Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 14th: Who is bigger, Dickey or Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Work ethic is usually a defining trait of every proffesional athlete, its the lazy ones who are the exception and not the rule.

Flying to Nashville in the offseason seems like a bit above and beyond the requirements, to me. I can't recall exactly but didnt he do something similar last year?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Flying to Nashville in the offseason seems like a bit above and beyond the requirements, to me. I can't recall exactly but didnt he do something similar last year?

Pretty sure he lives in Nashville.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Also the general perception of 'work ethic' in baseball is still based on, well, certain factors.

Let's just say that all the players who people decried up here as having a bad work ethic over the past 10 years all had something in common.

Well the most recent and obvious case I can think of is Rios.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

He is from there, its not to much for him to arrange lol.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He lived in Miami when growing up, went to school at Tennesee and now lives there during the offseason.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Well, we got him. I'd worry more about Colby and Lind.

The only extent to which I worry about Rasmus is if the Jays let him live off of his pedigree again in hopes that he turns into the player he was projected to be (instead of the player he's been for two years). If he fails to meet his potential (and I would say that is more likely than not) we have other options.

If Rasmus lives up to expectations, great. But letting him slump for four, five, six weeks at a time and leaving him in the lineup is just not acceptable.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Anyone think we could sign Roy Halladay as a free agent in 2014? :naughty:

Could we? Maybe.

Should we? No, unless there is an opening in the fifth spot of the rotation.

The only extent to which I worry about Rasmus is if the Jays let him live off of his pedigree again in hopes that he turns into the player he was projected to be (instead of the player he's been for two years). If he fails to meet his potential (and I would say that is more likely than not) we have other options.

If Rasmus lives up to expectations, great. But letting him slump for four, five, six weeks at a time and leaving him in the lineup is just not acceptable.

And this is a fair concern. My worry though (as with Lind and Arencibia), is that the Jays and media will see the 20-25 HR, 60-70 RBI, and .220 average and somehow deem it a success, even if the Jays make the playoffs.

Gotta think this their shape up or ship out year (Arencibia not included).

Well, we got him. I'd worry more about Colby and Lind.

It's fair to worry about them all, to be honest and not a "downer". However, what separates this year from years past is that the Jays could still be a playoff team even without their success. In other words, the Jays do not need them to perform extremely well to be a good team. It sure would be a bonus though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
For anyone doesn't mind answering - who was Dickey's catch last season with the Mets?

The guy we traded for, Josh Thole.

I don't expect him to catch Dickey every time though, if the Jays plan on having Dickey till he's at least 44, probably older, they'll want Arencibia learning how to catch him. I think we'll see (Assuming Dickey is healthy all season) Thole catch 25 of his games, Arencibia 5-6 of his games and Nickeas 1 or 2.

Reason? Thole isn't going to be here for very long, don't expect him to be here even at the end of Dickey's current contract. He's pretty bad at everything. He's got no power, his discipline is pretty similar to Arencibia, he's nothing special defensively. The only upside is he knows how to catch a knuckleball. He can teach JPA to catch it in the next 2 years.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Should we? No, unless there is an opening in the fifth spot of the rotation.

It all depends what Roy is asking for contractually. If he's healthy and he's wanting to come back at reasonable dollars, it would be beyond stupid to not get Doc. Scenarios where it makes a lot of sense are numerous (JJ doesn't get sign, Romero can't bounce back). Heck, even a serious injury to any of the five and it might make sense.

And this is a fair concern. My worry though (as with Lind and Arencibia), is that the Jays and media will see the 20-25 HR, 60-70 RBI, and .220 average and somehow deem it a success, even if the Jays make the playoffs.

20-25 gopher balls and 70 rbi would be just fine. However, he needs to get on base at least 25 more times this season.

Especially if we have the human 'not get on base' machine behind the plate.

Gotta think this their shape up or ship out year (Arencibia not included).

Why is he not included? Look, I'm a guy who can live with offensive numbers like JPs from a starting catcher. But if that is the case, I want somebody who excels behind the plate. JP brings neither. Take away his home runs and there are probably a dozen guys that can offer exactly what JP did littering the AAA and AA ranks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Because he doesn't have good advanced stats. That's why people want Jaso and his elite discipline over Arencibia who has better just about everything else (Including defense).

What? Nobody wants Jaso. At least nobody with common sense wants Jaso.

And you don't need advanced stats to see the issue with Arencibia. When he's not hitting home runs, he's not hitting. And he can't take a walk either.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Because he doesn't have good advanced stats. That's why people want Jaso and his elite discipline over Arencibia who has better just about everything else (Including defense).

It's because he's not a very good catcher as of this moment. Has nothing to do with advanced stats. The basic ones like avg, obp, bb/k, and your eyes tell the story.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Why is he not included? Look, I'm a guy who can live with offensive numbers like JPs from a starting catcher. But if that is the case, I want somebody who excels behind the plate. JP brings neither. Take away his home runs and there are probably a dozen guys that can offer exactly what JP did littering the AAA and AA ranks.

You can't take something away to suit your arguement. Let's take away Bautista's discipline, he's not as good a player. Let's take away Johnson's velocity, how strong will he pitch? Let's take away Gose's defense, he's (If his bat doesn't improve, which it will) Rajai Davis.

I hate when someone says "Let's take away _____ and we'll see how bad someone is". It's not an arguement, JPAs power makes him standout, few catchers posses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad