2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do tell.

Good size, late birthday, good numbers, right-shot, natural center. I'm not deep-diving tape any of these guys so what's the deal on the hate?

There seems to be a divide on him in the scouting reports.

Pronman- "Hage has the potential to break open a game, but I do find his game to be inconsistent and too perimeter at times. He projects as a middle-six wing with a chance to be more."

Wheeler- "Hage is a natural center who has it all. He’s got pro size and skating, he’s got dual-threat skill as a shooter and passer, he’s naturally talented as a handler, he can create for himself or elevate a line, he plays hard, he stays on pucks, he battles, and he reads the game at an advanced level with an intelligent, studious approach to the way he maneuvers around the ice."

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
What do you know about defenseman Stian Solberg? The Hockey News thinks he'll be a late 1st round pick after his performance at the Worlds. I know he's 18, plays a physical game, but that's about it.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
What do you know about defenseman Stian Solberg? The Hockey News thinks he'll be a late 1st round pick after his perfomance at the Worlds. I know he's 18, plays a physical game, but that's about it.
He’s thought of pretty highly by the few people that have actually scouted him, his WC play has definitely opened my eyes to him. Just a lot more questions about him than the typical 1st rounder. Decision making is inconsistent, but he demonstrates high level reads in the Ozone while being a strong skater and good physicality.

I could see him developing into a solid #3 LHD quite easily and he is well rounded enough to be options on either special teams. Don’t have enough viewings to be confident on that though.

Reactions: Webster

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Celebrini, Silayev, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Parekh, Buium, Catton, Yakemchuk, Helenius, Iginla, Eisermann, Dickinson = 13 players.

We are guaranteed to have one of those guys available. I’d prefer we take one of them instead of a guy like Hage, MBN, Sennecke etc. We need to go BPA. If it’s tied, go with a RHS.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Celebrini, Silayev, Demidov, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Parekh, Buium, Catton, Yakemchuk, Helenius, Iginla, Eisermann, Dickinson = 13 players.

We are guaranteed to have one of those guys available. I’d prefer we take one of them instead of a guy like Hage, MBN, Sennecke etc. We need to go BPA. If it’s tied, go with a RHS.
They might be.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
They might be.
No doubt. As fans, we tend to prefer the big names. If we go off the board, it will be less exciting. Plus this is a forum for mostly uninformed speculation, is it not?

Ain't Happening
Celebrini, Silayev, Levshunov, Demidov, Buium

Highly Doubtful
Lindstrom, Dickinson, Parekh

Take Them If They Drop
Catton, Eiserman

Realistic Targets
Helenius, Iginla (^) , Yakemchuk

Scouts Must Like Them
Sennecke (^), MBN, Hage

Balls of Steel
Connelly

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No doubt. As fans, we tend to prefer the big names. If we go off the board, it will be less exciting. Plus this is a forum for mostly uninformed speculation, is it not?

Ain't Happening
Celebrini, Silayev, Levshunov, Demidov, Buium

Highly Doubtful
Lindstrom, Dickinson, Parekh

Take Them If They Drop
Catton, Eiserman

Realistic Targets
Helenius, Iginla (^) , Yakemchuk

Scouts Must Like Them
Sennecke (^), MBN, Hage

Balls of Steel
Connelly
Mostly agree, but I think Yakemchuk, Helenius and Iginla will be valued more highly than Eiserman. Sennecke and MBN, possibly, too.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Bet we get one of the following:

Realistic Targets
Helenius , Yakemchuk, Eiserman

Scouts Must Like Them
Sennecke, MBN, Hage

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Remember, Brackett and Co. had Ohgren ranked 10th in 2022, and he wasn't anywhere on our radars even at #19.

Yeah, I have questions about who was actually included on that list. Did they start with guys like Cooley, Wright and Nemec, or did they skip a few who had no earthly shot at dropping to 19?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see why they would do that.

I don't know if they would, but if they had Ohgren 10th overall, and Yurov above him still, that means they would have only drafted 8 players who ended up going between picks 1 and 18 before the two they took.

Some pretty decent names on that list, even now a couple years later. Just can't help but wonder who they didn't have in their top 10.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I don't know if they would, but if they had Ohgren 10th overall, and Yurov above him still, that means they would have only drafted 8 players who ended up going between picks 1 and 18 before the two they took.

Some pretty decent names on that list, even now a couple years later. Just can't help but wonder who they didn't have in their top 10.

Maybe the size mandate was already in effect, taking Savoie/Nazar off the board. I had Yurov at 7, didn't love any D after the top-2, so I don't think its a stretch to put Ohgren at 10 if the consensus was he was the best of the Djurgarden trio, though I thought he was the worst and had him around 20.

This ranking of Ohgren is why it would not shock me if MBN is inside our top-10, very similar traits.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Right, but that's just the point. Teams do not have consensus boards. They're all going to have players in spots that seem odd to all of us. Philly very well might have Chernyshov as BPA when they pick right in front of us.

I'm expecting probably 2 "odd" selections before we pick.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Right, but that's just the point. Teams do not have consensus boards. They're all going to have players in spots that seem odd to all of us. Philly very well might have Chernyshov as BPA when they pick right in front of us.

I'm expecting probably 2 "odd" selections before we pick.
No I get that, I'm actually curious who specifically they didn't have

Maybe the size mandate was already in effect, taking Savoie/Nazar off the board. I had Yurov at 7, didn't love any D after the top-2, so I don't think its a stretch to put Ohgren at 10 if the consensus was he was the best of the Djurgarden trio, though I thought he was the worst and had him around 20.

This ranking of Ohgren is why it would not shock me if MBN is inside our top-10, very similar traits.
This is what first came to my mind too, but those would be the only two small ones (besides Cooley)

Wabit

May 23, 2016

They could have had d-men lower on their list just due to their recent drafting (6 total in the previous 2 drafts) and just acquiring Faber in trade.

Reactions: AKL

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I seem to remember him high on one poster's list @Circulartheory
Not saying this to disagree with you, just to give credit where it's due. It was a good call.
::naughty: I had him #14.

I basically averaged out 9 rankings (some weighted more than others) and Ohgren was ranked #18. so he was definitely on the radar there (Button had him #19 and Mckenzie had him #21). I bumped him up only by 4 spots bc he's the type of players NHL teams loved (or at very least, the Wild love) - an all-round package, skill and size, safe, consistent, with playing experience against older players, whether be pros or college. Don't overthink it. I love my Brodin/JEE/Boldy/Tuch/Ohgren/Yurov picks, hell Mikko Koivu was my favorite player when I first became a fan :)

Which is also why I'm down on this year - not alot of those guys around at #13. Maybe Brandsegg-Nygård fits the bill and he is definitely growing onto to me but I liked Ohgren more at #14 than I like MBN at #13. Similar players without the scoring touch.

I really want Silyaev and Buium but they'll be gone. Jiricek should the poster-child for someone I would be screaming over but despite the tools and pro experience, he's doesn't fit the "safe and consistent" bill.

This time I'm going to average out 13 rankings with a bit off different weightings and a bit more awareness of position (harder to find top-six centermen later so you have to get them early, also skilled right-handed dmen). Also a bit more awareness on size - used to think 6'0" was a decent size but I think now, at best, its lukewarm.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
::naughty: I had him #14.

I basically averaged out 9 rankings (some weighted more than others) and Ohgren was ranked #18. so he was definitely on the radar there (Button had him #19 and Mckenzie had him #21). I bumped him up only by 4 spots bc he's the type of players NHL teams loved (or at very least, the Wild love) - an all-round package, skill and size, safe, consistent, with playing experience against older players, whether be pros or college. Don't overthink it. I love my Brodin/JEE/Boldy/Tuch/Ohgren/Yurov picks, hell Mikko Koivu was my favorite player when I first became a fan :)

Which is also why I'm down on this year - not alot of those guys around at #13. Maybe Brandsegg-Nygård fits the bill and he is definitely growing onto to me but I liked Ohgren more at #14 than I like MBN at #13. Similar players without the scoring touch.

I really want Silyaev and Buium but they'll be gone. Jiricek should the poster-child for someone I would be screaming over but despite the tools and pro experience, he's doesn't fit the "safe and consistent" bill.

This time I'm going to average out 13 rankings with a bit off different weightings and a bit more awareness of position (harder to find top-six centermen later so you have to get them early, also skilled right-handed dmen). Also a bit more awareness on size - used to think 6'0" was a decent size but I think now, at best, its lukewarm.
My only issue with Brandsegg-Nygard is his skating. He takes a couple steps to get going, and his agility when he needs to change direction in a hurry is extremely lacking from what I've seen. Straight line speed, once he's already moving, is fine. I love the rest of his game, too - it's just an honest, straightforward game, he plays hard in all three zones, moves the puck around without fanfare, and has a blistering shot. If he can work on his edges and acceleration he's going to be very good. His ability to keep things both simple and effective at the same time will play well in the NHL.

I like this draft, actually. There really aren't any safe players, but I think multiple players available at 13 will have some seriously intriguing skills to go along with their flaws. It's going to make some of them miss completely, but the ones that hit might be REALLY good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad