Confirmed Signing with Link: OEL verbal contract agreement (8.25M * 8 years)

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I think OEL is the better player ... unless you meant Karlsson, granted I fully admit I have watched Carlson a lot more than OEL but Carlson reminds me of a slightly better Shattenkirk
I'm saying John Carlson will sign for 8 or slightly less with the Capitals. OEL is better than Carlson and Carlson is considerably better than Shatty

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Looks awful in a vacuum when you compare OEL with P.K and their respective deals. But that's 10% of next years cap and the cap will only go up from there. It'll sort itself out.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Good for OEL. Good for the Coyotes. Great for Coyotes fans!

This isn't just an average contract extension. This is a potential team captain and best player committing to the organization. Fans should be happy to see their talent staying with the team.

It's a not so big secret that I love the Coyotes, so this is great news.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
why is Doan and OEL loving to play in a dead city with no fans, those players could get so much better on a team with a good fanbase

I'll assume you've never worked for a great company. A job that you loved going to every day. Sometimes the best company isn't the best place to work.

Maybe you don't actually know anything about the city, management or the inner working s of the hockey team. Maybe you look a the standings and assume is a shitty place to work.

I know personally, I'd rather be making $64mm and live in Phoenix than making $64mm and living in Manhattan. I'm looking for quality of life for me and my family......not how flashy the big city is.

I'm also not following how he'd become a better hockey player if he played on a better hockey team?

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Also.....I'm not getting the "risky if the team moves" talk in here??

A you people serious?

Is there a place in the North America, or the world for that matter, that you personally wouldn't move to if they offered you $64mm to go?

If so.....there are a lot of damn lucky people on this board!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's an UFA contract.

He'll be 28y when this contract kicks in, around the right age to give someone a contract like this.
8+ million to someone who will be past their prime for most of those years doesn't sound like a good idea

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
8+ million to someone who will be past their prime for most of those years doesn't sound like a good idea

Again it's an UFA contract, he's a great player& will be 28y when this contract kicks in.
You are mixing this with the 30+ UFA contracts for lesser players.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ive been hoping for this for a while. Ive now shifted into the ill believe it when i see it group.

Doughty and Kalrsson cant be happy about this deal.

Good for OEL though for not gouging the organization and this will certainly help make them competitive.

I don't think it'll be very relevant to their negotiations tbh, they'll look to Subban and say 1-2 more

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
8x8. Fair deal for both sides. This is the going rate for D men of his ilk.

Sets a very high bar for Doughty and EK though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I guess OEL is ok with not being part of a competitive team
'cause no team has ever had a turn around despite being poor for years, right?

The Coyotes have a very good D core, a very good goalie and several good, young pieces on O (Keller, Dvorak, Domi, Perlini plus whoever they get at 5th overall). They need to add 2 top 9 - ideally top 6 forwards - and they should be challenging for a wildcard spot. Chayka is on record as saying he is pursuing a top forward and had a trade almost completed that would have added an impact player and that talks are resuming leading up to the draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Moslty because of matthews... it is still a dead city and state for hockey. AZ will never ever have a competitive team.
They’ve had arena issues from the start. Seriously, unless the coyotes owners were ever going to pour millions into building their own rink the city of Phoenix wasn’t going to build another one for them when the TSRA is perfectly suitable for the nba and concerts.

Dallas, Colorado, Carolina all moved into older barns that were ultimately replaced after a few years after they moved. Arizona just ended up going to a city with a brand new 4 year old building that wasn’t designed for the nhl in mind. THen they opted to take the city paid arena in Glendale.

It’s been over 20 years since they arrived and the number issue still remains the arena because of location now, vs sight lines originally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad