Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Updated thread title for the off-season, this will be the place to talk about Avs-related off-season news/rumors/etc.

If you want to discuss the Avs-related offseason news/rumors/etc., this will be the spot. If you want to post line-up thoughts, do it here. We are trying to get this place cleaned up a little, so until further notice, the rest of the NHL news/rumors/etc. talk for the rest of the offseason will be limited to the "Offseason 2015" thread.

[MOD EDIT]

We might be making even more consolidations, in an effort to try and streamline this place to make it easier for posters to participate in the threads they're most interested in. I cannot promise it will be perfect, but we're trying.

In the meantime, the bolded above applies to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Woot woot new thread!

I too would offer sheet the heck out of Taresenko, best case they match and have 0 cap space and have to trade stastny for stuart, worst case they dont match avs lose a fair amount of picks but then the forward core becomes so good I throw up in my mouth.

I would still try the kruger saad double offer sheet. Or would go for kadri, guy gets a lot of flack but he is a pretty good player (granted I know they would match). Maybe someone like Galchenyuk but I don't think Roy could do it to the habs

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Would be funny to offersheet Saad first, then have them match it and offersheet Kruger. Oh well, I'm not a fan of offesheets though and neither are GMs really.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's astonishing to me how many media outlets are putting guys like Mike Green, Paul Martin, and Cody Franson as better UFA's than Andrej Sekera.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I asked this in the last thread, and it might have been answered but got buried...

Is the "tamper window" still open?
Can we currently talk to guys like Sekera?

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I think Chicago is due for another offersheet. San jose did the niemi/hammer double offer sheet and worked out for them. I would go saad/kruger root. At most you give up a 1/2/3 pick for both of them, at best they match and desperately have to trade sharp.

I really think the Avs have identified a few players they would like to throw an offer sheet at and that is why they made the trade with San Jose. If they do not plan to offer sheet they could have got a package of 2015 draft picks to move back which would have been more valuable, especially to restock the prospect pool.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I really think the Avs are going to sign Sekera. The funny thing will be media outlets will say the Avs only partially solved their defence this summer. Meanwhile, EJ and Sekera will be incredibly dominant together. It won't be until the end of next season that the media realizes locking up EJ and Sekera to a combined 12+ million was a really good idea.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I think Chicago is due for another offersheet. San jose did the niemi/hammer double offer sheet and worked out for them. I would go saad/kruger root. At most you give up a 1/2/3 pick for both of them, at best they match and desperately have to trade sharp.

I really think the Avs have identified a few players they would like to throw an offer sheet at and that is why they made the trade with San Jose. If they do not plan to offer sheet they could have got a package of 2015 draft picks to move back which would have been more valuable, especially to restock the prospect pool.

I'm generally anti offersheets. It's usually not smart, and mostly just fan fantasy. But I guess I could see them doing it.

I really think the Avs are going to sign Sekera. The funny thing will be media outlets will say the Avs only partially solved their defence this summer. Meanwhile, EJ and Sekera will be incredibly dominant together. It won't be until the end of next season that the media realizes locking up EJ and Sekera to a combined 12+ million was a really good idea.

I also feel like Sekera is ours. I have the same feeling now as I did last year with Iginla.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Ooof, yours truly is eating some serious crow this morning. Was away for 5 days hiking in the backcountry with zero cell access, and came back to a very different hockey team. But I'll tell ya, this crow tastes pretty good.

First of all, good for Sakic. He had to make a damn tough decision there - both on-ice and in the face of his fans (popular player, etc) - and not only did he make the tough decision, he got good return doing so. In the face of a pretty bad situation, he got pretty much the best result he could have, IMO. He showed he deserved more confidence that I was ever willing to give him. Kudos.

As far as the return goes, I can't imagine too many Avs fans in here are too upset. They got another young defenseman with big upside, a good pick, and two quality prospects. Now, they did also part with McGinn while doing so, and that is not meaningless. Make no mistake - this trade was expensive for Colorado. The Avs pretty much handed Buffalo 40 goals and 100 points this upcoming season, while only taking back one actual regular NHL player, and that one doesn't even have 82 NHL games under his belt. This is the sort of trade that rebuilding teams typically make, and IMO it's quite possible that Colorado will be a worse team on the ice immediately following this trade (UFA acquisitions TBD) this upcoming season, but could be a much better team a few years down the road. Because O'Reilly is - right now - by far the best player in the deal, and Buffalo got the only two players in the deal who have played more than one full NHL season (82 games). It might take a bit of time for Colorado to match what they would/could have been in 2016 with O'R/McGinn on the roster. But there's no doubt that the future upside is nice here.

As far as the draft goes, I'm again impressed with Sakic. I'm no scout of junior players, but from what I've read, the kid they got at #10 is a perfectly reasonable pick. I have no idea when the Avs' management took the Asset Management 101 course, but in the 2nd round, the Avs worked it very nicely. They got back a couple of picks for that #31 pick, and then also traded a very late pick so they could negotiate a contract with Soderberg. They clearly need(ed) more organizational depth and an O'R replacement, and used draft pick asset management to deal with both issues. Well done.

As for the FA part of this, it's obviously not finished, but I like the Soderberg signing - a tad expensive perhaps, but a good player. Nice to have a 6'+ center, too (when the team is on the road, people are going to think that Joey Hishon is his teenage son). Obviously, I think the Avs would do well to finish out that left side of the defense. Everyone is talking about Sekera or Ehrhoff, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a lesser player like Irwin or something, now that they have Zadorov. I also think it would be a good thing for them to sign a veteran forward/wing UFA to a short mid-level contract. Because right now, the Avs are only 2 injuries on the top 2 lines away from a fairly uninspiring player being up there on said top lines. And that's only if Grigorenko gets his ass out of the AHL (which I believe he will from the get go).

In the end, the 2009 rebuild didn't produce a cup-contending team, so it required a 2015 mini-rebuild. Or it required a little influx of fuel to push it towards cup-contending status. I believe this could be that influx. I'm not entirely sure what this portends for the 2015-16 version of the Avalanche, but I'm excited to see it on the ice.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Good post AB (good to see you back here as well).

The only reason I can think of a McGinn inclusion right now, is because they believe someone they have can fill his role (either that's on the team, or Grigorenko that they acquired, or Rendulic?), or they have someone in mind that they believe they can get at either the same cap hit, or slightly less....or, and I believe this might be the more predominant reasoning--they're concerned about his back.

Yes he had the surgery, and yes it was stated, quite plainly, that he's expected to be fully healthy for Training Camp, but they could have still had some great worry over how it would hold up over the year.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Good post AB (good to see you back here as well).

The only reason I can think of a McGinn inclusion right now, is because they believe someone they have can fill his role (either that's on the team, or Grigorenko that they acquired, or Rendulic?), or they have someone in mind that they believe they can get at either the same cap hit, or slightly less....or, and I believe this might be the more predominant reasoning--they're concerned about his back.

Yes he had the surgery, and yes it was stated, quite plainly, that he's expected to be fully healthy for Training Camp, but they could have still had some great worry over how it would hold up over the year.

I think McGinn is an interesting situation. I was personally surprised when they extended him before last season, they did so for only two years, and IIRC it was right up until his exact UFA date/age. I thought that was kind of odd. It was almost like they were willing to use up all of his RFA age, but weren't terribly interested in seeing him on the roster after that. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I think McGinn is one of those valuable players on winning teams. In that trade, he's not a throw in at all, IMO.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Ooof, yours truly is eating some serious crow this morning. Was away for 5 days hiking in the backcountry with zero cell access, and came back to a very different hockey team. But I'll tell ya, this crow tastes pretty good.

First of all, good for Sakic. He had to make a damn tough decision there - both on-ice and in the face of his fans (popular player, etc) - and not only did he make the tough decision, he got good return doing so. In the face of a pretty bad situation, he got pretty much the best result he could have, IMO. He showed he deserved more confidence that I was ever willing to give him. Kudos.

As far as the return goes, I can't imagine too many Avs fans in here are too upset. They got another young defenseman with big upside, a good pick, and two quality prospects. Now, they did also part with McGinn while doing so, and that is not meaningless. Make no mistake - this trade was expensive for Colorado. The Avs pretty much handed Buffalo 40 goals and 100 points this upcoming season, while only taking back one actual regular NHL player, and that one doesn't even have 82 NHL games under his belt. This is the sort of trade that rebuilding teams typically make, and IMO it's quite possible that Colorado will be a worse team on the ice immediately following this trade (UFA acquisitions TBD) this upcoming season, but could be a much better team a few years down the road. Because O'Reilly is - right now - by far the best player in the deal, and Buffalo got the only two players in the deal who have played more than one full NHL season (82 games). It might take a bit of time for Colorado to match what they would/could have been in 2016 with O'R/McGinn on the roster. But there's no doubt that the future upside is nice here.

As far as the draft goes, I'm again impressed with Sakic. I'm no scout of junior players, but from what I've read, the kid they got at #10 is a perfectly reasonable pick. I have no idea when the Avs' management took the Asset Management 101 course, but in the 2nd round, the Avs worked it very nicely. They got back a couple of picks for that #31 pick, and then also traded a very late pick so they could negotiate a contract with Soderberg. They clearly need(ed) more organizational depth and an O'R replacement, and used draft pick asset management to deal with both issues. Well done.

As for the FA part of this, it's obviously not finished, but I like the Soderberg signing - a tad expensive perhaps, but a good player. Nice to have a 6'+ center, too (when the team is on the road, people are going to think that Joey Hishon is his teenage son). Obviously, I think the Avs would do well to finish out that left side of the defense. Everyone is talking about Sekera or Ehrhoff, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a lesser player like Irwin or something, now that they have Zadorov. I also think it would be a good thing for them to sign a veteran forward/wing UFA to a short mid-level contract. Because right now, the Avs are only 2 injuries on the top 2 lines away from a fairly uninspiring player being up there on said top lines. And that's only if Grigorenko gets his ass out of the AHL (which I believe he will from the get go).

In the end, the 2009 rebuild didn't produce a cup-contending team, so it required a 2015 mini-rebuild. Or it required a little influx of fuel to push it towards cup-contending status. I believe this could be that influx. I'm not entirely sure what this portends for the 2015-16 version of the Avalanche, but I'm excited to see it on the ice.

Excellent post!

I think the way the front office looked at this trade was:

out goes ROR/McGinn from the top 9, and in comes Sodeberg, and Grigorenko and then improvement on the back end. I have never seen Grigorenko play live but from people that have, especially in the AHL he has started to turn the corner, and because Roy coached him in the past he is obviously very familiar with him. It does sting to lose ROR, especially if/when he signs for less than 8 with buffalo but they got some good players back and it should work out while for the future for both clubs.

I look at the roster now, especially the forwards and think man this team is bad but when you consider McGinn, Tanguay, Mack, Winchester were all hurt for good portions of the season it is at least comparable. I just really hope Mackinnon gets a shot at center, in my mind his skillset is perfectly suited for center, before the avs had the luxury of 2-3 guys (Duchene, ROR, Stastny) that were better than him and could get away with saying oh well he is young, these guys are helping the defensive load etc...but not I don't think they have that excuse. They need to give him a good chunk of games at center and see what happens.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
With the Soderberg signing I cant see them going after a mid range cost forward (3 or 4+) like Ward or Frolik
Somebody cheap(ish) perhaps.
My money is that they are bringing two UFA D. One with longer term, i.e Sekera, the other shorter which allows them to work in one of their younger guys. i.e. Hejda

I know some dont like the idea of bringing him back but not only do I think he will sign here but sign for a bit less in term giving us some flexibility.

Avalanche2133

May 16, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
I agree with you badger. They must have a offer sheet up their sleeve to trade out of 31 to 39 for a pick next year in a deep draft like this year. Especially with it being their own pick needed to do up a offer sheet.

I think with Sekera or Ehrhoff signing we don't need a D sheet. This leads me to believe it's for a forward. Our depth there is no better than it was last year. We actually lost 2 players (O'reilly and Mcginn)at forward and got 1 back. (Soderberg). We will see if Grigorenko can make the team out of camp. We currently have a good top 6 again but not much in bottom 6.

Just wondering some teams who are up against the cap with some good RFAs we have a chance to steal?

Chicago
Saad

Anaheim
Silfverberg

St Louis
Taresenko

Montreal
Galchenyuk

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think McGinn is an interesting situation. I was personally surprised when they extended him before last season, they did so for only two years, and IIRC it was right up until his exact UFA date/age. I thought that was kind of odd. It was almost like they were willing to use up all of his RFA age, but weren't terribly interested in seeing him on the roster after that. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I think McGinn is one of those valuable players on winning teams. In that trade, he's not a throw in at all, IMO.

We could have used McGinn yes but from an asset standpoint he was the easiest to let go. How far into the season would we have gone before hearing the drum start beating about how they better extend him or get something for him. I'm even a bit surprised a team wanted to take him on without even seeing what he looks like after the surgery. I'm sure he's good to go but back issues linger, how many games can he get through before there is pain again. To not have to give up anything of present value beyond this season is amazing, Buffalo required no picks, prospects or conditionals back. We got a top 4 (IMO) D for under 1M for the next two seasons, basically replaced McGinn's 3M with whatever Grig signs for and saved at minimum 1.25 going from O'Reilly to Soderberg. We may have gained a bit of uncertainty in the level of experience these guys have but we've gained cost certainty and assets that don't expire one year from now. Combined with Rantanen and hopefully at least 1 UFA signing we will come out ahead in combination of all these things. L

Must have been quite a shock to see the trade. :laugh: I would have been too though.

I can't wait until this offer sheet period is though. I think the point of getting our pick back is to have our pick back, to you know use it. Plus it's currency to make Boychuck type trades for teams that have to cut someone.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
We will see if Grigorenko can make the team out of camp.
Given he has to pass through waivers to get sent down, and was a piece in one of the most important trades this organization has made in years, I'd say he's a lock.

McGinn's back injury is a genetic thing he's had for years. I don't think it's going to just go away. I wish him the best, but adding him to the deal does make sense.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Saad or Tarasenko would be awesome, but I highly doubt it happens. I believe the plan is to sign a 3rd line forward and ensure we have some cap space for Sir Radulov next summer.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Anyone want to guess what Joel ward might be seeking? After watching his clutch play in the playoffs id love for the Avs to sign him to replace what mcginn brought.

But I fear he will be looking for a 4 x 4 deal which is too pricey.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Anyone want to guess what Joel ward might be seeking? After watching his clutch play in the playoffs id love for the Avs to sign him to replace what mcginn brought.

Without a doubt he'll get four million.

Would be nice if they sign a cheap 3rd liner or at least a quality 4th liner to keep our current scrubs off the ice.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

At least that. I think he stays in the east though.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto

Agreed. I think for months buffalo had their eyes on ROR and made it known to Sakic, and Sakic had his eye on Zadorov. Both teams knew a 1-1 was poor value for ROR and just needed to figure out the pieces. I think it went down (based on the media report, and the frantic calls/huddles etc at the draft table) something like this:

Plan going into draft day was zads 21 31 for ROR but then buffalo couldn't refuse that 21 overall for lehner/legwand. Sakic and Roy ask for Grigorenko to replace 21 overall which is then shot down unless they include Mcginn. They have some huddles and decide that Compher is the closest future comparable (other than foligno which I a sure murray said nope to) that buffalo has so they eventually agreed on the trade.

I think it is a really fair trade. Just doing an arbitrary break down I see it as
Ror for Zads, 31, Grigorenko (value is swayed in avs favor for this portion)
Mcginn for Compher (value is swayed in buffalo's favor)

On a side note, if the avs do offersheet hamilton and somehow got him, that could be a hilarious large defense in a couple years (assuming hamilton would mean bye bye barrie) with zadorov, geetsen, siemens, johnson, hamilton all being over 6'3.

There are a lot of 3/4 liners that would help the avs who are UFA available, guys like winnik, santorelli, glencross (although some people hate him) fehr. Not all of them will get overpaid...i hope

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Man there is a lot of good depth forwards on the market this year. I bet Toronto is gonna sign five of these and flip them all for picks at the deadline.

Now Stalberg is there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad