as an endgame move. Rather it seems like a move to take a flier on a guy who they think they might be able to fix while opening up 40-man spots to do other things. Basically it beats just cutting guys to make room. And it's not like losing those 3 is going to take bullets out of the gun for other trades.

Also you can never have enough starting pitching.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
this doesn't strike me as an endgame move. Rather it seems like a move to take a flier on a guy who they think they might be able to fix while opening up 40-man spots to do other things.

Also you can never have enough starting pitching.
I agree on this not being the endgame. Matz only costs 5 million, and I doubt they go into the season without adding at least one more starter they can trust in the starting rotation

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Not giving up much in that trade I don't think. Likely guys the front office knew were going to have to go anyways.

More noteworthy is that we can't help but have the Mets in EVERY news story this offseason

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Stripling, Matz and Chatwood are all guys that I would consider pen options that can potentially find some new legs and give us spot starts and eat innings if need be.

I don't mind a move like this considering opening 40-man roster space was necessary. So losing the 3 prospects we did doesn’t give me any pause as it helps resolve an issue while providing in another area.

But if they come out and consider him a lock as a starter and they’re happy with the rotation then I am slightly concerned.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Remember we offered Hand 2yrs 16 million. Worse case Matz is the power lefty in bullpen for 5.2 million vs 8 million. Best case scenario Walker fixes Matz to what potential he has and he’s our #5 starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad