Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 15th: How's that dream job now, Farrell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think the word 'hipster' is being used far too often nowadays.

Hey don't look at me. :laugh: I think this is the first time I've used the term on an online forum. It was my first thought when trying to describe the hat. Anyways I'll withhold anymore judgement until I see one in person. It is just a batting practice hat afterall.

Someone in the MLB forum had a good point about it which is skewing my thought process slightly. While it may not seem to have any connection to the Bluejays on it, it has the potential to just be a solid "anywhere" hat. Would have liked to see some evidence of the bluejay on it though.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I might change my mind when I see them in person, which is often the case for uniforms and jerseys. As of right now though, it looks like a multi-colour maple leaf hipster hat.

I agree with this lol.

Also what the hell is up with the "screaming indian" that's just horrible for the braves! hahah!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I might change my mind when I see them in person, which is often the case for uniforms and jerseys. As of right now though, it looks like a multi-colour maple leaf hipster hat.

It's not hipster-y enough to be a hipster hat. It would need plaid, pointless gold/silver highlights, to be a single solid color with no differentiation at all, or use colors not anywhere close to those of the actual team to be a proper hipster hat.

they should've made it up as a sort of hybrid faux retro version of the Delgado/Green era Jays logo instead.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I agree with this lol.

Also what the hell is up with the "screaming indian" that's just horrible for the braves! hahah!

Haha, no idea Rocket. It looks like someone's tattoo. :laugh:

I don't want to come off as a negative nancy though, there are some gems. Oakland, Colorado, and Washington have great ones.

8310664234_8b2249f676.jpg

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24
Did u guys see the new batting practice hats #Jays #MapleLeaf http://es.pn/RTWNS0 Idk about the B- grade.Damn right were Canada's only team

personally i'm not a fan of the new hat but nice to see ricky supporting it.

Its nice to see him backing it but, as patriotic and maple-syrup in my veins as I am, I'd have given it a worse mark than B-.

It looks like a dollar store design; there were so many other possibilities that could've been used: a blue jay starting from the base of the cap; a silhouette of the existing logo; the 1997 logo; a 2004+ logo with different colours (I know I'm in the very small minority that liked the design); and I actually really liked the bird with its wings open in this design: http://thestar.smgmedia.topscms.com/images/cb/ce/077e292349b1a5afc03e0ceabe01.jpeg

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24
Did u guys see the new batting practice hats #Jays #MapleLeaf http://es.pn/RTWNS0 Idk about the B- grade.Damn right were Canada's only team

The new Astros BP cap looks great, IMO. It's hard to tell if the whole crown is orange (preferred) instead of just the front panel.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ricky Romero ‏@RickyRo24

I like it. It's only for batting practice and a huge part of the marketing plan is to have all Canadians feel like this is their team. This hat will boost sales to non-baseball fans (because of the Maple Leaf) and will showcase them as Canada's team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's not hipster-y enough to be a hipster hat. It would need plaid, pointless gold/silver highlights, to be a single solid color with no differentiation at all, or use colors not anywhere close to those of the actual team to be a proper hipster hat.

I knew it wasn't a "true" hipster hat when I noticed that there wasn't an Ipod jack on it somewhere.

Urban Explorer*

TBH I hate when any canadian team other than the maple leafs uses a maple leaf. It makes it seem like we have little brother syndrome. Hey look we're canadian! It's the Toronto blue Jays not the Canada Blue Jays. I realize it's the only MLB team in canada so I cut them some slack, but I cut no slack to the calgary flames or winnipeg jets who incorporate maple leafs into their unis.

You don't see American teams putting old glory on all their uniforms unless the team is named something patriotic like the Patriots or Blue Jackets.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Watching the World Series repeat, it reaffirms my belief that the Dome is a great venue/atmosphere for baseball when full.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism that is thrown upon them through media and marketing. It's not surprising, in the slightest, to see the Maple Leaf predicated everywhere.

I think it makes us look silly. Just my opinion though.

I agree.

If you look past the Maple Leaf, you will also see: winter, apparently unique to Canada; hockey, a Canadian game; a cold beer, a Canadian drink (see "I am Canadian"); Tim Horton's, where apparently every Canadian goes; and anything thing to do with Vimy Ridge or the War of 1812.

The satirical attempt's that involve: living in igloos, riding horses/dog sleds, peacekeeping, the beaver, tuques, and pronunciation of letters, namely, "z" has grown tremendously old.

This country is so MUCH more. But apparently we are told the opposite.

Last edited:

Urban Explorer*

Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism that is thrown upon them through media and marketing. It's not surprising, in the slightest, to see the Maple Leaf predicated everywhere.

I think it makes us look silly and that we can't come up with any cool designs. Just my opinion though.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Lol no they don't... Canada needs MORE patriotism... it's pathetic at times how unpatriotic Canada is.

I agree.

If you look past the Maple Leaf, you will also see: winter, apparently unique to Canada; hockey, a Canadian game; a cold beer, a Canadian drink (see "I am Canadian"); Tim Horton's, where apparently every Canadian goes; and anything thing to do with Vimy Ridge or the War of 1812.

The satirical attempt's that involve: living in igloos, riding horses/dog sleds, peacekeeping, the beaver, tuques, and pronunciation of letters, namely, "z" has grown tremendously old.

This country is so MUCH more. But apparently we are told the opposite.
Similar to the states being linked to eagles, stripes and stars etc?

What good does a homage to the country do if nobody outside of the country understands it?

Oh and every Canadian does go to Timmies.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Lol no they don't... Canada needs MORE patriotism... it's pathetic at times how unpatriotic Canada is.

You clearly did not read what I said correctly. I never once said Canada does not have patriotism or a lack thereof.

Similar to the states being linked to eagles, stripes and stars etc?

The states does not use this as a marketing tool, while Canada does, which is what this discussion is about, namely, why does the commercialization of patriotism need to be used as a marketing tool to sell products?

What good does a homage to the country do if nobody outside of the country understands it?

What? I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, or how it is relevant to the discussion.

Oh and every Canadian does go to Timmies.

Not sure if serious here, or just trolling.

MrLegend28*

Canadians have an extreme sense of patriotism

HAHA, thats funny. Canadians are the polar opposite of patriot, EXCEPT during the Winter Olympics. During every national sporting event you see every other countries flag rising.

When you ask someone what they are, they dont reply canadian they reply "Italian" "Greek" etc etc.

Urban Explorer*

I think we're getting off track with the patriotism/nationalism debate, guys.

I think it's a valid point to bring up in critiquing the Jays new BP hat and considering we're in the off season with no new news lately...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think it's a valid point to bring up in critiquing the Jays new BP hat.

no. A valid point to bring up in critiquing the new BP hat is the new BP hat. Patriotism in Canada is tangential at best to the discussion.

But really, that's all irrelevant now since we're at 1000 posts and this thread needs to be locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad