Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt IV | Ah the waiting game sucks, let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It's crazy to think what Shapiro could've pulled off in Cleveland if he had access to a payroll like the Jays would have during their contention period. He'll get that chance this offseason and in the coming years, glad to know he'll be able to oversee this young core's future.

Reactions: sabresEH

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Haven't been a big Shapiro fan, but he has a vision of where he wants the team to be and how to get there, so it's nice to have that continue for the next half decade at least. Nothing worse than having a regime build up something, only for a new one upheaving it and taking it in a different direction.

Hoping he gets the wheels moving in a lot of off-field decisions as well, primarily a new ballpark or retrofitting the SkyDome into a more modern one.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wasn't a fan of Shapito early but has grown on me and am happy to have him for the long term. Important time for the organization coming.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Shapiro staying put bodes well for the Blue Jays. Should help in negotiations with FA considering they didnt know the person they were speaking to wasnt guaranteed to deliver on what he was promising in negotiations.

Imagine being a free agent, and Shapiro stating that if you sign here you will be part of the long term solution where Rogers will keep committing to bettering the team into a champion. But the free agent and player arent even sure that he Shapiro that is selling is even part of the plan!!!

This will do good for the Jays mark my words.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Maybe Walker is flying Sunwing from somewhere down south to Toronto to sign deal. Happy news means Shapiro signing means his backer is back with Jays which bodes well for him.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wasn’t enamoured with Shapiro but I was not a Beeston fan by any means. So just seeing Beeston leave was a huge plus for me. Shapiro was a smart exec, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Hated that AA left and he was replaced with Atkins. I’m not a big Atkins fan at all but like with any front office, I always gave them time to work things out. And they have done a great job rebuilding the farm.

Now this is when the hard decisions are made. They have set this franchise up pretty nicely for the next 5-10 years. We need to see a solid contention window and a World Series.

Reactions: weems

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2016 .549 w% / .560 pythag%
2017 .469 w% / .444 pythag%
2018 .451 w% / .427 pythag%
2019 .414 w% / .440 pythag%
2020 .533 w% / .485 pythag% --> only 60 games

A lot of narrative riding on those 60gms.

Are there expanded playoffs again this year?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
59-56 since the day Bo Bichette was called up despite a mostly garbage rotation.

Also, I'm pretty sure the narrative is that the youngest lineup in the league might improve a bit and if they add good players to plug obvious holes they might actually be kinda good. Crazy, I know.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well good thing having a garbage rotation isn't management's fault.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Rotation isnt all that bad when you consider history and prospect of what pitchers can be. Ray, Stripling and Roark have been durable a respected starters in their career. Ryu is proven and Pearson has the potential to be an ace.

Its a far cry from the days we had a bunch of call-ups that werent ready for MLB. Its not perfect and really one solid piece away from being a contending team rotation and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille