OFF DAY THREAD! We give points away for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
All the top teams now load up their top line and I think we might have to do that.

Malkin - Crosby - Zucker
Guentzel - McCann - Rust
Tanev - Tb - Kap
Zar - Jank - Scaviour

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

giphy.gif

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
This shows the team impact too but I’m sure we’re all aware of that. Still Jarry needs to be better

My understanding is that GSAx accounts for shot quality and levels the playing field for goalies on good vs. bad defensive teams, so Jarry's numbers here can't be softened by bad defensive play. But as your chart suggests, his numbers should continue to regress back to the mean.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My understanding is that GSAx accounts for shot quality and levels the playing field for goalies on good vs. bad defensive teams, so Jarry's numbers here can't be softened by bad defensive play. But as your chart suggests, his numbers should continue to regress back to the mean.

That is definitely true and he could have made some more saves from the eye test but the analytics can’t measure the mental aspect. I wouldn’t use that as a strong defense for a skater but goalies I think there is a bit more to it especially on the Pens (see below).

EDIT: Small sample size too but things should stabilize for all soonish. Although the analytical guys said the lock out season threw more curve balls than any other recent season. This one potentially throws more stats out of whack

Pens will never have a Vezina goalie because over the years under pretty much every coach I’ve seen we probably gamble more than other teams but when you have Sid/Geno it’s usually a good bet. We will hang out goalies out to dry at some moments during a game. I’d rather play a bit safer now as a team and less gambling. I think that’s the way to win more in the NHL these days. Goals for will drop but hopefully GA will drop more

RSPens

May 25, 2015
How about that POJ hit on Studnicka...that was a beauty. POJ is still going to make a few rookie mistakes each game, but I am really liking what I am seeing there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I found the interview with Dreger. Like I said, it's Biron grossly taking Dreger out of context.

The Instigators

Dreger said that if new management came to Crosby and Malkin and said "look, we need to renovate this thing" (meaning rebuild), they'd ask Crosby and Malkin if they'd rather stick out a 2-3 year rebuild/retool or "consider other opportunities to chase a Stanley Cup". Dreger made absolutely no indication that either Crosby or Malkin would say yes to that, beyond saying that Crosby is ultra competitive. He just said that the management may give Crosby and Malkin the opportunity to go to a contender if they want to.

Not only is it based on a faulty assumption that the Penguins would hire a GM that wants to retool, because they're flat out not going to hire a guy who's going to rebuild the team right now, but Dreger also gave no indication that either Crosby or Malkin would say yes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad