Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VI: I declare this the summer of George!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I would bet money on another starter being added. But here we are essentially creating a 40-man spot and upgrading a fringe guy like Reid-Foley to an actual MLB arm for taking on the money. Good depth upgrade.

Trade is fine value wise. But this is a gamble upside play not a contender play. There better be more.

Reactions: aingefan

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Matz move is fine to me. It's not the pitching move we all want, and it's a few steps below what they've done with the last few moves, but if they see something they think they can fix then it's not a bad risk to take given the cost.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I really see this as clearing spots on the 40 man roster while acquiring SP depth with proven ability to be an effective lefty in the bullpen with strikeout capabilities. We were looking for a lefty and we now have one.

Exactly. Same deal as what Cashman did a couple of days ago to clear 40-man spots. Only difference is the Yanks ended up with Taillon instead of Matz...

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Well. There’s the power lefty for the pen I wanted.
Not THE power lefty I wanted.
He’s been pretty good most of his career, last year atrocious, but a strong k:bb ratio.
I liked Diaz, but he’s a tier below a bunch of other prospects. Winch was interesting. SRF can’t command the strike zone, but if he ever manages to, he’ll be a useful arm.
Had numbers of players at the bottom of the 40 man to move.
Overall, I get it, don’t love it, but see it as a viable gamble. With littke commitment.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Three pitching prospects for 1 year of Matz? This looks like the Fisher deal, where they probably think all three guys are trash. I do think there's some upside in the arm and we retain the right to qualify him.

Now if we could just get rid of garbage like Fisher, Zeuch, Grichuk for another potentially useful player.

Reactions: smitty10

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Rodon is a free agent right? Has anyone who has seen him lately confirm if he's trash or if there's reclamation potential?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm not a fan of the opener but it looks like Matz is a prime candidate for that. He can to pitch 3-4 innings after the opener;

SplitGIPERERAtOPS+
1st inning107105.2746.3134
2nd inning105103.2413.5690
3rd inning102101.2474.1698
4th inning9795393.6989
5th inning8985.2383.9979
6th inning7360.1304.48110
7th inning2722104.0985
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Three pitching prospects for 1 year of Matz? This looks like the Fisher deal, where they probably think all three guys are trash. I do think there's some upside in the arm and we retain the right to qualify him.

Now if we could just get rid of garbage like Fisher, Zeuch, Grichuk for another potentially useful player.

Are we going to even have a AAA season? I'm guessing yes, but these AAAA arms really risk stagnating this year. imo

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I'm just leaving this here as a reminder to everyone.

Shpairo and Atkins are enjoying their time spending. Years of doing nothing in Cleveland, must feel nice to have some freedom.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Jays got 60M+ coming off the books next season;
Marcus Semien - $18
Tanner Roark - $12
Robbie Ray - $8
Kirby Yates - $5.5M with 4.5M in incentives
Steven Matz - $5.2M
Tulo Buyout - $4M
Shun Yamaguchi - $3.17M
Tyler Chatwood - $3M
Rafael Dolis - 1.5M
Anderson buyout - $0.5M

What's the free agent SP market look like next year?

Also, from listening to AM590, sounds like management are really high on Mayweather and Hatch to blossom along with Ray of course and really think him and Walker clicked.

Lots of hope in Pearson as well but unlikely he sees anywhere close to 200 innings no?
Add Walker or Odirizzi and I'd be content with the offense keeping up/compensating with the lean rotation.
Possible cap flexibility to see how things go and maybe add an arm later in the year?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Also, from listening to AM590, sounds like management are really high on Mayweather and Hatch to blossom along with Ray of course and really think him and Walker clicked.

Lots of hope in Pearson as well but unlikely he sees anywhere close to 200 innings no?
Add Walker or Odirizzi and I'd be content with the offense keeping up with the lean rotation.
Possible cap flexibility to see how things go and maybe add an arm later in the year?

Notable free agents next off-season:
First base:
Freeman, Rizzo, Belt
Third base: Arenado (opt-out), Bryant
Shortstop: Lindor, Báez, Correa, Seager, Story
Starters: Syndergaard, Kershaw, Scherzer, Greinke, Lynn, Eduardo Rodriguez, Bundy, McCullers

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013

I'm less worried about the FA market next year than inking our "young core" to long extensions and buying up a few years of control. Put the money there. We can "supplement" the group from the minors with young, cheap, high upside talent,,, SWR, Martin, Groshans, Manoah, etc.,, and even with a breakthrough guy or 2 like Merryweather and Hatch.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm less worried about the FA market next year than inking our "young core" to long extensions and buying up a few years of control. Put the money there. We can "supplement" the group from the minors with young, cheap, high upside talent,,, SWR, Martin, Groshans, Manoah, etc.,, and even with a breakthrough guy or 2 like Merryweather and Hatch.

For sure, dont want to block any budding SP in the making.
Just overwhelmed with all the options we have ya know.
Been a couple decades since this team has had such buzz to do big things with so many different avenues.

Really high on SWR. Hoping he isnt too far away.

Reactions: BigBlu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad