Injury Report: OEL out about 3 weeks with meniscus tear per Gambo

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Geez he was walking pretty well for somebody with a torn MCL. Must have a high pain tolerance.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Sort of off topic because I don't feel like finding the Demers injury thread, but on Chiclets the other day he said he would be back before the end of the season. Not sure if he was just giving Biz crap for saying he was out for the year or not, but its something to watch for potentially.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sort of off topic because I don't feel like finding the Demers injury thread, but on Chiclets the other day he said he would be back before the end of the season. Not sure if he was just giving Biz crap for saying he was out for the year or not, but its something to watch for potentially.

I think he was serious.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He was a whooping boy around here for whatever reason but the team is undoubtedly better with him in the lineup. It'd be nice if he came back sooner than later.

He’s better than KConn and Toasterly for sure

But with the emergence of OEL and Hammer as a pair, JD will likely find himself on the bottom pairing. Him and Goose as a pair is a recipe for disaster

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Geez he was walking pretty well for somebody with a torn MCL. Must have a high pain tolerance.

Meniscus. Waaaaay different than any one of the ligaments. Damage to an MCL or ACL is usually 7-12 months of inactivity. PCL is generally 4-8 months. Meniscus can be as little as 1-2 weeks and as much as 6 months, depending on the size and location of the tear. The meniscus actually has some self healing capabilities, which is not the case with ligaments.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't get why people are bent out of shape about the timelines. Early on, before a doctor can make a full diagnosis, it is day-to day. For something like OEL's meniscus, it can mean rest and back to skating within a week or two. Then, it comes down to conditioning and any time needed to be able to skate a full 20-24 minutes after resting the knee for 7-14 days.

I take it that many of you have never had these injuries or been around people with these injuries to understand the timelines involved. They just call it day-to-day because it would not surprise me if he was back skating at practice in 10 days. From there, it is a matter of being able to skate fluidly and not have any further setbacks. Day-to-day is an appropriate timeline considering no activity can happen over the All-Star break and a certain amount of time thereafter.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Actually, it was reported two days after the initial report:

Coyotes' Jason Demers: No longer ruled out for season

To be honest, I think it is wishful thinking, but there may be some different medical breakthroughs that help strengthen the ligament in a shorter amount of time. I still would not expect Demers back, but if this person who helped Chychrun is legit and no setbacks are suffered, it could theoretically work out. I would put it at a 20-30% chance it happens. Bet he will be good and back to skating by mid-late May, which would be about 6-7 months

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have three toes that did that.

The cracked pelvis, compound broken tibia and fibula, broken femur, shattered oscalsis, and broken mandible were a bit of a distraction.
Did you crash a car or fall off of a skyscraper?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That femur is a big one.

Mine was....
Did you crash a car or fall off of a skyscraper?

Freeway headon in Nevada in August of 87. My Ford Econoline minivan versus a Honda Civic. I’ll spare the rest of the gruesome details.

Those toes got overlooked during the entire healing process. Weren’t discovered to have been broken until after I was out of the hospital and was visiting the out patient clinic for the pinky toe (it had been dislocated to the point where they cut one bone back and let it float on its own). Third metatarsal bones on all three middle toes had green stick fractures and mended themselves back at a slight angle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Mine was....

Freeway headon in Nevada in August of 87. My Ford Econoline minivan versus a Honda Civic. I’ll spare the rest of the gruesome details.

Those toes got overlooked during the entire healing process. Weren’t discovered to have been broken until after I was out of the hospital and was visiting the out patient clinic for the pinky toe (it had been dislocated to the point where they cut one bone back and let it float on its own). Third metatarsal bones on all three middle toes had green stick fractures and mended themselves back at a slight angle.
That is extremely intense. I imagine the mental and spiritual changes were as significant as the physical ones?

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad