Patriots/NFL Off Season 2021 - Free Agent Frenzy II - Robert Kraft on spending: In business to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

yikes

giphy.gif

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Isaiah Wilson has been a troubled player going way back before he ever met the NFL. I honestly didn’t think of the head injury possibility and was thinking his attitude and behaviors in Tenn and Miami was just an extension of his college days where he was nothing but trouble there too. Hence my post above mocking him because Taylor came to the NFL with a history. I suppose his erratic antics could be the result of a head injury.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Isaiah Wilson has been a troubled player going way back before he ever met the NFL. I honestly didn’t think of the head injury possibility and was thinking his attitude and behaviors in Tenn and Miami was just an extension of his college days where he was nothing but trouble there too. Hence my post above mocking him because Taylor came to the NFL with a history. I suppose his erratic antics could be the result of a head injury.

Was this the case? I'm honestly asking.

I had read that he wasn't any trouble in college, and the belief was that the lack of structure in the NFL versus college may have something to do with it. There's also the CTE possibility or some other undiagnosed psychological issue.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Respectfully disagree.

Fournette is much more of a pass-catching threat than either Michel or Harris. I think the Patriots would become a lot less predictable with him on the field.

What does Fournette do that James White doesn't? Because in my mind oh, James White is the better back. He also knows your system. On top of that, white is a faster back. To me bringing on Leonard fournette would be a downgrade

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I guess Lazar wasn’t lying when he said he turned down more money elsewhere

he may have left 10+ mill on the table with that contract he signed, sheeeesh

love that he wants to be here as much as he does

The agendas of certain posters in this thread vis-a-vis Belichick have taken a massive hit the last week. I love it.

Every time a new item like this comes out, I'll make the same "players hate Belichick11!1!11!" sarcastic comment, and it will never get old.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What does Fournette do that James White doesn't? Because in my mind oh, James White is the better back. He also knows your system. On top of that, white is a faster back. To me bringing on Leonard fournette would be a downgrade

he’s a better pure rusher than White but despite his hefty receptions totals in some seasons he is nowhere near as dynamic catching the ball out of the backfield

I would prefer White to him too, especially for the role they play

Damien Williams is a sneaky guy to watch

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Fournette is good, I just don't see the point in investing money on the RB position. Literally the least important of all 22 people on the field.

If White is cheaper, just keep him

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Am I to believe that players are taking massive pay cuts to stay here, calling New England home after returning and excited to be here? You can’t convince me.

Cassius Marsh must be so confused

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Was this the case? I'm honestly asking.

I had read that he wasn't any trouble in college, and the belief was that the lack of structure in the NFL versus college may have something to do with it. There's also the CTE possibility or some other undiagnosed psychological issue.
I understand there was issues some with drinking and maturity in Georgia. Nothing major or big deal at the time though but the indicators were there, it was overlooked because he was a hard worker in the gym and a beast on the field. He didn’t spend much time in college, 2 years on the field and 1 yr as a red shirt. He came into the draft fairly young and it appears a ton of his problems appear to be over-drinking. He continued to go to frat parties when he turned pro and a few other incidents.

Agreed though, this could be CTE or an undiagnosed mental illness. Or at his young age, he just is not able to handle adult life at this point. Refusing help to get his life back in order is a big red flag, both the Titans and Fins offered help and he turned them both down. So, he is in denial or incapable of making solid decisions?

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Fournette is good, I just don't see the point in investing money on the RB position. Literally the least important of all 22 people on the field.

If White is cheaper, just keep him
I dunno about that. While it is true the value of a running back has dropped off over the last 20 yrs but considering the ball still goes to a RB on average 45-46% of the time on offense...I would call that a pretty important person on the field. Maybe you meant “a workhorse” running back? Those types of RBs are pretty much useless these days but you still need a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield or you are screwed on offense. You need talent in the backfield to keep defenses honest and guessing.

I would love White back over Fournette too. I am unsure if it will happen though, the rumor is he wants to be closer to his family in FLA plus you have Brady tugging at him. We will see....

I don’t want to go near Fournette either for different reasons than most of you which surprises me. Fournette is a headache and almost got tossed off Tampa just before the playoffs for being a bad teammate because he was behind Jones in the depth chart. You think he is going to be happy in NE with an even bigger running back by committee than what Tampa had? Forget it.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I dunno about that. While it is true the value of a running back has dropped off over the last 20 yrs but considering the ball still goes to a RB on average 45-46% of the time on offense...I would call that a pretty important person on the field. Maybe you meant “a workhorse” running back? Those types of RBs are pretty much useless these days but you still need a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield or you are screwed on offense. You need talent in the backfield to keep defenses honest and guessing.

I would love White back over Fournette too. I am unsure if it will happen though, the rumor is he wants to be closer to his family in FLA plus you have Brady tugging at him. We will see....

I don’t want to go near Fournette either for different reasons than most of you which surprises me. Fournette is a headache and almost got tossed off Tampa just before the playoffs for being a bad teammate because he was behind Jones in the depth chart. You think he is going to be happy in NE with an even bigger running back by committee than what Tampa had? Forget it.

He was great in the playoffs but that’s definitely a good point. It didn’t end well in Jax either

Reactions: Barnum

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
He was great in the playoffs but that’s definitely a good point. It didn’t end well in Jax either
He was a head case in Jacksonville too. The scuttlebutt was he was bad mouthing and hampering Thompson when Jax signed him because they were competing for RB time and that was the final straw. That goes with the list of other shit of being a crappy teamamate. Then you have Tampa and it’s only been 5 years in the league. Dude is coming off one of the best playoff performances in NFL history and there is articles all over the place in TB that they are better off letting him walk away, That tells me all I need to know about Fournette. Tampa only had 3 RBs and he was bitching and moaning over playing time and almost booted off the team. How he is ever going to handle NE and the 4 RBs on the roster with the possibility of White and Burkhead returning? Incredible talent but not worth the time for a team like NE. Let him go to a team that doesn’t care about winning.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

The scuttlebutt is that they really like Fields

that makes me think he’s their least favorite

I also do this trade in a millisecond to pick Lance (or Fields). I would try and surrender a little less in a move up for Jones, I don’t think they’d need to get that high for him

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

The scuttlebutt is that they really like Fields

that makes me think he’s their least favorite

I also do this trade in a millisecond to pick Lance (or Fields). I would try and surrender a little less in a move up for Jones, I don’t think they’d need to get that high for him

If we trade up while I do like Fields over Lance, I would love to see if we could get Wilson.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Patriots owner on spending: In business to win

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, whose team went on a free-agent binge that broke the NFL record for most guaranteed money spent on signings, described the aggressive approach as strategic.

"It's like investing in the stock market," Kraft said, according to the "Football Morning In America" column. "You take advantage of corrections and inefficiencies in the market when you can, and that's what we did here. We'll see. Nothing is guaranteed, and I'm very cognizant of that. But we're not in the business to be in business. We're in this business to win."

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad