HF Habs: Off-Season Discussion (Part Duh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Johnson, kucherov, Drouin, Brown, Morrow, Stralman, and Callahan are all under 6'

Drouin didn't play.

Johnson is small but far from plays small.

None of the other are particularly small, nor play small.

Morrow small, really? About as small as PK Subban.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Drouin didn't play.

Johnson is small but far from plays small.

None of the other are particularly small, nor play small.

Morrow small, really? About as small as PK Subban.

Johnson scores goals, but that doesn't mean he doesn't play small. He went down with every bit of contact, a lot of the times were dives. That's pretty small and soft to me. You can play soft, and small and still deliver offensively.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Please don't trade Eller.

Glad we're on top of Petry's list. He's the #3 (hell, #2 at this point) that we've needed since Hamrlik. Beaulieu looks poised to be our #3 very, very soon.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Glad we're on top of Petry's list. He's the #3 (hell, #2 at this point) that we've needed since Hamrlik. Beaulieu looks poised to be our #3 very, very soon.

For me it's becoming quite clear. Galchenyuk and Pleks should handle the top 6 duties leaving Eller and DD for the 3rd line C spot. The question becomes who offers more and can provide more. Eller can play a strong 2 way game and can handle shutdown roles, DD can not. Hence DD should be the odd man out.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
1. Put Desharnais on the next boat to Africa
2. Change the locks when Therrien is out behind the dumpster smoking a cig
3. Buy Plekanec a heart from the Wizard of Oz
4. Profit

1) When african people will see him for the first time they will said that
they never see a white pygmy
2) He would be glad because he will stay longer in his dumpster garbage
natural environment
3) I see Plekanec next career dressing all in white with a acoustic guitar playing
boring slow cheesy romantic music with his wife singer

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Actually there is no way to prove whether run and gun hockey would have been better or worse than the style the Canadiens played last year. It's still a style I can't quite figure out.

Was the improvement in the team due to the system or was it because Price improved? Again, there is no way of telling. Budaj doesn't belong in this argument. In one year he only played 13 games. Hard to make any judgments on that sample size.

I do know that when the Habs skated hard and used an aggressive forecheck, they gave Tampa all they could handle and then some. When they fell back into their defensive shell reverted to the chip and chase in game 6, Tampa completely dominated.

If nothing else, the team needs to develop some kind of a breakout strategy. PK Subban's high flips and Markov's stretch passes are good to throw into the mix once in a while but using them all the time is a desperation tactic.

The system we saw against Ottawa and Tampa worked really well. Habs were outshooting and out-chancing both teams in almost every game. Repeat: Montreal was a shot-metric beast in both series. Let's give credit where it's due. The coaching and game strategy was very effective overall. Yeah, it unraveled in game-six, but I won't characterize the team by that awful game.

What killed us wasn't game-six, it was the chronic inability to finish throughout the entire series. All those great setups ruined by missed shots, all those pucks left on the goal-line, all those ******* goal-posts. This wasn't a coaching or system problem, this was a lack of shooting finesse... along with plain old bad luck. Even the PP -- terrible as it was -- had great moments that shoulda/coulda/woulda scored... but missed. This lack of scoring talent is the one issue separating this team from a SCF appearance. If you're expecting Bergevin to acquire a top-six UFA forward, don't hold your breath. Not enough out there to make it worth the huge investment. Better to invest in Petry. If we could land him, and add Pateryn and Beaulieu full-time, Habs would have a top-five core of D.

So the solution to our scoring issue? Start by playing with the pieces you have. Give Andrighetto and Hudon serious looks. Give Galchenyuk the centre job. Then see if forward-rich Edmonton needs some dmen and package some combo of Gilbert, Emelin, or Pateryn along with a 3rd-line forward, for one of their young top-six forwards.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Did Petry really say Montreal was top of his list? Didn't hear that, probably because I've been meditating on a mountaintop the last day and a half.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Gaston Therrien has DD and Parenteau on the 2nd line next year. Awesome. We're picking Matthews. Nah...we still have Price...damn you Carey....

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Johnson scores goals, but that doesn't mean he doesn't play small. He went down with every bit of contact, a lot of the times were dives. That's pretty small and soft to me. You can play soft, and small and still deliver offensively.

Johnson doesn't play small at all. He drives the net constantly, doesn't shy away from dirty areas, and is involved in the play in all three zones.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Gaston Therrien has DD and Parenteau on the 2nd line next year. Awesome. We're picking Matthews. Nah...we still have Price...damn you Carey....

It's up to Bergevin to do everything in his power to stop that from happening. If he even gives Therrien the chance to have those 2 on our 2nd line, that's on him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If DD is starting as the 2nd line center next year, there will be some big uproar in the media. It just can't happen, not another year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If DD is starting as the 2nd line center next year, there will be some big uproar in the media. It just can't happen, not another year.

Gaston Therrien is part of the media. I really don't know if anyone would even mention it. On the anglo side, maybe. Certainly not from RDS or any Quebecor related media.

Last edited:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Gaston is DD's #2 fan, 2nd only to the other Therrien, I'm kinda surprised he didn't project DD-PAP on the first line (and Eller traded for a 6th) next year to be honest.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY

There'd be an uproar because he's not being used as #1.

Fortunately for the media, he'll be back with Patches opening day to "get us to the playoffs" and then his job is done and he can't be blamed for anything and Eller and Galchenyuk will need to "get us through the playoffs" cause that's their job!!!!

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Gaston is DD's #2 fan, 2nd only to the other Therrien, I'm kinda surprised he didn't project DD-PAP on the first line (and Eller traded for a 6th) next year to be honest.

But-but-but-but-but-but-but DD was never our #1!!! He was always #2 behind Pleks!! Look at ES time!!! LOOK AT ES TIME HE WAS OUR #2!!!!! :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gaston Therrien is part of the media. I really don't know if anyone will even mention it. In the anglo side, maybe. Certainly not from RDS or any Quebecor related media.

Ya there's always going to be some clowns out there, but I don't think most are going to support this. They'll likely say ''on l'aime ben le ptit David, yé bon, mais y faut qq qui peut marker plus''..Some crap like that.
On the english side, Tony will be losing his mind.

Maybe in the first games it would pass, but all in all, if DD is still on our top 6 next year, eventually it will turn on them.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
G:
#31 Price
#35 Tokarski

D:
x - 76 Subban
28 Beaulieu - 26 Petry
74 Emelin - 77 Gilbert
64 Pateryn

x-Markov will need to go. Save $5.7 mil. Gonchar, Weaver walk

F:
67 Pacioretty - 94 Galchenyuk - 11 Gallagher
x - 14 Plekanec - x
25 DLR - 81 Eller - 21 DSP
8 Prust - 17 Mitchell - 22 Weise
32 Flynn

x-Parenteau, Desharnais, Malhotra, Thomas, all walk or traded.

FA:
Drew Stafford RW
Michael Frolik RW
Andrej Sekera D

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Slepyshev from the Oilers might be a good option. He's gonna turn 22, is a big winger too, and has more goals than assists; but he's playing in the KHL as the Oilers don't have a roster spot for him with all their 1st overall picks.

Sekac's last season in the KHL : 28 points in 47 games
Slepyshev's last season in the KHL : 25 points in 58 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad