Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt V: Spring(er) has Sprung: Jays sign OF George Springer (6y/$150m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
How much money do you figure we have left to spend this offseason?

Assuming Springer's contract is frontloaded, the Jays payroll is probably sitting around $105-110M right now.

If fans were in attendance, I think they'd be willing to go up to ~$150M. Without fans, it's hard to say. Trades might be more likely than a big signing, as we could move money like Grichuk out in that case. Or possibly a big signing, but with us trying to dump salary elsewhere in a trade.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And if he turns out to be as good as Wells I’d be happy with it.

Yeah, peak Wells was a really good player, and if the Jays got peak Wells value (around a 4 WAR player over a multi-year stretch) that would be awesome. I'm just saying Springer has been quite a bit better than that so far in his career, particularly offensively.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Realmuto turned down 5 years $100 million from the Phillies. I cant see us topping that.

I can. Offer him 5 years at 110 with team option for a 6 year.

We signed Martin for what we did. Cost of doing business has gone up. Realmuto is a better catcher as well.

Signing him will bring starters to Toronto. He is one of the best receivers if not best in the league.

Reactions: Gargyn

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I’m seeing Brantley signing here along with Odorizzi and then I see a trade of Tellez and prospects for Bryant and Hendricks.

Ryu-Hendricks-Odorizzi-Pearson-Ray

CF Springer
2B Biggio
SS Bichette
RF Hernandez
DH Brantley
3B Bryant
1B Guerrero
LF Gurriel
C Jansen

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How much money do you figure we have left to spend this offseason?
Right now it looks like around $115 million after signing Springer. I could very well be wrong on that though. If they dump Grichuk that clears a bit over $9 million a year. IIRC they're looking to spend up to $175 million on payroll. So even if you don't subtract Grichuks contract, that's still plenty of money to sign Brantley, Paxton and trade for an expensive starter. As much as I like Realmuto, hes pushing 30 and plays a position that doesnt age well. I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Right now it looks like around $115 million after signing Springer. I could very well be wrong on that though. If they dump Grichuk that clears a bit over $9 million a year. IIRC they're looking to spend up to $175 million on payroll. So even if you don't subtract Grichuks contract, that's still plenty of money to sign Brantley, Paxton and trade for an expensive starter. As much as I like Realmuto, hes pushing 30 and plays a position that doesnt age well. I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

They could pretty easily sign Realmuto and Brantley IMO if the upper range is 175M.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I’m seeing Brantley signing here along with Odorizzi and then I see a trade of Tellez and prospects for Bryant and Hendricks.

Ryu-Hendricks-Odorizzi-Pearson-Ray

CF Springer
2B Biggio
SS Bichette
RF Hernandez
DH Brantley
3B Bryant
1B Guerrero
LF Gurriel
C Jansen
Tellez holds that kind of value? Or are you talking about giving up good prospects?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I’m thinking solid B level guys. Orelvis Martinez maybe as the “headliner”, Kloffenstein, Pardinho, Smith etc
I highly doubt the Jays give up a top 100 prospect for 1 year of Bryant and Hendricks.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I can't see the Jays shooting right up to 175M. Realistically the 175M will be in a couple years and at that point the younger guys will be hitting arbitration.

I am thinking that as well. Jays would have to overpay for Realmuto and with the catching depth they have, he's not an extreme need. I really think Jansen will be much better offensively next year.

I do think the Jays will add pieces via FA or even trade but I don't think they will add a huge FA piece.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I can. Offer him 5 years at 110 with team option for a 6 year.

We signed Martin for what we did. Cost of doing business has gone up. Realmuto is a better catcher as well.

Signing him will bring starters to Toronto. He is one of the best receivers if not best in the league.
Realmuto isn't a better catcher than Martin was. Martin was a 6.2 WAR catcher when he signed here. Realmuto is close to that, but let's not pretend he's better. Cost of doing business has gone up, sure, but when guys like Bauer are still out there, that's where you overpay IMO. The catcher position is a strength already. I'm not saying dont sign Realmuto, I just cant see Atkins topping the Phillies offer for a catcher pushing 30 for $20 million a year when there's 3 or 4 cheap options in the system.

Reactions: canucksfan and DJB

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I really don't see the point in sinking the kind of money Realmuto will command into him at this point. The only time he made sense to me was in the scenario that we struck out on the other big names. We got Springer, our lineup is deep we can fully afford to let our young catchers develop and not sink resources into that position. Sign a couple starters and maybe another cheaper bat. Keeps some flexibility going forward.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They could pretty easily sign Realmuto and Brantley IMO if the upper range is 175M.
That doesnt mean they'll go right to $175 million though. They arent the Yankees or Dodgers who can just spend with no consequences. Ryu and Springer were signed because they were huge needs. Realmuto isn't.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hendricks still has a few years left, no? Maybe I’m wrong. If not switch out Martinez for Jimenez or De Castro.
The Padres have shown you don't need to trade your best prospects to improve your rotation. The Jays prospect pool is slightly worse than the Padres but still top 3 in baseball imo. Unless it's for Castillo I'd refrain from moving Martin, Groshans, Martinez, SWR or Kirk

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That doesnt mean they'll go right to $175 million though. They arent the Yankees or Dodgers who can just spend with no consequences. Ryu and Springer were signed because they were huge needs. Realmuto isn't.

I like Jansen but C is a need based on the performance over the last two seasons.

Reactions: Gargyn

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think Realmuto was.alwaya a last resort plan. Springer seemed to be the #1 target and while they liked Kim, Hendricks, Lindor, etc., they had a price in those guys and didn't overpay to get them.

From the start guys like Shi have said their plan was to get an impact bat at a premium position of need. Check.

I think they turn their focus now to the rotation and finish off the pen. Either it is Bauer or perhaps 2 of Odorizzi, Tanaka, Walker, etc.

Still need to sign an infielder, preferably one that can play 3B too, so maybe that's Semien or Turner. Don't live Vlad or Biggio there, but if they do then maybe they target Didi or Wong instead.

A trade could be possible too to address the SP, 3B or both in the same deal, but I'm sure they'd keep prospects before cash.

Signing Brantley as a LH hitter is a game changer just due to roster spots. Even if Gurriel moves to RF and Teo is a full time DH and Vlad a full time 1B, you still have zero room then for Teller or Grichuk except for guys getting days off. Seems if they add another OFer there is a subsequent trade coming.

Reactions: aingefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad