Off-Season Game Plan: Florida Panthers

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
So according to tsn, we dont have any top 6 forwards nor top 4 d-men. (Except bergy and Campbell)

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
20 goal scorer Jimmy Hayes?

Honestly, it's not as unrealistic as you may think.

He scored 11 goals in 53 games for us last season, which is pro-rated to 17 goals over an 82-game sched. The guy has a nose for the net and plays in areas that nowadays, most NHLers just don't go to. We clearly saw the improvement that the powerplay had the moment we put him in front of the net. I see no reason why he can't pot 20 goals in a season ala Ray Sheppard so many years ago. The guy has a huge frame and his hands are good enough to be successful in front of the net for the remainder of his career. 20 goals is completely attainable for the dude.

Well written article, but it's interesting that he talks about the team "adding scoring" and our big off-season acquisition he has is Mike Rupp? :laugh:

I'm waiting to see what Tallon does with Gilbert. I think, if the price is reasonable, we may see him re-signed. He's serviceable enough as a top-4 (not a top 2) and after a rough start to the season he really calmed his game down and became a much better play.

Our prospect pool continues to look impressive, but I hope DT moves a couple of pieces for some immediate help. These kids need to start learning from proven NHLers.

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
That lineup is awful lol, but I see where they are coming from. I dream of:

Bergy/Boyes-Barkov-UFA (MATT MOULSON)
Hubby-Bjugstad-Pirri
Bergy/Boyes- Shore-Trocheck
Kopecky-Winchester-Hayes

Campbell-Kulikov (its put up or shut up time)
UFA Veteran- Ekblad
Guds-Olsen (I want to see this again)

^These D lines get shuffled around as Ekblad gets his feet under him or as Kulikov struggles

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
I must be mistaken, but the only change I saw the roster shown on CapGeek was adding Mike Rupp as an extra forward. They gotta be kidding if they think that's all we're doing.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
I must be mistaken, but the only change I saw the roster shown on CapGeek was adding Mike Rupp as an extra forward. They gotta be kidding if they think that's all we're doing.

Yeah no way that's all we do. I'd rather spend risky money on somebody like Vrbata or Hemsky than just sign a 4th liner. Nothing against Rupp, he'd actually be a good vet to have but we have too many bottom six forwards as is.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
With that roster, I think he wants us to get McDavid.

I'm curious to see what your capgeek armchair rosters look like? What players would you guys want us to go after (realistically), and who should we trade for who?
I personally would like us to tryhard for Niskanen, Moulson, Vrbata in the FA market.
Try to acquire another real sniper and a top 4 D via trade.
Draft Ekblad.
Buyout Jovo or let him be the 7th D and let him play max 20 games (with the last game being a retirement ceremony).

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
With that roster, I think he wants us to get McDavid.

I'm curious to see what your capgeek armchair rosters look like? What players would you guys want us to go after (realistically), and who should we trade for who?
I personally would like us to tryhard for Niskanen, Moulson, Vrbata in the FA market.
Try to acquire another real sniper and a top 4 D via trade.
Draft Ekblad.
Buyout Jovo or let him be the 7th D and let him play max 20 games (with the last game being a retirement ceremony).

greene and mezaros on d and i think moulson and callahan at forward are some moves i could see tallon making. if he makes no trades

moulson-barkov-boyes
hubby-jugs-callahan
bergy-trochek-pirri
upshall-shore-hayes/whinchester

campbell-mezaros
kulikov-gudbranson
greene-ekblad
olsen

lu
please no ellis

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Personally I want to see Tallon go after:
Moulson
Niskanen
Gaborik
Legwand
Mez

Moulson-Barkov-Gaborik
Hubey-Bjugs-Boyes
Bergy-Pirri-Upshall
Hayes-Legwand-Shore/Howden
Barch

Campbell-Niskanen
Kuli-Guds
Mez-Ekblad/ Petro
Scrubby McScrubberson

Lu
Lindback

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I think Cullen didn't want to make any trade and we have so many players that it limits his ability to make free agent splash.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sign Cammalleri OR Moulson on LW, both will probably want 4-5 year deals

Sign Vrbata to a 4yr deal or trade for a top 6 RW (Eberle/Simmonds would be ideal but doubtful)

Sign Greene AND Orpik on D to 2yr deals to be stopgap mentors to Gudbranson and possibly Ekblad.

Cammy/Moulson -- Barkov -- Vrbata/Boyes
Huberdeau -- Bjugstad -- Boyes/Vrbata
Bergy -- Trocheck -- Pirri
Hayes --Shore --Upshall

Winchester/Barch

Soupy ---- Greene/Orpik
Kulikov --- Orpik/Greene
Ekblad --- Gudbranson

Jovo (hopefully bought out/swap in Olsen)/Petrovic/Robak

Luongo
Reimer

Bought out/forcefully retire Jovo.......well just because and Kopecky (concussion concerns)
Traded Flash and Ellis to TOR for Reimer and 2015 2nd/3rd round pick

I don't feel this is a Cup contender by any means but I feel this roster competes for a wildcard spot and could grow together. Cammy/Moulson/Vrbata can all slide down the chart when better players are brought in when we're potentially cup ready. These 3 forwards can all provide offense espcially on the PP and we can outbid most of the teams after them.

Orpik and Greene can provide stability and leadership for the young defense core and take some pressure off Soupy. 2 year deals ideally but 3 for each at the max. Both players have a ring and still have some gas in the tank and may not fit into their current team's roster long term.

I don't feel Reimer is as bad as most say, he was left out to dry on most nights and his SV% is still decent. Could learn alot from Luongo and if he doesn't pan out in a year or two, he is simply not re-signed. I think Toronto would take a chance on Ellis since he's a hometown boy and would only play limited time while MacIntyre develops for the Marlies.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I don't think he watched many Panthers games this season (can't blame him), but that projected lineup looks like a last place team.

There will definitely be more free agent signings than that and there is no way Pirri will be buried on the 4th line at the start of the season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Oh, jeez. All of those lineups boil down to crap. You guys are just trying to convince yourselves that this UFA period holds quality when lot's of people agree it really doesn't. Insert Moulson and Barkov instantly a 70 point getter and Moulson will be a 30-goal scorer, right? Keep dreaming. Moulson isn't gonna change the team. Vrbata isn't gonna change the team. Heck, Vanek isn't gonna change the team. I'm not trying to be insulting, but just put down the x-box controller for a second and think. Are any of those guys gonna affect our structure? Nope. We've been leading the basement pack the past couple seasons and the problems don't just stem from the offense. It's all over the ice, the way the players approach the game, the actual game plan. We have no system, no structure, no plays. We need drastic changes. I'd start with bringing in a dynamic coach who can teach and a guy who has new ideas.

Last edited:

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Oh, jeez. All of those lineups boil down to crap. You guys are just trying to convince yourselves that this UFA period holds quality when lot's of people agree it really doesn't. Insert Moulson and Barkov instantly a 70 point getter and Moulson will be a 30-goal scorer, right? Keep dreaming. Moulson isn't gonna change the team. Vrbata isn't gonna change the team. Heck, Vanek isn't gonna change the team. I'm not trying to be insulting, but just put down the x-box controller for a second and think. Are any of those guys gonna affect our structure? Nope. We've been leading the basement pack the past couple seasons and the problems don't just stem from the offense. It's all over the ice, the way the players approach the game, the actual game plan. We have no system, no structure, no plays. We need drastic changes. I'd start with bringing in a dynamic coach who can teach and a guy who has new ideas.

You do realize that coach's systems and plays need also those goal scorers to finish the plays? We have guys like Barky and Bjugs who can perfectly make the plays but we dont have the guys to finish them + our D just sucks donky ass so we need better D who can play the way our coach wants and play it WELL.
You got a point though, but still a good coach needs good players.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Give credit, where credit is due. Tallon has assembled an excellent group of young prospects (especially if we draft Ekblad) on both offense and defense. The trick is now to develop them properly, which requires good coaching, patience and savvy trading to add needed leadership.

Given how thin the UFA class is, I believe that it is unrealistic to believe that we can solve our woes through free agency. The better opportunity appears to be the trade route, where there are a number of teams in cap hell and/or disarray, especially with the cap now projected to rise only to around $69 million. Since we have enormous cap space, we have the ability to acquire through trade a number of good (overpaid) players, who likely will be available from teams like the Nucks, Capitals, Hurricane, Flyers, etc. etc.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Give credit, where credit is due. Tallon has assembled an excellent group of young prospects (especially if we draft Ekblad) on both offense and defense. The trick is now to develop them properly, which requires good coaching, patience and savvy trading to add needed leadership.

Given how thin the UFA class is, I believe that it is unrealistic to believe that we can solve our woes through free agency. The better opportunity appears to be the trade route, where there are a number of teams in cap hell and/or disarray, especially with the cap now projected to rise only to around $69 million. Since we have enormous cap space, we have the ability to acquire through trade a number of good (overpaid) players, who likely will be available from teams like the Nucks, Capitals, Hurricane, Flyers, etc. etc.

I agree. Just look at the three main avenues for improving a team and what seems to be the consensus this year.

Draft = Weak
Free Agency = Weak
Trade = FLA has abundance of quality prospects. Cap space. Owner willing to spend.

I get attached to our players/prospects, but I see the writing on the wall. Trade is going to have the most impact on our team this offseason.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I agree. Just look at the three main avenues for improving a team and what seems to be the consensus this year.

Draft = Weak
Free Agency = Weak
Trade = FLA has abundance of quality prospects. Cap space. Owner willing to spend.

I get attached to our players/prospects, but I see the writing on the wall. Trade is going to have the most impact on our team this offseason.

I don't think CBJ are going to be a mainstay as far as being competitive for years to come but they have been able to turn some trash to treasure. They acquired a lot decent guys from NYR in the Nash deal and they acquired their number one goalie via trade. Dallas acquired Seguin through trade. I doubt Dale can pull off a nice trade this summer because his assets still haven't proven much at the NHL level except the fact that they can dress for games. We need a breakthrough year where our young guys are fighting for a playoff spot to allow their value to go up. Just can't be basement dwellers again. No one wants to give up NHL stars like Eberle for unproven assets who finish at the bottom in consecutive years. You're dreamin' if you think that's realistic. Also, I wouldn't base any future trades on the Luongo deal. Gilis made a bad decision. Relish it, because it doesn't happen often in this league. You might as well mark trades as "weak" too, unless Dale can pull off some miracle that grabs the attention of the league.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I don't think CBJ are going to be a mainstay as far as being competitive for years to come but they have been able to turn some trash to treasure. They acquired a lot decent guys from NYR in the Nash deal and they acquired their number one goalie via trade. Dallas acquired Seguin through trade. I doubt Dale can pull off a nice trade this summer because his assets still haven't proven much at the NHL level except the fact that they can dress for games. We need a breakthrough year where our young guys are fighting for a playoff spot to allow their value to go up. Just can't be basement dwellers again. No one wants to give up NHL stars like Eberle for unproven assets who finish at the bottom in consecutive years. You're dreamin' if you think that's realistic. Also, I wouldn't base any future trades on the Luongo deal. Gilis made a bad decision. Relish it, because it doesn't happen often in this league. You might as well mark trades as "weak" too, unless Dale can pull off some miracle that grabs the attention of the league.

Everything Is Terrible.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Personally I want to see Tallon go after:
Moulson
Niskanen
Gaborik
Legwand
Mez

Moulson-Barkov-Gaborik
Hubey-Bjugs-Boyes
Bergy-Pirri-Upshall
Hayes-Legwand-Shore/Howden
Barch

Campbell-Niskanen
Kuli-Guds
Mez-Ekblad/ Petro
Scrubby McScrubberson

Lu
Lindback

Lindback can bring in his ability to get swept in the playoffs. :naughty:

CoolburnIsGone

Out of curiosity, why dont you think the Blue Jackets are going to be a mainstay? As you pointed out, they have their number one goalie who's among the league's elite and is just 25 yrs old. They have their #1 C too in Johansen who's 21 yrs old and looks to only get better from here. They have a #1 D-man in the making too in former #2 overall pick Ryan Murray (and he's not being rushed either because they have Johnson in the interim handling a lot of mins). Thats not even mentioning youngsters like Jenner & Erixon (both NHL ready) and plenty of talent in their pipeline (Goloubef, Rechel, Bjorkstrand, Wennberg, Dano, Heatherington & Dansk).

Those 3 spots are basically what all good contenders need and if you dont have one of them, you're not going to be able to maintain at that level. We've been struggling to establish that #1 D-man and #1 Goalie for some time now and just last offseason finally found that #1 C. This season we traded for a #1 goalie but he's definitely not as young as the Jackets' starter. I totally see them as a consistent playoff contender...though maybe not a SC contender until some of their recently drafted youth starts making it to the NHL.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Out of curiosity, why dont you think the Blue Jackets are going to be a mainstay? As you pointed out, they have their number one goalie who's among the league's elite and is just 25 yrs old. They have their #1 C too in Johansen who's 21 yrs old and looks to only get better from here. They have a #1 D-man in the making too in former #2 overall pick Ryan Murray (and he's not being rushed either because they have Johnson in the interim handling a lot of mins). Thats not even mentioning youngsters like Jenner & Erixon (both NHL ready) and plenty of talent in their pipeline (Goloubef, Rechel, Bjorkstrand, Wennberg, Dano, Heatherington & Dansk).

Those 3 spots are basically what all good contenders need and if you dont have one of them, you're not going to be able to maintain at that level. We've been struggling to establish that #1 D-man and #1 Goalie for some time now and just last offseason finally found that #1 C. This season we traded for a #1 goalie but he's definitely not as young as the Jackets' starter. I totally see them as a consistent playoff contender...though maybe not a SC contender until some of their recently drafted youth starts making it to the NHL.

Yes, they have some pieces to the puzzle, but there's that thing consistency. We'll see if all the players you mentioned will bring it every year or this past year was simply a fluke. A few seasons ago, they thought Steve Mason was their number one and he stunk after their playoff berth, so they shipped him.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL

Columbus should be a model team for us. Most of the key players on that team are young guys who are only going to get better. We actually might have a better young core than them, especially if we add Ekblad to the mix. The difference is their vets >>> our vets. They also have their goalie of the present and the future in Bobrovsky. The key for us is to improve the role players around our young talent and find a young goalie to develop behind Luongo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad