Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt V: Spring(er) has Sprung: Jays sign OF George Springer (6y/$150m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is nonsense. Sticky didn't do anything. You made a claim, cited Davidi, then said that Sticky or someone else was responsible for posting the information from Davidi on here rather than you. You can't throw other peoples' names out there to validate your assertions then put the onus of credibility on them when they had nothing to do with any of it. Especially once nobody can find the Davidi info you're citing and Sticky has entirely refuted your assertion that he did anything.
Thanks man. You didn't have to do defend me though:)

Well, one' thing's for sure. LOUD NOISES in the morning are going to be an effective way to wake people up.

Here's to Tim & whoever turning the show into an interesting conversational format rather than just "drunk uncle sid screaming hot takes for a whole afternoon"
Sid got annoying but seems like a good guy. Good luck to him. I'm going to laugh if they promote Dangle to his spot:laugh:

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I just think Sid wanted a changed of pace. When they dropped down from 3 hours to 2 it really took a hit I think. Tim and Sid were destined for a 1-4 time slot and should be there now. Writers Bloc should be 4-7 like I have no idea who chose that one

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Shi Davidi was just talking on sportsnet about DiDi and how there is interest.

Interesting and great fit (defense and left bat)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thanks man. You didn't have to do defend me though:)

I'm defending common sense and decency as much as you. I don't like people misrepresenting things or trying to obfuscate their involvement/responsibility for stuff. If someone has legit news to share, cool. But if they're going to share stuff that doesn't add up and then try to shift blame to other parties in an effort not to be held accountable for the inconsistencies in their story or apparent manipulation of events, I'm going to want to address it.

Sid got annoying but seems like a good guy. Good luck to him. I'm going to laugh if they promote Dangle to his spot:laugh:

Seems like he might be a bit too Leafs-centric for a general sports show that has nationwide reach. I know they've had any of Faizal Khamisa, Donovan Bennett, and Danielle Michaud (I think that's her name?) cover when Tim & Sid have been off, so I would wonder if one of them might be a replacement candidate. Actually, didn't Michaud take off for a while because she had a kid or something? I would think that a regular afternoon/evening gig would be a better/more stable gig for her to work around for family time than hosting graveyard shift editions of Connected.

Reactions: stickty111

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'm defending common sense and decency as much as you. I don't like people misrepresenting things or trying to obfuscate their involvement/responsibility for stuff. If someone has legit news to share, cool. But if they're going to share stuff that doesn't add up and then try to shift blame to other parties in an effort not to be held accountable for the inconsistencies in their story or apparent manipulation of events, I'm going to want to address it.

Seems like he might be a bit too Leafs-centric for a general sports show that has nationwide reach. I know they've had any of Faizal Khamisa, Donovan Bennett, and Danielle Michaud (I think that's her name?) cover when Tim & Sid have been off, so I would wonder if one of them might be a replacement candidate. Actually, didn't Michaud take off for a while because she had a kid or something? I would think that a regular afternoon/evening gig would be a better/more stable gig for her to work around for family time than hosting graveyard shift editions of Connected.

They'll need an interesting personality next to Tim. Tim is a good pro, but he's boring. Bennett has been a solid fill-in for them, but I don't know if he fits the bill. Dangle would fit the bill in terms of personality - but to your point, he may not be versatile enough. I could see JD Bunkis being considered - he's still green and talks a bit too much, but his all-around sports knowledge is outstanding and he's a lively personality.

ps: Oh, it was JD this morning who said Didi was his #1 target, and Dan Schulman liked the fit.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I prefer Semiens but Didi makes a lot of sense too, maybe more sense. Knows the division and played well. Has the lefty bat which we really need and the Jays were on him last off-season.

Didi's last 162 games: 32 HRs, 118 RBIs, 155 Hits, 103 wRC+, 252 BABIP, 3.2 fWAR
2.5 UZR/150, 16.4 DEF rating.

Major League Leaderboards » 2018 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

Adding that kind of defense to the left side of your infield, that type of left handed bat and familiarity to the division to this Jays team would be a good addition. Would gladly take him on a 1-2 year deal.

Springer CF
Biggio 2B/3B
Bichette SS/3B
Hernandez DH/RF
Gregorius SS/3B
Guerrero 1B/3B
Gurriel LF
Tellez 1B/DH
Jansen C

Grichuk OF

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I got a "creative" trade idea

You need to answer 2 questions first;

1. If Grichuk was making league minimum do you think he would be worth a lot more in trade at say 600k per for the next 3 years?

2. If Zach Plesac was a free agent and said he would sign a 3 year deal at 10M per (same as Grichuk’s current deal) with you (the Jays), would you do it?

If you said yes to both questions, then do you think it makes sense for Toronto and Cleveland to make the following trade:

To Cleveland:
OF Randall Grichuk at 600k per for the next 3 years
SP Trent Thornton

To Toronto:
SP Zach Plesac
Toronto retains $29M of Grichuk's salary

My reasoning;

Toronto doesnt have room for Grichuk and at 10M per he isnt worth a lot even though he can be a 2-3 WAR player. So if you have the 30M cost sunk into the team already, why not absorb it and use it to your advantage to make Grichuk more attractive in trade and acquire a big need.

And vice versa for Cleveland: Grichuk for Plesac makes no sense for Cleveland because Grichuk makes too much money. But if Grichuk is coming to you at a league minimum for 3 years then you may have interest in trading a 26 year old 2-4 WAR pitcher for 29 year old 2-3 WAR OF and a depth starter.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlu

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I got a "creative" trade idea

You need to answer 2 questions first;

1. If Grichuk was making league minimum do you think he would be work a lot more in trade at say 600k per for the next 3 years?

2. If Zach Plesac was a free agent and said he would sign a 3 year deal at 10M per with you (the Jays), would you do it?

If you said yes to both questions, then do you think it makes sense for Toronto and Cleveland to make the following trade:

To Cleveland:
OF Randall Grichuk at 600k per for the next 3 years
SP Trent Thornton

To Toronto:
SP Zach Plesac
Toronto retains $29M of Grichuk's salary

My reasoning;

Toronto doesnt have room for Grichuk and at 10M per he isnt worth a lot even though he can be a 2-3 WAR player. So if you have the 30M cost sunk into the team already, why not absorb it and use it to your advantage to make Grichuk more attractive in trade and acquire a big need.

And vice versa for Cleveland: Grichuk for Plesac makes no sense for Cleveland because Grichuk makes too much money. But if Grichuk is coming to you at a league minimum for 3 years then you may have interest in trading a 26 year old 2-4 WAR pitcher for 29 year old 2-3 WAR OF and a depth starter.

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t think we’d have to eat all of it but I would entertain it if they are like 1.5 to 2 per. For a 2 or 3 war player there’s certainly still lots of value and they could turn around and flip him later really. Either I like the idea. It’s a solid basis for a deal we’d likely have to include some low level prospects to it. But you know you’re opening up a spot for Fisher so pick your poison lol

Scion

May 25, 2012
Tanaka is a close friend of mine. He just said he's packing his bags for Dunedin. True story.

Lol, I realize now that what I said sounded sarcastic given the context of the previous pages in this thread, but I was serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad