Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think the Avs are done with free agency. It sounds easy, but burying Guenin/Redmond both in the AHL for Holden to be the #7 D isn't all that easy. We already have 6 defensemen in San Antonio who need playing time, we can't just send down our crap and handcuff the development of Bigras/Siemens/Geertsen.

As for Kruger, I'd love to have him on the Avs, but I don't see it happening. Chicago simply wouldn't trade him within the division, and we are not going to sign him to an offer sheet. Just not realistic, and it's unfortunate as he would be a great addition to our 3rd line.

While you may be right, I really hope that they are not done.

As far as burying players in the AHL, it does sound easy and actually it is easy. They did it with Hunwick the first year they took over and he was only brought up to play in 1 game. If the Avs really want to make the playoffs, they are going to have to address certain areas of their lineup. As far as NOT sending down your 'crap' I disagree. That's one of the reason to have an AHL farm team. If they decide to bury Guenin for his last year AND walk away from Mat Clark's arbitration, does it really make a difference? Is Mat Clark going to play in the NHL anytime soon? I highly doubt it. If anything, Bigras+Siemens+Geertsen would benefit from playing with a better player (Guenin) than a middle of the road prospect like Clark.

Since they've already mentioned it, they seem set on putting Soderberg at center between Lando and Mack. To me that really opens up that 3rd line center spot and I'm not fully confident in having Malkin in that spot. I would prefer Malkin centering the 4th line and having a 3rd line that can put up the odd goal here and there.

Let's not forget, the innability of our 3rd and 4th lines to score at least a few goals here and there really didn't help us in our late drive to make the playoffs. You don't need them to carry the load but you need some frikkin' production from them.

I think Grigorenko will end up on the wing on Duchene's line (could end up a really good fit, he's similar to Fleischmann in terms of skill-set) and that leaves you with Tanguay-Malkin-Comeau.

So for me, I would certainly address the 3C slot that would push Malkin down to the 4th line. Whether that's looking into acquiring a versatile guy like Lars Eller who can at worst be a solid #3C or/and slide into the top-6 or a guy like Brandon Sutter, who is on his last year of his deal on a cap-strapped team, I think it would really look into it. The Pens still have a bunch of players to sign with little room to do it - a trade that gives them a) cap relief and b) a few warm bodies to fill out their lineup could be of interest to them. (Malkin+Redmond for B. Sutter is something I'd probably entertain - and then Pittsburgh would have BOTH Malkins!!!! :laugh:)

If they can add Ehrhoff or Oduya on a 1 year deal, they should do it for sure. When you start taking injuries in consideration, having that kind of depth would be fantastic. While it's nice to hope that Zadorov is ready to step into a top-4 role, that's probably stretching it a bit. He might be able to do that by the middle of the season or at the end of the season but he's still very young so it's still very much uncertain.

Avs will run with 8-D to start the season like usual.

Beauch-EJ
Zads-Barrie
Holden-Stuart
Guenin-Redmond

It's unfortunate, but I highly doubt Roy buries either Guenin or Redmond this year, he'll probably just keep them in reserves for when Holden struggles or an injury occurs. He might even call-up Bigras or Siemens to play before either of them if he isn't confident in them.

But *fingers crossed* they'll both be gone by 2016-17.

I believe Guenin and Cliche will be AHLers to start the season. It's time to do what's necessary to improve the club, no more of these inconsistent reclamation projects. They are fine for depth and injury fill-ins but if we want to make the playoffs, sacrifices will need to be made. I'd also like to point out that if Zadorov was further along then we probably would be fine with heading into next season with that D but if he struggles, then we are probably looking at Holden, Guenin or Redmond in the top 4.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think Holden is movable, perhaps for a forward with 1 year left on a higher salary. It could make sense for both teams and it would open up a spot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's okay Radz, you go win another KHL scoring title this season and we'll bring you across the ocean next summer.

Patrick doesn't just teach these kids to be a better team, but to be better men. After Matty's Russo-phobic comments this summer Patrick is going to force him to address his bigotry when we win a cup and Matty is helped to the Conn Smythe by Grigorenko and Rads. :sarcasm:

Pagnotta sucks. But CSKA has said themselves they are trying to sign him. But I'm 99% sure he'll play here.

Yep, Grigs has also said that his sole focus is the NHL right now and that it's great to get interest from a team like CZKA, but that's not for him at this time. I do think he'll go back to russia if he flops here, but Roy will give him every chance not to flop here first.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Elliott or even better, Guenin/Redmond would be ideal for Chicago as they need to fill some defense depth with cheapish players

I'd definitely at least kick the tires on a Kruger trade from that angle with Avs adding of course. I'd add Holden to the list, but I think he is above the $$ Hawks would want.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makes me kind of sad to see that...I wish that he would get re-signed with us :(

(I know it won't happen though)

He's still a second or third tier option for most teams. He'll probably have to wait until teams see what happens with Oduya, Ehrhoff, and Franson.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think Holden is movable, perhaps for a forward with 1 year left on a higher salary. It could make sense for both teams and it would open up a spot.

As much as Holden probably won't improve enough to be worth holding on to. (Hah!) Unless the Avs have a UFA or trade target lined up, he is the best option to hold on to. (hah hah!)

Holden is basically the insurance policy for Zadarov and the rookies....what, just what if none of them are really ready? Holden can at least eat minutes without breaking the young talent and he DOES still have some upside and I kinda want to see what he can do in camp after a summer, hopefully, of working on his game.

Holden/Stuart also is probably the best option for the 3rd pair if they run with the top 4 pairing that is expected, as Guenin/Stuart terrifies me and I am not 100% convinced any of the rookies are ready to jump in yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Gonna be swimming across that ocean!

I heard he's been doing laps around a local swimming pool in Russia ever since Patrick Roy came on board in Denver. By July 2016 I really believe he will be ready to tackle the North Atlantic Ocean.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Holden is also the only one of the crap dmen who's a passable third pairing guy other than Stuart. Getting rid of Guenin's contract would be great, but Holden's not a bad guy to have around at his price. Sure you can scavenge the bargain bin every year for guys who are as good and as cheap, but that means constant turnover. With all of the kids coming through it'll be nice to have some stability with an adequate old #6 (Stuart and in year 3, Beauch) and an adequate #7 who can step in reliable and be a good sport about eating nachos (Holden).

I'd dump Redmond or Guenin, and would like to see Stuart's finally year dumped on someone if we need to create cap space for Rads; but Holden's cheap and competent enough to stick around until our prospects have pushed him out of even the #7 dman job.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Holden is also the only one of the crap dmen who's a passable third pairing guy other than Stuart. Getting rid of Guenin's contract would be great, but Holden's not a bad guy to have around at his price. Sure you can scavenge the bargain bin every year for guys who are as good and as cheap, but that means constant turnover. With all of the kids coming through it'll be nice to have some stability with an adequate old #6 (Stuart and in year 3, Beauch) and an adequate #7 who can step in reliable and be a good sport about eating nachos (Holden).

I'd dump Redmond or Guenin, and would like to see Stuart's finally year dumped on someone if we need to create cap space for Rads; but Holden's cheap and competent enough to stick around until our prospects have pushed him out of even the #7 dman job.

But Holden has term. And a cap that makes a difference. No one would want Guenin. Redmond is good IMO but 1 year at 750k is no point for us to move. It's the term we need to shed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Holden's 1.6 isn't going to be the difference, and if it is, he's tradeable at that price so we can get back under the cap by the season's start. Dumping Iggy or even Stuart because of the third years on their contracts, I can get, but Holden doesn't win us enough room to really matter.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If we are really looking at our cap situation in 2016. How much can we likely afford to give Rads? Tanguay out, Rads in?

Gotta think he'll want at least $6M/yr. How high that number goes probably depends on how much term he gets and if there's a lot of interest in him.

I could see them using Tanguay's money towards Radulov. But Tanguay had a really good season and even managed to stay healthy. Another season like that and he may want to stick around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we are really looking at our cap situation in 2016. How much can we likely afford to give Rads? Tanguay out, Rads in?

Too early to tell. It depends on EJ, MacK, and Barrie contracts. If they all come in semi-reasonable and there is 3-4% cap growth, there will be room for Rads to get ~6m. It will be tight though. If that doesn't happen, the Avs will probably have to send somebody packing to get space for Rads.

Hopefully we see a Stuart buyout too. But we wont :cry:

Wouldn't help. The 3.6m is there as long as he isn't traded.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If the Avs can dump Holden without salary coming back (highly unlikely), they absolutely should.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Radulov! It's gonna happen.

Do they get NHL Center Ice in Russia? He's gotta watch his future teammates closely.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Holden's 1.6 isn't going to be the difference, and if it is, he's tradeable at that price so we can get back under the cap by the season's start. Dumping Iggy or even Stuart because of the third years on their contracts, I can get, but Holden doesn't win us enough room to really matter.

No, but his term is another contract spot. We'll lose Guenin, Redmond, etc after this season. Holden being moved needs to happen by the start of next season. By then guys like Siemens and Bigras should be ready to contribute enough to compensate for whatever Holden was contributing, or if they aren't, the Avs will be needing to look at another solution completely

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Radulov! It's gonna happen.

Do they get NHL Center Ice in Russia? He's gotta watch his future teammates closely.

Radulov is probably wondering if there's a KHL Center Ice here so his future teammates can watch his greatness while they wait. :laugh:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Russia doesn't have centre ice they better get it soon. Or maybe all they need is Altitude because Colorado could become a bigger NHL team in Russia than the Caps were with Ovie/Varly/Semin.

We could see a team in 2-3 years with Varly, Radulov, Grigorenko, Zadorov and Mironov.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I agree that Colorado would probably have to trade someone if they signed another defenseman, but I think they should. Christian Ehrhoff or Cody Franson on a one-year deal could do wonders to the Power-Play.

As for moving Nick Holden's contract, I think the most movable contract is that of Zach Redmond.

He's relatively young making relatively little, and there are many teams with no bottom pairing defensemen. Many teams have been replacing veterans with the bargain bin due to cap reasons.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
1 - Radulov's agent says his client and Patrick Roy remain in close contact (March)
2 - Rumors of Roy/Sakic talking to Radulov (May)
3 - Rumors of the Avalanche investigating the legitimacy of his KHL contract (May)
4 - Avs trade for 2 Russians in Grigorenko/Zadorov (June)
5 - Avs draft 2 more Russians at the draft in Mironov/Boikov (June)
6 - Today, Radulov tells Russian media that he will consider an NHL return next summer (July)

Tell me there isn't something in the works and I will call you a liar. Too much smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad