Line Combos: Odd man out? Heinen, Bjork, Donato...

Who doesn't fit in top 9?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins have a spot at top 6 RW, at 3LW, and 3C up for grabs. Everything has pointed to the Bruins preferring Heinen and Donato at wing.

If that preference and the current roster remain (and Backes does not slide over), it means that one of Heinen, Bjork or Donato does not have a slot in the top 9.

Which one is the odd man out?

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ya probably Bjork.
I keep expecting to see him traded in a package for something daily.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This really seems like a better question posed during TC/PS because we don't really know if Donato is viewed as a winger only yet. I swear Sweeney threw Donato's name in the mix as a player who will get looks at center in camp. To answer the question, I guess I go with Bjork for now with the fact he's going to be coming back from injury.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'm hoping Donato, barring a trade, can snag that third line center slot. Given his impressive showing late in the season, albeit sss, he has experience at the position in ECAC and Olympics.

That would free up the logjam and allow Bjork and Heinen to secure top nine wing vacancies.

Don't count Cehlarik out of the competition.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think LW will be Marchand - Debrusk - Donato - 4th line type (Nordstrom).

I think Heinen has the edge due to his experience last year over Bjork on a RW job on one of the top 3 lines.

Making Bjork the odd man out.

I wish they'd just move Backes to the middle and play all 3 but that's beating a dead horse. Same as wanting to have a spot on the 4th line with Kuraly and Wagner for one of them, Cassidy seems set on his vision of a traditional 4th line.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
I think Donato will be the one out to start. Bjork looked really good the first half of last season. Although Donato has all the skills I think he will need more time to get adjusted to the NHL game.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Cehlarik wins 2nd line RW
Heinen wins 3rd LW
Donato and Bjork to Providence
Start there and adjust as needed

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Donato will be the one out to start. Bjork looked really good the first half of last season. Although Donato has all the skills I think he will need more time to get adjusted to the NHL game.

Fact is, Donato in the regular season scored goals at a rate that would give him 35 for an entire season. And this wasn't during October when things are wide open, he did this during the March/April stretch drive when things are tighter and scoring is down.

Not saying if he plays he's guaranteed to pop 30. But I'd be shocked based on his performance if he's the odd man out.

I'd put a lot more stock on Donato's performance in March/April than I would Bjork's in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: HustleB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not to be a smartass but who wouldn't want to trade a player for an upgrade?

Bjork has little trade value right now.

Really?

Because a year ago he was essentially considered this organizations top forward prospect.

Not saying he'd get massive value in a a 1-for-1 swap, but as part of a package he would have a fair amount of value as one of 2 or 3 pieces.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Really?

Because a year ago he was essentially considered this organizations top forward prospect.

Not saying he'd get massive value in a a 1-for-1 swap, but as part of a package he would have a fair amount of value as one of 2 or 3 pieces.

What I mean is that he has much less trade value due to him barely playing last year. Trading him now would get us less than if he got a chance on the team and proved himself or if he lit it up in the AHL which I think he's capable of doing.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What I mean is that he has much less trade value due to him barely playing last year. Trading him now would get us less than if he got a chance on the team and proved himself or if he lit it up in the AHL which I think he's capable of doing.

Very true.

Reactions: Mpasta

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I hope none, I'd like to see all 3 on the roster but doubt it happens. But if I had to choose one it would be Bjork because of the shoulder injury so I voted him.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Donato-Backes
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner/Acciari

Cehlarik/JFK/Frederic are dark horses.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I hope none, I'd like to see all 3 on the roster but doubt it happens. But if I had to choose one it would be Bjork because of the shoulder injury so I voted him.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Donato-Backes
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner/Acciari

Cehlarik/JFK/Frederic are dark horses.

I was just about to ask where the option was for none of the above, Your top nine is what I expect to see at the start of the season (but either Heinen or Backes would center the third line).

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
None. They all play.

Marchand-Bergeron -Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-Backes-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Acciari

This seems close to what most people want including me but it's been proven that the Bruins don't want Backes at center. It seems it would fix some lineup issues but obviously there's a reason why they haven't done it.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This seems close to what most people want including me but it's been proven that the Bruins don't want Backes at center. It seems it would fix some lineup issues but obviously there's a reason why they haven't done it.

While maybe it's not Backes, if Donato gets a look at center and impresses, it could be:

Bjork -- Donato -- Backes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->