Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 3.0 - Steve Pearce signs for 2/$12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I know I said i give up, but I simply asked when enough was enough and why they deserve more. Seems everyone wants me to read their posts, but fail to fully read what I said.

It seems like people have read what you said and responded to it; you just don't agree with the answers.

But the short answer as to why they deserve more: the sport itself (not the league or the individual teams, but the sport of baseball) literally only exists because of the athletes. They're the ones who drive nearly every penny of revenue, and they're the one irreplaceable asset the sport has.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
It seems like people have read what you said and responded to it; you just don't agree with the answers.

But the short answer as to why they deserve more: the sport itself (not the league or the individual teams, but the sport of baseball) literally only exists because of the athletes. They're the ones who drive nearly every penny of revenue, and they're the one irreplaceable asset the sport has.

I guess we view the answers differently, fair enough. And your answer as to why they deserve more is at least an opinion/reasoning I can respect. While I agree they're the ones people go to see and do the entertaining, they need they owners as much or more, IMO. I think people just love to hate them, which they're entitled to.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
While I agree they're the ones people go to see and do the entertaining, they need they owners as much or more, IMO.

They need the owners to put the structure of the league together to allow them to make millions of dollars, sure.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I guess we view the answers differently, fair enough. And your answer as to why they deserve more is at least an opinion/reasoning I can respect. While I agree they're the ones people go to see and do the entertaining, they need they owners as much or more, IMO. I think people just love to hate them, which they're entitled to.

Another thing is supply and demand. These are literally the greatest baseball players on the planet...the best of the best. There's only one Trout, Donaldson, Machado, Bryant, etc. Whereas with owners there's always a rich billionaire willing to own a team and fans of that team wouldn't really care about the change in ownership unless that new owner was notoriously cheap.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Another thing is supply and demand. These are literally the greatest baseball players on the planet...the best of the best. There's only one Trout, Donaldson, Machado, Bryant, etc. Whereas with owners there's always a rich billionaire willing to own a team and fans of that team wouldn't really care about the change in ownership unless that new owner was notoriously cheap.

I think you could add meddles in team affairs because they think they know the sport, too. The Redskins are a perfect example of this, and Jones nearly ruined the Cowboys.

looking at options I wonder if a risk reward player like Gomez is an option? Horrible in Houston, finished nicely in Texas. He is still a solid fielder and can steal bases, might be a good addition even if he is a right handed bat.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Only way I look at Gomez is if the Jays re-sign EE.

I don't want them gambling on that type of player to make a huge impact on the team...would prefer someone more consistent.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
how do you quote from locked threads?

Anyway @ Doorman I wasn't saying you don't work hard or haven't earned where you are just that there would be a very real possibility that at some point you would be running the company which if you are ambitious is a great thing to hang around for, not that it would be handed to you. there is also family pride in the company you're family built that isn't something you leave for an extra $10k per yr. I'm sorry you thought I suggested you were handed everything, really not my intention

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
how do you quote from locked threads?

Anyway @ Doorman I wasn't saying you don't work hard or haven't earned where you are just that there would be a very real possibility that at some point you would be running the company which if you are ambitious is a great thing to hang around for, not that it would be handed to you. there is also family pride in the company you're family built that isn't something you leave for an extra $10k per yr. I'm sorry you thought I suggested you were handed everything, really not my intention

Thanks, I suppose that's part of the problem, with this type of communication things get lost in translation, easy to misread what is being said, in turn I should say sorry for taking it thew wrong way.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
When is the EE thing likely to be wrapped up ? When would be the latest ?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I still think his distance to the majors will keep him from being picked.

He's the guy I am most concerned about losing in terms of likelihood. I think he could potentially be a regular reliever by next year (I mean season after next. 2018), so if a team wants to eat a roster spot now for the promise of being able to do something with him in the near future, I could see it as a gamble deemed to be worth taking.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah he seems like an ideal quick-promotion LH RP candidate.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the yankees are targeting star free agent closer aroldis chapman, but they’ve checked in on several relievers, the top free-agent starters and a whole host of hitters as they try to improve on their rare off year of 2016.

In addition to the previously mentioned chapman and kenley jansen as yankees targets, plus hitting stars carlos beltran, edwin encarnacion, yoenis cespedes and jose bautista, the yankees have called upon several more top free-agent hitters, including dexter fowler, matt holliday, mike napoli and brandon moss, and are believed to have checked in with the better starting pitchers on the market, including rich hill and jason hammel.
the yankees’ interest runs all over the board, though chapman appears to be at the top of their list, with him getting the edge over another top free-agent closer, kenley jansen, at least for the yankees, because they had chapman last year and especially because their trade of chapman means he wouldn’t cost the signing team a draft choice. Chapman expressed interest in a return in an interview with new sportsday that was done by ray negron, who also happens to be a longtime yankees employee. Cashman said he read the piece but assumes most free-agent deals come down to the contract anyway, which seems to be a pretty fair assumption. Jansen also remains of interest to them, too, though.
napoli, who has actually hit better in his career at yankee stadium than he has at fenway, progressive field or the ballpark at arlington, is an interesting new entry who is believed to have interest from the indians, mariners, jays, orioles and others.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if it was Haniger being discussed in the last thread but he just got dealt to the Mariners in a pretty big deal. Taijuan Walker + Ketel Marte coming from the Ms and Segura headlines the DBacks pieces (with Zac Curtis also going the other way).

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Not sure if it was Haniger being discussed in the last thread but he just got dealt to the Mariners in a pretty big deal. Taijuan Walker + Ketel Marte coming from the Ms and Segura headlines the DBacks pieces (with Zac Curtis also going the other way).

He was briefly by myself and another poster. I like the deal for Dipoto and the Mariners. I have never been very high on Walker.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He was briefly by myself and another poster. I like the deal for Dipoto and the Mariners. I have never been very high on Walker.

Neither have I, but I'm not high on Segura keeping up his 2016 improvements either. Bit of a tough one to analyze.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Walker definitely has some issues but this was a pretty good time to sell on Segura and buy low on a pretty solid starting pitcher (3.89 SIERA) with still a good amount of untapped potential. Segura also has two rich years left (projected to earn 7.2m this year) while Walker is just now entering arbitration year 1 of 4.

Not sure what Segura fixed mechanically with his swing but I think it's safe to expect a fairly noticeable drop in his offensive production.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I would just like to throw it out there that I think Haniger will end up being the centerpiece of this deal. I have never been a huge fan of Segura, and do not expect his 2016 success to continue. However, I do believe that Haniger can and will become a legit middle of the order bat, even in Safeco. Whereas with Walker, I see a talented, young starter who I am not sure will ever reach his full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad