Speculation: OEL trade speculation megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Of course they play negotiating games. You must not be in business my man. I hope you’re really good at a trade. You seem intelligent, but good lord you seem like easy bait.

What is Oliver negotiating? His way out of his NMC? You know you’d have a point if he’d asked for a trade, but he hasn’t. You do know that OEL can give Arizona all the teams he’d waive to, tell management to make a trade and THEN decide where to go? You do realize that right? Your whole negotiating scenario makes zero sense.

Reactions: JAK and CherryCoke

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It makes sense for OEL to say “no” today and tomorrow and then add a team or two on Monday or Tuesday at the last minute. He wants only to improve his chances of going to his 1st or 2nd favorite spot.

The bit about AZ liking Boston’s prospects more should be very encouraging to Vancouver fans. I take that to mean that Podkolzin and Hoglander are definitely not on the table. I could see liking Vaakanainen more than Rathbone or Juolevi. I guess that means that the key prospect return from Vancouver would be Rathbone/Juolevi rather than Podkolzin/Hoglander.

That’s great news for Nucks fans.
3c4677c041c7ed7d8f0b61ad42dcd3e4d9f2d7c5.gif

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Do not want at all. OEL's contract is going to be one of the worst contracts in the NHL in a couple years.

Can you explain why you think this?
He's been remarkable healthy his entire career, has the offensive acumen and breakout capabilities to keep up with the modern defensive game, and he skates well. If he plays anywhere close to what he did in AZ he'd instantly catapult to near top of the list of all time Canucks defenders.
At worst he'll be current day Alex Edler when he's that age, but he'd likely be quite a bit better based on his superior offensive awareness.

Based on the circumstances, I think the package for OEL will barely sting at all (if you can live without Olli "Question Mark" Juolevi and Jake "Powerforwards Take Longer to Develop" Virtanen). Jim loves his young players and will not be trading them, so I have no worries about him moving on guys like Hoglander, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Demko. But anything outside of those guys should absolutely be fair game... I mean how can you better address your weakness at defence than to get the best Dman to change uniforms in the offseason?

Mar 20, 2010
Doesn't VAN already have a formal offer on the table? Don't understand why Friedman is mentioning that VAN is 'wondering' if they can make it all 'work' with the cap and trade... wouldn't their submitted offer already have to work within the constraints?

Are offers/counteroffers already going back and forth?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Doesn't VAN already have a formal offer on the table? Don't understand why Friedman is mentioning that VAN is 'wondering' if they can make it all 'work' with the cap and trade... wouldn't their submitted offer already have to work within the constraints?

Given the prospects comment, it's likely the Coyotes are only looking at taking one contract (LE or Sutter) at most. That would leave Vancouver needing to clear space with other moves if they want to keep Markstrom and Toffoli.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Can you explain why you think this?
He's been remarkable healthy his entire career, has the offensive acumen and breakout capabilities to keep up with the modern defensive game, and he skates well. If he plays anywhere close to what he did in AZ he'd instantly catapult to near top of the list of all time Canucks defenders.
At worst he'll be current day Alex Edler when he's that age, but he'd likely be quite a bit better based on his superior offensive awareness.

Based on the circumstances, I think the package for OEL will barely sting at all (if you can live without Olli "Question Mark" Juolevi and Jake "Powerforwards Take Longer to Develop" Virtanen). Jim loves his young players and will not be trading them, so I have no worries about him moving on guys like Hoglander, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Demko. But anything outside of those guys should absolutely be fair game... I mean how can you better address your weakness at defence than to get the best Dman to change uniforms in the offseason?

Edit: And don't say Right-shot Defenceman. We're talking overall defence being improved simply by OEL's addition. We would still need to find others for the Right side.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Flames will go after Markstrom, Brodie, Pietrangelo, Hall, Dumba, can’t see OEL as a legit option unless Giordano is traded somewhere

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
three way trade between boston/van/arizona

Boston gets Jake virtanen+OEL
Vancouver gets:carlo+rask
arizona:Loui eriksson+sven+Boston's pick+prospect

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
OEL to Vancouver makes no sense, As it is just to resign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev Benning will need to move out some of his bad contracts like. Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi and teams aren't going to help them out. Plus add OEL and his $8,250,000 for 7 years on top plus give big contracts to Pettersson and Hughes next summer. Good luck with that.

This is Jim Benning we're talking about, he's always chasing after everybody whether or not it makes sense. If he had his way the team would be saddled with Lucic and Subban right now.

For the OP, if you're talking about a hockey trade than yes Boeser and a contract for OEL makes sense. If Arizona is looking to dump salary and take futures then it may not be what happens, there were rumours Sutter would be the player, but from a sensible Canucks perspective then Eriksson has to be going the other way. In a cap world you have to match contracts about as much you do player value when trading, and OEL is a massive contract to take on. From a financial perspective Eriksson should be an easy player for Arizona to take if they want to dump OEL for futures.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Totally out of the loop here. Is OEL still a number one defenseman, and what is Arizona looking at as a fair return?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Totally out of the loop here. Is OEL still a number one defenseman, and what is Arizona looking at as a fair return?
1) Yes.
2) More than other teams want to give. Haha. And it seems like they’re asking for less than us Arizona fans are hoping for. So unless OEL gives the Coyotes more teams to talk to, he’ll either remain a Coyote or Boston or Vancouver will get a HELLUVA deal.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
1) Yes.
2) More than other teams want to give. Haha. And it seems like they’re asking for less than us Arizona fans are hoping for. So unless OEL gives the Coyotes more teams to talk to, he’ll either remain a Coyote or Boston or Vancouver will get a HELLUVA deal.

1) That sucks for you guys then. Even though he's expensive you should never trade a #1D.

2) What do you think is a fair offer from Van and Boston, and what do you think your front office is asking for?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I never even thought about Studnicka. I figured with Boston’s centers aging out that he’d be TOTALLY untouchable. I figured it was 2020 2nd, 2021 1st Vaakanainen and Ritchie as a dump (maybe Moore). Which is wildly underwhelming to me. But I could see it being Boston’s final offer.

Funny thing about Ritchie, go plug him into the buyout calculator. You actually get a 300k CREDIT for buying him out this year. Probably neither here nor there but what a funny thing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
2) What do you think is a fair offer from Van and Boston, and what do you think your front office is asking for?

Based on the "ROR" trade template

From Vancouver: 2021 1st, Virtanen, Juolevi, Eriksson
From Boston: 2021 1st, Beecher, Vaakanainen, Moore

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I assume it means that AZ said no because of the dumps going to AZ to make it work.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1) That sucks for you guys then. Even though he's expensive you should never trade a #1D.

1) The Coyotes have been left in a god awful, nearly impossible position by their previous GM. We have no draft picks. Our under 25 core is merely above average. Our over 25 core is really quite bad. So hanging onto one of our only worthwhile trade chips over 25 in OEL (who’s 29) is quite pointless. Better to bolster the younger core for whom we still have some hope than to continue to support the older core that has proven they’re not that good.

2) No idea what the Coyotes are asking for. Based on the most recent quotes from Friedman, I’d guess it’s Vaakanainen, 2020 2nd, 2021 1st and Ritchie. But it hasn’t happened.

From Vancouver, I guess they’re asking gm for imaybe Virtanen, Juolevi, 2020 3rd, and 2021 1st.

As a Coyotes fan, I don’t like those deals. Especially since they apparently aren’t even being agreed to by the other teams. Lol. Taking less that that strikes me as a huge bummer. Haha.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I’m don’t think Boston goes for Beecher AND the 1st.

I think Boston pays a first a year away + Beecher to upgrade Vaakanainen to OEL and ditch Moore all day everyday. But you know how they are valuing guys internally better.

Mar 20, 2010
Given the prospects comment, it's likely the Coyotes are only looking at taking one contract (LE or Sutter) at most. That would leave Vancouver needing to clear space with other moves if they want to keep Markstrom and Toffoli.

Don't think it's likely but wonder if there's any chance that VAN's interest in OEL has to do with getting Markstrom to stay as well. Besides the fact that they are close friends, a D upgrade such as OEL helps the goalie as much as anyone else. Especially a goalie like Markstrom that carried a heavy burden to be the team's MVP this past season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Don't think it's likely but wonder if there's any chance that VAN's interest in OEL has to do with getting Markstrom to stay as well. Besides the fact that they are close friends, a D upgrade such as OEL helps the goalie as much as anyone else. Especially a goalie like Markstrom that carried a heavy burden to be the team's MVP this past season.

I don't think it's a coincidence that once the OEL to Vancouver rumors were going that the media started reporting progress on a Markstrom contract.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Seems like the hangup on Markstrom is entirely based on NMC. Markstrom is apparently willing to forgo it but wants to be compensated accordingly.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Based on the "ROR" trade template

From Vancouver: 2021 1st, Virtanen, Juolevi, Eriksson
From Boston: 2021 1st, Beecher, Vaakanainen, Moore

That seems pretty fair from Vancouver, but I don't think Virtanen is a good comparable to Berglund in that template. Berglund was 30 with a big contract, Virtanen is a 24 year old RFA. The better comparable would probably be Roussel.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
three way trade between boston/van/arizona

Boston gets Jake virtanen+OEL
Vancouver gets:carlo+rask
arizona:Loui eriksson+sven+Boston's pick+prospect
Well the Canucks sure make out like bandits in this one. 2 cap dumps and Virtanen and in return they get Carlo and Rask. OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad