Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 3.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Absolutely love this deal, I always thought the 2/10M prediction for Pearce was way low but looks like I was wrong. He'll be a valuable bat wherever he is used.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Pretty big deal. As much as people don't like hearing this, it might push Bruce talks now too.

The problem with Bruce is that I think acquiring him would be fine if they could give up nothing and only take on half his salary, but the Mets presumably think he has some positive value. If they do that deal, they're essentially eating ~$6 million for nothing, and I can't see them doing that.

I think they'll keep Bruce and trade Granderson, who could probably bring something back.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
This almost certainly means no Edwin. Pearce is versatile, but I don't think you sign him to force him into the outfield all the time, while Edwin plays 1st and Morales DH's.

But I'm fine with that. Pearce was literally my secondary option, and now we can spend moeny to improve the outfield. Hopefully Fowler.

Fowler, Pearce, Morales, some pen help and maybe another outfielder would be a great offseason IMO

At the price, which is tremendous, I don't think it hinders you at all. Nor is he tied to any particular position. Dude played a little 2B last year :laugh:.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
another good part of this is Tellez is completely unblocked now. Assuming Pearce is mostly gonna play 1B then whenever Tellez is ready he can come up get some time at 1B while Pearce moves around a bit.

1. Pearce is really ****ing good

2. Pearce is really ****ing cheap

3. Pearce + Fowler >> EE + dirt cheap OF

4. Less Smoak

5. Hopefully no Moreland

6. Unblocked Tellez

Someone look for a downside, I can't find one

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The problem with Bruce is that I think acquiring him would be fine if they could give up nothing and only take on half his salary, but the Mets presumably think he has some positive value. If they do that deal, they're essentially eating ~$6 million for nothing, and I can't see them doing that.

I think they'll keep Bruce and trade Granderson, who could probably bring something back.

I would take Granderson or Bruce as long as the Mets eat some of the contract alla Upton deal. Then I would sign EE and Navarro.

Would rather that then Fowler.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Still think Edwin is coming back seeing as his options are rapidly eliminating themselves.

If he goes to Toronto looking for the original 4x20, what does Toronto management say?

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
another good part of this is Tellez is completely unblocked now. Assuming Pearce is mostly gonna play 1B then whenever Tellez is ready he can come up get some time at 1B while Pearce moves around a bit.

4. Less Smoak

5. Hopefully no Moreland

6. Unblocked Tellez

Still would take EE and Granderson or Bruce in trade over Fowler.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Much prefer Granderson.

Exactly why I think Bruce will be the one moved. Granderson likely costs a fairly legitimate prospect (Urena/SRF).

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Apologies fellas I'm a new BJ fan as of last year. Why is Pearce's price tag relatively low if he's a very valuable piece?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

4. Less Smoak

5. Hopefully no Moreland

6. Unblocked Tellez

Bad elbow plagued him last year, and coming off surgery. Very much so a part time player, for several reasons, who's never had more than 400 PA. These are just slight risks, I love the deal. When he's used properly, he's tremendous.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Still think Edwin is coming back seeing as his options are rapidly eliminating themselves.

If he goes to Toronto looking for the original 4x20, what does Toronto management say?

Give it to him. And go out and acquire one of the OF from Mets.

Gives you balanced lineup. We don't need Fowler who will not live up to contract he wants. More chance of EE keeping it up into his 40's as a 1b/DH like Ortiz did. Then Fowler doing anything. That's my take.

Put Travis in the leadoff spot.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I think Pearce is the platoon guy for LF with Upton and super utility guy for the team. Something tells me that we get Fowler, and EE comes full circle to come back home.

EE's possible destinations have gone away. Houston and NYY have their DH's. Only Boston and Texas remain. Boston has already stated they are not going the EE route. And personally I cant see him going to Texas.

How about this for a lineup

Fowler - RF
Travis - 2B
Donaldson - 3B
EE - 1B
Morales - DH
Tulo - SS
Pearce - LF
Martin - C
Pillar - CF

Bench - Upton, Smoak, Barney, Navarro (Carerra in minors as depth)
Exactly what I am thinking about and hoping for. With our starting rotation, this is a scary scary team

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
At the price, which is tremendous, I don't think it hinders you at all. Nor is he tied to any particular position. Dude played a little 2B last year :laugh:.

Yeah it's still possible that EE could come back. I just don't think you would go with Morales and EE essentially locking Pearce out of 1st. I mean he's versatile and would still find plenty of time, mostly in the OF. This combined with Morales seems like they've almost certainly moved on from EE and it would take a steal of a deal for him to come back.

You're almost undoing his starting versality by basically locking him into the OF pre injuries, but yeah I suppose you could dump Smoak and run EE 1B, Morales DH, Pearce LF, then Pearce is your backup 1B and backup 2B, which leaves you more room to carry Zeke and Pompey on the bench maybe.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Exactly what I am thinking about and hoping for. With our starting rotation, this is a scary scary team

But I wouldn't be upset with:

Travis - 2B
Donaldson - 3B
Morales - DH
EE - 1B
Bruce - LF
Tulo - SS
Pearce - RF
Martin - C
Pillar - CF

Bench: Upton, Smoak, Navarro and Barney

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Exactly why I think Bruce will be the one moved. Granderson likely costs a fairly legitimate prospect (Urena/SRF).

Coming off a down year (public perception-wise) where he got off to a very slow start, and then raged back to get to 30 home runs. Frustrated a lot of Met fans through July. Will also be 36 at the start of the season. Whereas Bruce is 29, coming off 33 home runs, his best on-base percentage in three years (lol, btw). Will also cost less in salary in '17 I believe.

I actually think Bruce would cost more in assets, while not being as good a player. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad