Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Pt II: It's the off-season in November!... Wait. That's normal for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hypothetical trades from the Athletic:

A Pirates-Blue Jays trade that solves problems for both teams

Five fake trades for one real ace: How to get Blake Snell

GET READY TO FALL OUT OF YOUR CHAIR

Constructing hypothetical Lance Lynn trades between Rangers & Blue Jays or Mets

The Musgrove trade isnt bad from a value perspective. Moreno was just added to the 40 man roster and he is blocked by Jansen, Kirk, McGuire and maybe Adams. That being said, i use Moreno in another trade and just sign a similar free agent for nothing but money.

Three years of Snell is enticing especially if we could get a bat like Brantely to replace Gurriel. And what if we added Bauer too? Snell-Bauer-Ryu-Pearson? Yikes

I wouldnt trade one of Martinex, SWR, or Manoah for 1 year of Lynn plus Montero or Rodriguez so i wouldnt entertain trading 2 of them. Again, i think i can find a pitcher comparable to Lynn on the market for nothing but money.
Musgrove is the only one I’d do. That Snell one is brutal

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Is Gurriel Jr like Willy Nylander of the Jays? Why is he included in every trade proposal, he has greet numbers, young and he is relatively cheap, why is everyone so ready to dump him
Especially when it's where the team is weakest throughout the organization. I know some will say sign this OF or that OF and trade Gurriel but that just plugs one hole and creates another. It's not like they're going to sign both Springer and Brantley.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Is Gurriel Jr like Willy Nylander of the Jays? Why is he included in every trade proposal, he has greet numbers, young and he is relatively cheap, why is everyone so ready to dump him

I get it in a "have to give to get" way, but it makes absolutely no sense because he's cheap and controllable and really good and in his prime and plays a position at which the Jays have absolutely no organizational depth right now, particularly near the major league level.

But I guess some people like the idea of trading that for one year of a superstar (or for the luxury of paying that superstar $30+ million long term) and spending $15-20 to try to replace Gurriel. Which I guess is ok if you don't think all that highly of him anyway, but otherwise...

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Shoutout to Kendrys Morales. We have Gurriel and Pearson because of that guy.

*Pearson yes, Gurriel only a rumour.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

The problem is that he is atrocious in the field and we are trying to upgrade our defense. Signing Springer would be a significant upgrade defensively and Gurriel could be flipped for starting pitching to a team that can hide a bad fielder at the DH position or insulate him with two other good outfielders. Teoscar has improved but is still below average in the field and Grichuk is a decent fielder, hard to imagine us sticking with the worst defensive outfield in the majors for another season. Even with Springer it would still likely be a below average outfield defensively but wouldn't be the adventure/nightmare that it was last season

I love Gurriel's bat as well but he is clearly the odd man out.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The problem is that he is atrocious in the field and we are trying to upgrade our defense. Signing Springer would be a significant upgrade defensively and Gurriel could be flipped for starting pitching to a team that can hide a bad fielder at the DH position or insulate him with two other good outfielders. Teoscar has improved but is still below average in the field and Grichuk is a decent fielder, hard to imagine us sticking with the worst defensive outfield in the majors for another season. Even with Springer it would still likely be a below average outfield defensively but wouldn't be the adventure/nightmare that it was last season

I don't know what you are basing this on, but Gurriel was 6 of 11 qualifying LF using fangraphs composite Def stat (26 of 50 guys who played 100 innings or more in LF). He grades well on fielding with a weak arm which he likely will improve as he learns to play LF (he has limited reps throwing given that he was only converted partway through 2019).

Reactions: Anthrax442

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I didn't realize that Gold Glove nominations were for atrocious defense.

I learned something new today. Huh.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Are you thinking of Teoscar? That guy's defence is absolutely terrible. Gurriel not at all.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Biggio - 159 games, 119 wRC+, 3.9 fWAR
Verdugo - 159 games, 118 wRC+, 3.8 fWAR

Almost identical. And yeah, Biggio is a whole year older. Biggio has more power, walks, and baserunning value, Verdugo has better Ks, a more BABIP-reliant profile, and more defensive value. But overall... nearly identical.
And Gurriel and Teo like your original post mentioned?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

I really like him. He seemed to even play quite good defence? I’d consider him part of the core imo. Keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad