Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's unbelievably exhausting.

Guess what? It literally doesn't matter who deserves more credit. It doesn't. It has zero impact on my enjoyment of the sport. In fact, it takes away from the appreciation of the 20 great years that we had because all people want to do is complain.

I say this as someone who thinks it's 60/40 Brady/Belichick. This obsession with making everything black or white or all or nothing is ridiculous and makes us look like an immature fan base who is incapable of simply being happy about what we were able to experience.

In every SB winning season, there were hundreds of plays made by guys not named Brady that could have changed the course of history.

Vinatieri’s kicks.

Edelman’s miracle catch vs. Atlanta

Strip Sack by Hightower vs. Atlanta

Just to name a few.

No doubt in my mind that they don’t win 6 titles if either isn’t here.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I have no issue with Brady/Belichick back and forth. When the guy walks out the door and wins with one of the worst franchises in sports I totally get the angst from Patriots fans. Whether some want to admit it or not it's not going to just be a regional narrative. Brady winning a SB without Bill in his first year with another team (in a COVID year)...this will be a national narrative.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In every SB winning season, there were hundreds of plays made by guys not named Brady that could have changed the course of history.

Vinatieri’s kicks.

Edelman’s miracle catch vs. Atlanta

Strip Sack by Hightower vs. Atlanta

Just to name a few.

No doubt in my mind that they don’t win 6 titles if either isn’t here.

If mo lewis doesn't kill Bledsoe, I honestly wonder if they win any.

Reactions: Alicat

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
One could argue that lucking into Brady masks a lot of bad roster decisions.

I understand why one might make that line of argument, but it doesn't explain why Brady wasn't able to make do with last year's roster. if guys like Chris Hogan and Philip Dorsett were interchangeable bit parts, why couldn't he make anything work with Jakobi Meyers (who wound up being one of the most efficient WRs in all of football this season, surprisingly.) I still think 2019 was just a string of unfortunate events more than anything - Bill got him AB. not his fault that AB wound up threatening some lady's kids on instagram. He got Sanu, who sprained his ankle right away and never recovered his form. Then Josh Gordon hurt his knee and relapsed, Harry got hurt, so on and so forth.

Like, obviously the greatest QB in the league will make a mediocre WR look like a pro bowler, and I'm sure there's some guy who is 3rd or 4th on the Bears depth chart who looks like some practice squad JAG since Mitch Trubisky has been throwing to him for the last 3 years who would put up big numbers if Brady or Rodgers were his QB. But one man can't win the Superbowl alone - look at 3 years ago, Brady himself put together the greatest single-game performance in postseason history, the greatest Superbowl by an individual player ever. And they f***ing lost because the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed. You can pin that on Belichick/Patricia for the state of the defense and maybe the Malcolm Butler thing. So they rebuild and strengthen the defense, he went and got John Simon, Danny Shelton, Adrian Clayborn, and Jason McCourty, and picked up Bentley in the draft. To fit thm in they had to let Dion Lewis, Danny Amendola, and Brnadin Cooks go, amongst other changes. And they won a damn Superbowl where they held the Rams to 3 points. But fans whine about why doesn't Brady have weapons to throw to anymore. Well, you need some balance if you want to win anything. Can't just load the entire cap on WRs like Brandin Cooks or you'll give up 51 points in the Superbowl again if you even get there.

Great players win, great coaches put players in position to be great. They work together, why does everyone have to make it all dramatic and pin them against each other?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat and CDJ

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If mo lewis doesn't kill Bledsoe, I honestly wonder if they win any.
I’ve heard Michael Holley say on WEEI that Bill Belichick was a week or two from away from benching Drew Bledsoe in favor of Brady in 2001 even if Bledsoe hadn’t been hurt. Mo Lewis just sped things along and gave Belichick the excuse to pull the trigger without endless questions from the media. At least at first.

Holley should know considering all the time he spent in Foxborough for his books.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1612760492204.jpg

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
IMG_20210207_190405700.jpg

Yes, Cosmo was at my Super Bowl party.

I predicted Bucs by 6 in the earlier forum.
Reason....Tom has more weapons, better o-line and Tampa has the better secondary and the better power RB.
This was not even close...I have never seen a QB have to mindlessly scramble as much as Mahomes. He had one effective reciever, Kelsey. That's it.
Other than that, Mahomes ran due to broken plays.

Congrats Tommy and the Bucs!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: