Injury Report: OEL out about 3 weeks with meniscus tear per Gambo

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That is extremely intense. I imagine the mental and spiritual changes were as significant as the physical ones?

It happened so quick I never saw it coming. I'd pulled out from behind a cargo van in the right hand lane to go around him and the only thing I remember to date is two white dots suddenly in front of me then nothing.... until I came to about a half hour later and was looking up at a fire fighter/paramedic staring at me. Within a few seconds I realized I'd been in a wreck and my first reaction was to do an internal audit of myself so I could let the guy know where I was hurting and wasn't. It was actually a bit surreal. I was fully aware of everything around me.... could even make out conversations between other first responders going on outside my minivan. The senses were all in overdrive. Knew I was going to have to deal with a lot of pain when they got around to removing me from the vehicle but it didn't matter. I was so focused on keeping them informed on how I was doing and I even threw some humor into it. They had to think I was nuts at one point. :laugh:

The only hesitation I had mentally was getting back behind the wheel for the first time after recovering a few months. Was actually still on crutches at the time and was more concerned with dealing with the long drive from my sister's home in Colorado Springs back to Reno where I was living at the time than anything else.

In the last 31 years since the accident there's only been one incident that initiated a minor flashback. It was a few years ago on the Loop 101 north of Westgate. I was heading south when a car coming north from the Cardinals game lost control and went into and over on the cable center divider (before the concrete barriers) about 100 yards in from of me. Car rolled 2-3 times in mid air before coming to a stop on its roof in the southbound median.

I was on my phone talking to the wife when all this happened and that probably kept me from freaking out worse. But I still had a chill run up and down all over me.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I have three toes that did that.

The cracked pelvis, compound broken tibia and fibula, broken femur, shattered oscalsis, and broken mandible were a bit of a distraction.

IB1PrUb.png

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
It happened so quick I never saw it coming. I'd pulled out from behind a cargo van in the right hand lane to go around him and the only thing I remember to date is two white dots suddenly in front of me then nothing.... until I came to about a half hour later and was looking up at a fire fighter/paramedic staring at me. Within a few seconds I realized I'd been in a wreck and my first reaction was to do an internal audit of myself so I could let the guy know where I was hurting and wasn't. It was actually a bit surreal. I was fully aware of everything around me.... could even make out conversations between other first responders going on outside my minivan. The senses were all in overdrive. Knew I was going to have to deal with a lot of pain when they got around to removing me from the vehicle but it didn't matter. I was so focused on keeping them informed on how I was doing and I even threw some humor into it. They had to think I was nuts at one point. :laugh:

The only hesitation I had mentally was getting back behind the wheel for the first time after recovering a few months. Was actually still on crutches at the time and was more concerned with dealing with the long drive from my sister's home in Colorado Springs back to Reno where I was living at the time than anything else.

In the last 31 years since the accident there's only been one incident that initiated a minor flashback. It was a few years ago on the Loop 101 north of Westgate. I was heading south when a car coming north from the Cardinals game lost control and went into and over on the cable center divider (before the concrete barriers) about 100 yards in from of me. Car rolled 2-3 times in mid air before coming to a stop on its roof in the southbound median.

I was on my phone talking to the wife when all this happened and that probably kept me from freaking out worse. But I still had a chill run up and down all over me.
Very intense man, I can't even imagine going through something like that. Glad you made it out ok! I'm pretty sure if I were ever in an accident with that level of damage, I would opt for a tank going forward so kudos on getting back on the horse.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Getting BACK TO THE TOPIC..... :DD

Word is OEL will be skating with the team out of the break.

I would assume that means he is walking without pain and surgery is not considered necesary, but in reality nothing heals that quickly.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
As long as there's no risk of further tearing the meniscus you can manage the pain pretty easily with a cortisone shot.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
not a good injury. Meniscus is the cushion between the knee. Wendel Clark had that and it pretty well ended his career.
He'll come back from it I"m sure but there is no real solution to your meniscus.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I had a friend who was an elite college miler. Tore his meniscus jumping over another runner who fell in front of him. Had surgery, but continued to reinjure. Running career ended. Ended up with multiple surgeries and the doctors telling him to never run again.

On a positive note :D, Taylor Hall had surgery to repair torn meniscus in Nov 2016, came back to play 72 games that season, and put up 93 pts last season.

Reactions: lanky

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
not a good injury. Meniscus is the cushion between the knee. Wendel Clark had that and it pretty well ended his career.
He'll come back from it I"m sure but there is no real solution to your meniscus.
I think they have been doing surgery to replace meniscus in Germany for a few years now.

Reactions: azcanuck

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I think they have been doing surgery to replace meniscus in Germany for a few years now.
I was currious and read into it. Seems like a meniscus replacement is quiet popular in teh US for younger patients, because tehy cannot live without the meniscus without having hugher problems then older patients.
There are 2 replacement methods: 1. You take the meniscus from a dead body (transplantation)
2. An artificial meniscus made out of Kollagen.

Source: Meniskusersatz

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was currious and read into it. Seems like a meniscus replacement is quiet popular in teh US for younger patients, because tehy cannot live without the meniscus without having hugher problems then older patients.
There are 2 replacement methods: 1. You take the meniscus from a dead body (transplantation)

I remember reading about 3 or 4 years ago about a pro athlete having the surgery in Germany but I can't seem to remember who??

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I volunteer to donate my completely healthy meniscus to OEL. My competitive sports days are over...I can probably do without :dunno:

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would assume that means he is walking without pain and surgery is not considered necesary, but in reality nothing heals that quickly.
It depends what happened in the first place. I think it was Gambo who said it was a slight meniscus tear or something like that. It could have been less, maybe a tweak or something like that. Not sure if I would believe Dr. Gambo.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Per Rich Morin on Twitter....

OEL was out skating with the team today. No non-contact jersey either. Is supposed to get an update from Tocchet afterwards.

Reactions: Jmmack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad