Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Pt II: It's the off-season in November!... Wait. That's normal for baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I think signing Wong/LeMahieu to replace Villar would somewhat complicate things. Even if we move Biggio to 3rd, we'd have to replace Shaw with someone who could play shortstop because Bichette would be the only other on the roster.

Which is totally fine, I'd just like to see an upgrade on Espinal. Perhaps a return of Freddy Galvis? The SS pool in FA seems pretty thin this year and our depth at the position is lacking.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Didn't know a hitter of .245 with .309 obp with a bad bb/k rate is better than a .290 avg. 345 obp hitter.
I mean sure if you want to live in a world where Teoscar is the same hitter the last year and a half that he was prior and that Verdugo's profile isn't heavily reliant on babip luck. Since Teoscar was called back up in 2019 he has been a better hitter then Verdugo. Point blank.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Is Gurriel Jr like Willy Nylander of the Jays? Why is he included in every trade proposal, he has greet numbers, young and he is relatively cheap, why is everyone so ready to dump him
He’s always the rumoured main piece in a deal from Lindor. Aside from that I don’t see any mention of him. I guess outside sources add him in occasionally

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Wow that is a bit more than expected. Between Ray, Smyly, Morton and now May along with the rumored long term deals Wong and Hand are to get, i think some GMs misjudged this off-season. They is going to be a lot of money thrown around.

Edit: Add Minor too. I thought he was getting 9M over 3 years. Instead it’s 9M per for 2 years plus a 13M club option. That’s a lot.

Might help the Jays move Roark. Roark at 5-6M per won’t be bad for a rebuilding team with a big ballpark.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And Gurriel and Teo like your original post mentioned?

My original post only mentioned that they would project as close to 5 win players if we only looked at recent performance and projected that out.

Biggio's the only one I said had "nearly identical value".

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I initially didnt like the Ray signing because i was expecting huge bargains, but it looks like it will be a regular off-season. Hard not to like Ray at $8M.

2021 Fangraphs Zips:
Marcus Stroman: 3.2 fWAR
Charlie Morton: 3.0 fWAR
Kevin Gausman: 2.7 fWAR
Robbie Ray: 2.6 fWAR
Mike Minor: 2.3 fWAR
Drew Smyly: 0.9 fWAR

When you consider the contracts, i take Ray over all these pitchers if these are the outcomes with Morton being a very close 2nd.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I initially didnt like the Ray signing because i was expecting huge bargains, but it looks like it will be a regular off-season. Hard not to like Ray at $8M.

2021 Fangraphs Zips:
Marcus Stroman: 3.2 fWAR
Charlie Morton: 3.0 fWAR
Kevin Gausman: 2.7 fWAR
Robbie Ray: 2.6 fWAR
Mike Minor: 2.3 fWAR
Drew Smyly: 0.9 fWAR

When you consider the contracts, i take Ray over all these pitchers if these are the outcomes with Morton being a very close 2nd.

Stroman is projected to have a higher fWAR than Morton?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Stroman is projected to have a higher fWAR than Morton?
Id imagine Morton staying healthy and general decline due to age is a factor. Morton is 37 years old and Stroman is 29.

And as much as Stroman comes off as an idiot on social media, he's still pretty good.

Reactions: Kurtz

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Jean Segura linked to Toronto. What would he bring other than his position. Sports net just reported the Jays interest.

He’s under contract currently.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

There is some potential there for a Segura/Grichuk bad contract swap. Doing so would also open up CF for either one of Springer or Bradley Jr. If it was something along those lines, I would be have some interest. Other than that, he is a whole lot of meh at his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad