Line Combos: Odd man out? Heinen, Bjork, Donato...

Who doesn't fit in top 9?

• Total voters

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Color me...unsurprised.

Who would you suggest?

I’m all for adding size/grit to the lineup, but not at the expense of being able to actually play.
I have never once suggested anyone who was unable to play hockey. The top 9 is soft, it isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact.

I’d like to see them make a push for a guy like Kreider and I’d move a guy like Bjork in a package for him, easily.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Marchand-Bergeron -Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Cehlarik
Donato-Backes-Heinen
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Bjork is out I think

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have never once suggested anyone who was unable to play hockey. The top 9 is soft, it isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact.

I’d like to see them make a push for a guy like Kreider and I’d move a guy like Bjork in a package for him, easily.

I’m sure Gorton is going to be all over that.

:laugh:

The problem is, and we have discussed this ad nauseum, teams that have big physical guys that can play the game, aren’t in a big rush to trade them to you.

Who could the B’s have added this offseason?

Reaves? He’s not a Top 9, even though he got paid like one.

Maroon? No thank you. He’s slow and has injury questions.

A guy I would have loved to have seen the B’s add would be Adam Lowry. Big, physical, good player, would have solved the 3rd line C position. It’s too bad he just signed with WPG for 3 years at $2.9m per (which was an overpayment).

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’m sure Gorton is going to be all over that.

:laugh:

The problem is, and we have discussed this ad nauseum, teams that have big physical guys that can play the game, aren’t in a big rush to trade them to you.

Who could the B’s have added this offseason?

Reaves? He’s not a Top 9, even though he got paid like one.

Maroon? No thank you. He’s slow and has injury questions.

A guy I would have loved to have seen the B’s add would be Adam Lowry. Big, physical, good player, would have solved the 3rd line C position. It’s too bad he just signed with WPG for 3 years at $2.9m per (which was an overpayment).
I would have taken Maroon for the 3rd line spot at the contract he has right now easily. Good team guy, can chip in, physical.

I love the whole "He's slow" thing, there are plenty of guys who aren't McDavid fast that are effective, you know?

He's tough
He's physical
He can shoot
He can produce
He goes to the dirty areas
He's a good team guy

"BUT IS HE FAST!?!?!"

Anyway, this probably isn't the right thread for this.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would have taken Maroon for the 3rd line spot at the contract he has right now easily. Good team guy, can chip in, physical.

I love the whole "He's slow" thing, there are plenty of guys who aren't McDavid fast that are effective, you know?

He's tough
He's physical
He can shoot
He can produce
He goes to the dirty areas
He's a good team guy

"BUT IS HE FAST!?!?!"

Anyway, this probably isn't the right thread for this.

You forgot HE HAS INJURY QUESTIONS!

There was a reason Maroon signed for $1.75m for one year. The B’s have plenty of better, younger options for the 3rd line and he’s not a Top 6 player.

Pass.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You forgot HE HAS INJURY QUESTIONS!

There was a reason Maroon signed for $1.75m for one year. The B’s have plenty of better, younger options for the 3rd line and he’s not a Top 6 player.

Pass.
I'd take Maroon at $1.75M and have him hover in the lineup than Nordstrom. Nordstrom must be fast, though.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’m sure he’s faster than Maroon, but that’s not why they signed him.

Can Maroon kill penalties?...

But who needs 4th liners that can PK?

Am I rite?
Who needs a guy in the top 9 over 200 pounds? Because the Bruins sure didn't get bodied by the god damn Lightning. Adding Wagner was a step in the right direction, but I still would like to see someone in the top 9 capable of playing a heavy game other than Backes (and even then, he is fading)

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Last edited:

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
How about play all the kids haha

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Debrusk-Krejci-Cehlarik
Heinen-JFK-Pastrnak
Donato-Frederic-Backes

In all seriousness it’s really hard to pick one. I think all 4 of Heinen, Cehlarik, Bjork and Donato are good enough to play in a top 9 role in the NHL I just don’t know how they all fit on our team. I would think there has to be a package trade for a high level talent at some point or we really go with 4 legit lines

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Who needs a guy in the top 9 over 200 pounds? Because the Bruins sure didn't get bodied by the god damn Lightning. Adding Wagner was a step in the right direction, but I still would like to see someone in the top 9 capable of playing a heavy game other than Backes (and even then, he is fading)

The Bruins got bodied by TB because Tampa wanted it more, plain and simple. I’m not going to post it again, but I went down the F lineup of Tampa and Boston in the playoffs and the Bruin’s Bottom 6 was bigger than TB’s. Size had nothing to do with them losing those puck battles.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Bruins got bodied by TB because Tampa wanted it more, plain and simple. I’m not going to post it again, but I went down the F lineup of Tampa and Boston in the playoffs and the Bruin’s Bottom 6 was bigger than TB’s. Size had nothing to do with them losing those puck battles.
I would say it had a little something to do with it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Games 1 and 2 against Toronto is proof the Bruins can play a heavy game. They didn't play that way for the rest of the playoffs for whatever reason.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I would say it had a little something to do with it.

They were out skated as well

Bingo.

The game isn't won based on heights and weights.

Tampa were simply drastically faster, and skated harder, and were more willing, to pressure Boston puck-carriers and impose their will on the opposing team.

Because on paper, the Bruins had the "heavier" Bottom 6.

But it takes more than that.

The Bruins added on of the league's most consistent and best hitters in Wagner. A guy who can hit and skate.

They also added Nordstrom, who has decent size and is no wall-flower, and can also skate.

Now the projected Top 9 isn't perfectly balanced between skill, speed, and physicality. OK.

Doesn't mean they can't win playoff games.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I think Bjork spends a decent amount of this year in the AHL, he'll get some time on the big club and next year it will be between him and Senyshun hopefully with Backes perhaps a 4th liner, traded or bought out (I just don't see room on this team for him and he isn't making himself essential).

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Games 1 and 2 against Toronto is proof the Bruins can play a heavy game. They didn't play that way for the rest of the playoffs for whatever reason.
I know this isn’t the right place for this but c’mon now. The Leafs might be the only team in the league with a forward group softer than Boston’s.

There’s a good chance you could play the Leafs without pads on some nights. They aren’t physical at all.

If the Bruins had of been run out of their own building by that squad it would have been pitiful.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

Forwards play against D

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bingo.

The game isn't won based on heights and weights.

Tampa were simply drastically faster, and skated harder, and were more willing, to pressure Boston puck-carriers and impose their will on the opposing team.

Because on paper, the Bruins had the "heavier" Bottom 6.

But it takes more than that.

The Bruins added on of the league's most consistent and best hitters in Wagner. A guy who can hit and skate.

They also added Nordstrom, who has decent size and is no wall-flower, and can also skate.

Now the projected Top 9 isn't perfectly balanced between skill, speed, and physicality. OK.

Doesn't mean they can't win playoff games.
Never said this. They'll win a round, but then get a huge reality check. They're not built for a deep run.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Think they all make it in, but Bjork is the likeliest chance to start in the ahl after his injury. Next would be Donato if he flops out of the gate, which could happen he’s very young still

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Never said this. They'll win a round, but then get a huge reality check. They're not built for a deep run.

Would an additional physical forward who can skate and play in the Top 9 be nice to add? Sure it would.

But I don't think swapping out say 1 of Donato/Bjork/Heinen (I am assuming that's 3 of your 4 wings for lines 2 and 3) for a more physical player is going to make or break their chances either.

Comes down to how hard they want to skate and impose their will on their opponent.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Would an additional physical forward who can skate and play in the Top 9 be nice to add? Sure it would.

But I don't think swapping out say 1 of Donato/Bjork/Heinen (I am assuming that's 3 of your 4 wings for lines 2 and 3) for a more physical player is going to make or break their chances either.

Comes down to how hard they want to skate and impose their will on their opponent.
Which, with the group we have... hasn’t happened. I understand that they had some playoff rookies this year but they completely folded and got bullied by Tampa and barely hung on against the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad