Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt V: Spring(er) has Sprung: Jays sign OF George Springer (6y/$150m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
continue:

Last thread: Blue Jays Discussion: - Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Also, to be clear, yes, that actually happened:

I22ooIT2ZjMynokVzYiwvG0Y1W8=.gif

Alternate gif:

IqlPjzPNZjPoIcxkosS6tqfFVWk=.gif

Reactions: Kurtz

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Congrats, Shatkins.

giphy.gif

Great signing!

Moves will follow for sure. I could see Brantley coming over and one more frontline starter.

I would like to see them upgrade 3rd as well but if we end up with Springer, Brantley, (insert starter) and Yates I will not complain.

Last edited:

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Great signing!

Moves will follow for sure. I could see Bradley coming over and one more frontline starter.

I would like to see them upgrade 3rd as well but if we end up with Springer, Bradley, (insert starter) and Yates I will not complain.
Are you talking about Jackie Bradley Jr? Why would we go for him now?

Reactions: TopChedder

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Are you talking about Jackie Bradley Jr? Why would we go for him now?
If we miss on Brantley, Bradley jr. Would be a solid 4th outfielder for us. Hes an average bat but excellent defensively. Hes a massive upgrade on Fisher or Grichuk. Not that I think that's where the money should go, but, nonetheless.

Reactions: TopChedder

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Wow, they did it! Never thought he’d choose Toronto.

Didn’t realize Springer was already 31 so the 6 years seems risky, but hard to be mad at the Jays actually signing a free agent of his caliber.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Wow, they did it! Never thought he’d choose Toronto.

Didn’t realize Springer was already 31 so the 6 years seems risky, but hard to be mad at the Jays actually signing a free agent of his caliber.

Presumably it's heavily front loaded. Pay Springer big money now while Vlad, Nate, Bo, Lourdes, etc cost almost nothing, and then have his contract decline to something more reasonable as the young core starts making the big $$.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Shout out to the seemingly random guy on twitter, Brendon Kuhn. He called it. I thought he was full of shit given he had no twitter followers but here we are.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Shout out to the seemingly random guy on twitter, Brendon Kuhn. He called it. I thought he was full of shit given he had no twitter followers but here we are.
Every verified insider was once a twitter account with no followers.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Assuming we miss on Bauer - what other moves could we make to get a mid to high end starter?

Sonny Gray?
Hendricks (+ Bryant)?

If we are still in on Brantley that could mean they have a deal in place involving Gurriel jr already.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nice, aside from the obvious I like that he adds some leadership and playoff experience to this young group

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Assuming we miss on Bauer - what other moves could we make to get a mid to high end starter?

Sonny Gray?
Hendricks (+ Bryant)?

If we are still in on Brantley that could mean they have a deal in place involving Gurriel jr already.
Tanaka and Paxton are still available. I'd be surprised if we didn't get Paxton tbh. Walker seems like he wants to come back as well. Still missing that #2 in that scenario. If Brantley jr is signed theres a good chance they'd go after one of the Reds starters. Guys like Grichuk and Fisher are as good as gone and would be involved. Tellez as well as Gurriel. Theres a lot of moving parts and between all of those players and a prospect or two, we should be able to land a pretty good starter.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Agree with a couple posters from last thread on giving up assets for Castillo may be the better move over Bauer; I’d be scared of throwing in on Bauer with his track record or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad