Off-Season Game Plan: Florida Panthers

CoolburnIsGone

Yes, they have some pieces to the puzzle, but there's that thing consistency. We'll see if all the players you mentioned will bring it every year or this past year was simply a fluke. A few seasons ago, they thought Steve Mason was their number one and he stunk after their playoff berth, so they shipped him.
Sure but they just missed the playoffs last yr due to tie breaker of regulation wins and then made it this yr, pretty convincingly too. They're a team thats improving so to suggest it was just a fluke isnt even a question to me. You also have to factor in that they did make the playoffs without Horton basically, a top 6 forward capable of giving them around 50 pts.

Mason only had his rookie yr where he played that well and they rushed him to the NHL. Bob has been excellent for the last 2 yrs...among the NHL's elite, winning the Vezina last yr and still among the league leaders this yr. With the change in management too, I wouldnt be too concerned with the short (or long) term direction of the Jackets.
Columbus should be a model team for us. Most of the key players on that team are young guys who are only going to get better. We actually might have a better young core than them, especially if we add Ekblad to the mix. The difference is their vets >>> our vets. They also have their goalie of the present and the future in Bobrovsky. The key for us is to improve the role players around our young talent and find a young goalie to develop behind Luongo.
I agree completely that they should be the model. I dont think we have a better young core really, even if we add Ekblad. Murray is probably just as good if not better than Ekblad is and he's already in the NHL playing 20 mins/game. Johansen put up >60 pts this yr so he's still ahead of Barkov & Bjugstad too. The biggest difference is they have a young franchise goaltender which we do not have. We could eventually have a better core but I'm not sure we catch them if most of their guys pan out the way it seems they will.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewEraPanther

#CatsAreComing
Apr 8, 2014
Miami
@Buccigross: Boston College dman Michael Matheson will return to BC for 2013-14 season- was the 23rd overall pick by the Panthers of the 2012 NHL Draft

I think they meant 2014-2015. Looks like we have longer to wait for Matheson.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
That lineup is awful lol, but I see where they are coming from. I dream of:

Bergy/Boyes-Barkov-UFA (MATT MOULSON)
Hubby-Bjugstad-Pirri
Bergy/Boyes- Shore-Trocheck
Kopecky-Winchester-Hayes

Campbell-Kulikov (its put up or shut up time)
UFA Veteran- Ekblad
Guds-Olsen (I want to see this again)

^These D lines get shuffled around as Ekblad gets his feet under him or as Kulikov struggles

I think theres going to be a bigger shake up than this, remember, Tallon says he wants to bring in at least 5 veterans.

I'd have no problem seeing what we could get for shore, kopecky, winchester, hayes and olsen either.

There's only so many character guys you can have before you become a team full of penalty killers with the worst penalty kill and power play in the league.

l also would rather see another veteran on D than I would a rookie.

And even though he has made me scratch my head more than once, I think Kulikov is too young and talented to give up on yet. I think by the time he's 26, and the team is better, he'll really blossom into a star.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think theres going to be a bigger shake up than this, remember, Tallon says he wants to bring in at least 5 veterans.

I'd have no problem seeing what we could get for shore, kopecky, winchester, hayes and olsen either.

There's only so many character guys you can have before you become a team full of penalty killers with the worst penalty kill and power play in the league.

l also would rather see another veteran on D than I would a rookie. Even though he has made me scratch my head more than once, I think Kulikov is too young and talented to give up on yet. I think by the time he's 25, and the team is better, he'll really blossom.

Did he say 5 veterans? I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is Gilbert. Plus our draft pick, and we're looking at 3 seasoned players. 4 if you include Gilbert.

tolsen3

Apr 21, 2014
Let's be honest we are probably 2 years away from being able to consistently compete for a playoff spot. With that in mind I feel that the biggest need isn't necessarily offense or defense, but veteran leadership.

We need players who can teach the young guys how to win and to become better pros, the main thrust of the offense will come as Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau and the rest mature. The D will improve with a better system as well as the continued development of Gubranson and Kulikov.

Not taking any trades into account, I wouldn't mind seeing the following realistic additions for next year.

Draft Ekblad

FA signings
Ryan Callahan 6 years

Brooks Orpik 3 years
or
Matt Greene 4 years

Jarome Iginla 2 years

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
With San Jose being eliminated in embarrassing fashion this year I expect wholesale changes down there.

We would be stupid not to jump on some of the players they may or may not make available. Brent Burns would be a great fit on this team. Couture and Pavelski would obviously be incredible too but I don't see them being moved.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
With San Jose being eliminated in embarrassing fashion this year I expect wholesale changes down there.

We would be stupid not to jump on some of the players they may or may not make available. Brent Burns would be a great fit on this team. Couture and Pavelski would obviously be incredible too but I don't see them being moved.

Patrick Marleau please.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Dan Boyle anyone?

Kulikov - Campbell
Gudbranson - Boyle
Ekblad/Meszaros - Gilbert/Petrovic/UFA

Jovo as #7, but ideally bought out/retire.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
No, please no. Why do we keep going for these old broken down players? Gomez, Jovo, Kuba, now...Boyle?

Guy still has at least 2 years left. He can still skate at an above average level, which is huge at his age.

Old and broken down? He's missed 27 games in the last 6 years (7 is the most he's missed in any one season during that time).

He also had 36 pts this season, which would have almost led the team. Tallon and others want to talk about bringing in vets to help move along/supplement our young core? This guy would be a perfect fit.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Guy still has at least 2 years left. He can still skate at an above average level, which is huge at his age.

Old and broken down? He's missed 27 games in the last 6 years (7 is the most he's missed in any one season during that time).

He also had 36 pts this season, which would have almost led the team. Tallon and others want to talk about bringing in vets to help move along/supplement our young core? This guy would be a perfect fit.
We need our team to be a much better defensive team. I don't see how Boyle is going to help with that. And he got 36 points on the Sharks. He's not going to be that productive with the Panthers. This, at best, would be a waste of time IMO.

gauseka15

Apr 21, 2014
Isle of Man
If you wouldnt want Boyle on the panthers you dont know hockey. Thank god your not the GM. Thats like a Sabres fan complaining if they were to acquire Campbell.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Let's be honest we are probably 2 years away from being able to consistently compete for a playoff spot. With that in mind I feel that the biggest need isn't necessarily offense or defense, but veteran leadership.

We need players who can teach the young guys how to win and to become better pros, the main thrust of the offense will come as Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau and the rest mature. The D will improve with a better system as well as the continued development of Gubranson and Kulikov.

Not taking any trades into account, I wouldn't mind seeing the following realistic additions for next year.

Draft Ekblad

FA signings
Ryan Callahan 6 years

Brooks Orpik 3 years
or
Matt Greene 4 years

Jarome Iginla 2 years

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Draft Ekblad

FA signings
Ryan Callahan 6 years

Brooks Orpik 3 years
or
Matt Greene 4 years

Jarome Iginla 2 years

No chance Iginla comes here. Even if he wins the cup with Boston this year.

What is all the love for Orpik as well. If we get him, he will be our new Kuba.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
No chance Iginla comes here. Even if he wins the cup with Boston this year.

What is all the love for Orpik as well. If we get him, he will be our new Kuba.

I don't want Orpik either. Hell, even Pen fans don't want him.

2-3 years ago? Hell yea. Now, not really.

Think he'll be the next Jovo for us.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
noone on our board wants flash either

Isn't the LW free agents pool the strongest out of all of the positions available?

I still say Bergenheim could replace most of Flash's points so if he can be packaged to acquire a veteran player who is better, that is a good move. I don't see him being re-signed next year anyhow so let's move on from the Flash - Weiss - Steeg line sooner than later.

I'd way rather have Cammalleri/Moulson etc here than Flash next year.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I don't mind Orpik for 2 years but after that... ugh. And you just know it he'll get more than that.

UFA deals will almost always suck though. Hopefully DT gets players who at least want to play for the Panthers and not come here to retire.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Isn't the LW free agents pool the strongest out of all of the positions available?

I still say Bergenheim could replace most of Flash's points so if he can be packaged to acquire a veteran player who is better, that is a good move. I don't see him being re-signed next year anyhow so let's move on from the Flash - Weiss - Steeg line sooner than later.

I'd way rather have Cammalleri/Moulson etc here than Flash next year.

moulsons career highs arent that far from flash, especially considering the talent he plays with.

flash is still a very servicable top6 lw, people wnat to get rid of him to sign a bunch of similiar players because of a bad year, pathethic

CoolburnIsGone

moulsons career highs arent that far from flash, especially considering the talent he plays with.

flash is still a very servicable top6 lw, people wnat to get rid of him to sign a bunch of similiar players because of a bad year, pathethic
Moulson is a multi-time 30+ goal scorer...you can't say that about Flash. Regardless of career highs in points, the need is for a goal scorer and Flash just isnt that.

You even said it too...Flash is still "servicable". We need to upgrade in some way, we dont need guys anymore who just barely gets the job done.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Moulson is a multi-time 30+ goal scorer...you can't say that about Flash. Regardless of career highs in points, the need is for a goal scorer and Flash just isnt that.

You even said it too...Flash is still "servicable". We need to upgrade in some way, we dont need guys anymore who just barely gets the job done.

yeah, but the way people want to BUY HIM OUT or trade him for scrap is just ridiculous. he's still arguably the most talented forward we have - talented might be the wrong word, but the more talented players have yet to put it together and outproduce his normal production - and people want to get rid of him for one bad year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad