Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ya think?

I wonder who TB’s home opener will be against.

It’s going to be very interesting.

Here’s the thing I got to wondering last night:

Could NE have “loaded up” and surrounded Tom with the kind of talent he had in Tampa?
Belichick if drafted Debo Samuel like his scouts recommended and had a crystal ball and traded a top WR instead of Sanu

he went to perfect situation

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t kid yourself, refs screwed this game. Those calls were horrendous. Two personal fouls and two big holding calls. None of those were fouls. A big game like this, you give some leeway. Ticky tack calls. Brady should have gotten the persanl foul not Matheiu. 11 fouls to 4. Some kept drives alive. Game was out of reach before the half. It was a bad Super Bowl.
I thought there was definitely a couple of questionable calls.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’m taking my victory lap and enjoying it:

1. Because Tom is the man

2. Because I love seeing Bill squirm/pout.

Having said that, the Pats won several of their titles with balance: Solid defense with playmaking ability combined with clutch, albeit not sexy offense.

Obviously the team evolved over time and Brady went from a system guy with upside to MVP caliber world beater.

And yet there were many many years that went by where they put up the offensive numbers and won divisions, but the biggest prize eluded them.

Still, when the team composition had serious deficiencies, Brady often masked many of the warts.

As they say, familiarity breeds contempt and it was clear that it just wasn’t going to work here anymore.

When all is said and done, I’ll continue to watch Patriots games when Tom has long since retired. Old wounds will heal and he’ll have his moments in Foxboro. The hatchet will be buried as it has been with so many others whom Belichick moved on from.

The best story and most enjoyable scenario for next season is that both teams are highly competitive.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I’ve heard Michael Holley say on WEEI that Bill Belichick was a week or two from away from benching Drew Bledsoe in favor of Brady in 2001 even if Bledsoe hadn’t been hurt. Mo Lewis just sped things along and gave Belichick the excuse to pull the trigger without endless questions from the media. At least at first.

Holley should know considering all the time he spent in Foxborough for his books.

Safe to say that's pure self-serving bs released by the team. Think about the facts:

They literally JUST gave bledsoe the biggest contract in nfl history.

Week one: Bledsoe throws for 250 yds 2 tds and 0 picks. Their leading rusher had a whole 33 yds.

Week two: gets injured.

The pats internal scouting report on Brady from earlier that offseason said he was nowhere near ready to be a starter.

But sure, they were ready to bench bledsoe.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
020821_PageOne_3rdEdit.jpg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The question was resoundingly answered 2 weeks ago when Brady made it back to the Super Bowl, but man, he really put a cherry on top of the sundae last night. His leaving and going to a loser franchise like the Bucs and then going on to win a super bowl in a pandemic year with little to no off season training and practice says everything you need to know. What makes it worse is that this isn't about Brady vs BB the coach, but more of a screaming indictment of BB the general manager. He didn't do his job and he left the team incredibly short handed in skill positions on offense and that's just criminal. He left Brady out on an island by himself way too often, just because he could and he knew Tom would make due. That's just shitty, and as a fan, I feel cheated.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The question was resoundingly answered 2 weeks ago when Brady made it back to the Super Bowl, but man, he really put a cherry on top of the sundae last night. His leaving and going to a loser franchise like the Bucs and then going on to win a super bowl in a pandemic year with little to no off season training and practice says everything you need to know. What makes it worse is that this isn't about Brady vs BB the coach, but more of a screaming indictment of BB the general manager. He didn't do his job and he left the team incredibly short handed in skill positions on offense and that's just criminal. He left Brady out on an island by himself way too often, just because he could and he knew Tom would make due. That's just shitty, and as a fan, I feel cheated.

Brady played GM, coach, and his usual role as GOAT this year and finished 15-5 post Bill with a superbowl MVP beating Brees Rodgers and Mahomes. Incredible

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
In honestly more interested to see how KC rebounds than how TB comes back.
I honestly think the only thing that will keep Kansas City from completely imploding is Mahomes. He’s that good.

But I can definitely see the Chiefs spending all of next season out of sorts and “squeezing the stick too hard” (to use a hockey saying). The Super Bowl hangover is real, folks. As a sports fan and observer of human behavior, I’m dying to see how the Chiefs react to this.

My guess is not as well as the Patriots after Super Bowl LII.

Reactions: JOKER 192

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
This is a YUGE offseason for the hoodie. If the Patriots don’t massively rebound, Belichick will be on a very hot seat.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I honestly think the only thing that will keep Kansas City from completely imploding is Mahomes. He’s that good.

But I can definitely see the Chiefs spending all of next season out of sorts and “squeezing the stick too hard” (to use a hockey saying). The Super Bowl hangover is real, folks. As a sports fan and observer of human behavior, I’m dying to see how the Chiefs react to this.

My guess is not as well as the Patriots after Super Bowl LII.

I agree with that top line. They’ll always be in the mix, probably never win less than 9 games minimum with him back there.

money will be An issue at some point as well I would think

Reactions: rfournier103

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
In honestly more interested to see how KC rebounds than how TB comes back.
KC's path forward reminds me so much of the Packers after they won their SB.

They are going to start gutting the defensive side of the ball to pay offensive guys, because they have Mahomes locked up for a while.

His new cap number kicks in next year, and then rises again the following year. With the cap going down significantly, that's bad news for them.

Chiefs will be pseudo-contenders every year, but much like Rodgers and GB after they won, they'll always come short because of roster construction.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
What worries me about Bill is he going to overreact and overspend trying to compete with Brady when he really should be roster building finding the next long term QB?
That's never been his MO, I doubt that changes now, especially if he ends up drafting a QB.

He'll spend a lot of that cap on rebuilding the front 7, especially at LB.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
What worries me about Bill is he going to overreact and overspend trying to compete with Brady when he really should be roster building finding the next long term QB?
A legitimate concern, but Bill usually isn’t one to overreact - usually the opposite is the problem. The real question is will he use the Patriots’ draft picks wisely and draft the right guys?

I really think that if he doesn’t hit a grand slam in this draft he’s going to be in trouble with the Krafts.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
TB12 has now won more Super Bowls than ANY FRANCHISE

He was outta here for a variety of reasons. Personally, I think Mrs. Brady was disgusted by Kraft's visit to a strip mall 2 years ago.

Sure he got a break by playing the SB in his home stadium but he had to win 3 road games to get there.

wasn’t Bill trying to ditch Brady for years?

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
A legitimate concern, but Bill usually isn’t one to overreact - usually the opposite is the problem. The real question is will he use the Patriots’ draft picks wisely and draft the right guys?

I really think that if he doesn’t hit a grand slam in this draft he’s going to be in trouble with the Krafts.

i don’t, he did well in the draft last year. Dugger and Onwenu are already starters. Uche had one of the best 1 on 1 pass rush%. The tight ends haven’t really done much yet but there’s plenty of room for growth- at this point they’re gravy

Getting Onwenu when he did was a stroke of brilliance. He’s a great player at both guard and tackle

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

you have 6 Super Bowls and they typically spent to the cap, you shouldn’t feel that cheated

Reactions: Nihiliste

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
you have 6 Super Bowls and they typically spent to the cap, you shouldn’t feel that cheated

I feel cheated in that Brady is still at the top of his game, but they didn't give him enough talent to maximize the window. I feel like they cut it short out of personality conflicts and that's shitty. And I'm not saying they won 6 and should have won more, it's just watching an all time great player succeed with a different team is bittersweet.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I feel cheated in that Brady is still at the top of his game, but they didn't give him enough talent to maximize the window. I feel like they cut it short out of personality conflicts and that's shitty. And I'm not saying they won 6 and should have won more, it's just watching an all time great player succeed with a different team is bittersweet.

that money went to the defense, which they never really won a super bowl without. I mean think of when they loaded up on offense? They didn’t win the super bowl

basically whenever their defense wasn’t great they couldn’t win a SB, regardless of how well Brady played.

This past year they had so much dead cap they couldn’t do anything even if they wanted to.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've seen this in Meme form but the most interesting aspect of Tom Brady's career is that a case could be made that he could have had 3 separate Hall of Fame worthy careers.
(Not counting 2000 and 2008 when he only appeared in one game each season)

Career 1 ---- 2001 - 2007 - 111 Games - 197 TD's - 3 Championships

Career 2 --- 2009 - 2015 - 112 Games - 231 TD's - 1 Championship

Career 3 --- 2016 - 2021 - 76 Games - 153 TD's - 3 Championships

Brady's Totals - 299 Games - 581 TD's - 7 Championships

For context:

Joe Montana - Career

192 Games - 273 TD's - 4 Championships

Terry Bradshaw - Career

168 Games - 212 TD's - 4 Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad