Line Combos: Odd man out? Heinen, Bjork, Donato...

Who doesn't fit in top 9?

• Total voters

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I would like to see all 3 in the lineup and Cehlarik . I am not going to hold my breathe in regards to Sweeney acquiring a top 6 forward so let all 3 get some seasoning and hope by the time the playoffs roll around the Bruins will have more secondary scoring .

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Obviously, a bit late to the party here. Lots of unknowns at this point.
Still potential for trades.
Need to watch chemistry unfold.
All of them have the talent in my mind; Cehlarik, too.
Heinen the only guarantee. Don’t see how he’s not on the team unless traded. Arguably a top five forward for us right now, and Im a Debrusk fanboy.
Other questions surrounding 3c, EON and BruinsDust hit on that point well.
If I’m betting, I say Donato gets the nod over Bjork or Cehlarik. His health is a more known entity at this point.
Lots of good young players right on the edge.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Which, with the group we have... hasn’t happened. I understand that they had some playoff rookies this year but they completely folded and got bullied by Tampa and barely hung on against the Leafs.

If not for a couple of miraculous performances by Andersen, the Bruins throttle the Leafs. And that's with just average performance out of Rask. Imagine if he had played well.

Honestly you putting a bit too much stock in the TB series. Can't base a whole bunch of personnel moves around such a small sample.

They addressed their speed and physicality with Wagner and Nordstrom. I'm not against adding another physical player who can skate and play, but I'm not writing off their cup hopes if they don't acquire that guy.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Several random thoughts that may or may not conflict...

I'd consider it a major fail on the Bruins part if Bjork or Donato end up sitting so that Backes doesn't have to play center.

I think Frederic is going to win the 3c spot at camp.

I feel like one of Krejci/Backes has to be dealt to accommodate A and B.

Last year the wingers who played in the top9 for Boston lost about 103 games to injury. At first glance, that would suggest that an extra top9 forward (the odd man out) would still get in 80 games. BUT, then I realized that some of those injuries overlapped, so now I'm not as confident. Still, those number don't include Rick Nash so I'd think there would be lots of opportunities to play. Maybe not 100+ but certainly ~50.

Reactions: Smitty93

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
One of them (Bjork) should be on the 4th line to inject some skill in there. I feel like Bruins 4th line got mugged by both Toronto and Tampa Bay and instead of looking to match their skill the front office are doubling down on grit on that line.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think they can all play top 9 but it would be easier if a couple of them were right hand shots... but the best way to figure it out is to figure out what the other guys are doing

if my hunch is correct... this will be the year pastrnak is put with kreci in an attempt to recreate a 2 line attack. its that or he plays with marchand an its Bergeron moved. makes a bit more sense to move pastrnak

so pastrnak/krecji/debrusk seems to make a lot of sense... lets put them together on what will become the new 'offense first line'

leaves marchand/Bergeron looking for a new rw… lets assume backes doesn't get a chance here even though he was hurt last time he got a look here and maybe deserves another chance. we saw last year Bjork played here and did pretty good before he hit his wall. I think he will get a chance at camp to win his spot back again.

leaves Heinen/donato battling for time on the 3rd line. im going to say backes will be a fixture on the 3rd line and that brings to question who will play center? donato of course played some center in college... a lot of us think Heinen can play center. and most of us don't know why backes doesn't play center. to me... the answer comes from within these 3 guys. they might all get a try at center... hopefully someone steps up and takes the job.

I see Bergeron/marchand getting the top checking job... so the third line can get by with a weak defensive player like donato. it wont hurt that much

wagner/kuraly/Nordstrom/accari are all 4th liners... don't see room for any of them to step into the top 9... im pulling for fitzgereld to make the team if any other kid does... but hes also a 4th liner.

so I say unless we are importing someone from outside all these kids end up in top 9

we had a very good top 9 last year but it appears to me its going to be even better this year. and if luck goes against us and we do need to add someone... rick nash is just waiting on the outside ready to join the team before playoffs

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Several random thoughts that may or may not conflict...

I'd consider it a major fail on the Bruins part if Bjork or Donato end up sitting so that Backes doesn't have to play center.

I think Frederic is going to win the 3c spot at camp.

I feel like one of Krejci/Backes has to be dealt to accommodate A and B.

Last year the wingers who played in the top9 for Boston lost about 103 games to injury. At first glance, that would suggest that an extra top9 forward (the odd man out) would still get in 80 games. BUT, then I realized that some of those injuries overlapped, so now I'm not as confident. Still, those number don't include Rick Nash so I'd think there would be lots of opportunities to play. Maybe not 100+ but certainly ~50.
I certainly hope our 13th forward does not get 80 games. I don't think these guys play on the 4th. 80 games seems about ~40 high.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Cehlarik wins 2nd line RW
Heinen wins 3rd LW
Donato and Bjork to Providence
Start there and adjust as needed
I just don't see Cehlarik beating one of the aforementioned players out, let alone two.

Bjork probably starts off in AHL, if only just to give him consistent top 6 time and pp1, and have him get used to game speed again

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not to be a smartass but who wouldn't want to trade a player for an upgrade?

Bjork has little trade value right now.

I don`t think he`d garner a first round pick but you don`t think a young kid who showed some really nice things at the pro level (still has work to do), put some pts up, plays with speed, smarts and skill has little value? There are many here who have a love affair with Cehlarik who, IMO, has far less value that Bjork yet many ready to push his name into the top 6 for a spot.

Now, can Cehlarik grab that top 6 spot? Sure, wouldn`t shock me but I`ve not seen nearly enough from him to make me feel he`s the guy who`ll do it. Until he shows he can stay healthy, not sure he won`t start the year in Providence

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd like to see them all in the top 9.

It will never happen, but I'd like something like this.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Donato-Heinen-Backes

Bjork showed he was capable of being the 3rd wheel with Marchand and Bergeron at the beginning of the season last year.

Putting Pastrnak on the 2nd should should spread out the offense and prevent the whole "1 line team" issue.

Heinen has experience at center in college, though he hasn't played there at all at the professional level, so I assume the Bruins don't think he can handle it. He doesn't have a lot of face-off experience, but you could have Backes take the majority of them and then switch.

A lot of line-up problems would be solved if Backes could be your 3C. Alas, that's not going to happen.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It’s a nice problem to have. Hopefully all do well. Still would
Love to have Panarin in the mix. Any chance we see a heinen Bjork or Donato play 3rd Center?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Bjork till we see how healthy he is come training camp.

Heinen is a lock and Donato is healthy and IMO has a slightly higher upside. Mostly due to his goal scoring ability.

Also, if Donato improves as a center that'a a complete game changer.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It’s a nice problem to have. Hopefully all do well. Still would
Love to have Panarin in the mix. Any chance we see a heinen Bjork or Donato play 3rd Center?

I’d say Bjork isn’t definitely considered a center anymore. I think Donato has a chance to get a look theee and while I think heinen does fit what you look for in a center, he’s played mostly wing since turning pro. I wouldn’t mind either getting a legit look there though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t vote because all will be playing and have superb NHL careers

I’ve got a much better feel for Heinen and Bjork.

Donato though impressed me with his play without the puck both individually and more importantly team.

When Boston has control he knows where to go and what to do.

When the opponent had control he exhibited an excellent stick and his coverage and positioning was good - his being raised by an NHL dad and coach had him not lost or as overwhelmed as most kids in his position.

They are all exciting prospects

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I didn’t vote because all will be playing and have superb NHL careers

I’ve got a much better feel for Heinen and Bjork.

Donato though impressed me with his play without the puck both individually and more importantly team.

When Boston has control he knows where to go and what to do.

When the opponent had control he exhibited an excellent stick and his coverage and positioning was good - his being raised by an NHL dad and coach had him not lost or as overwhelmed as most kids in his position.

They are all exciting prospects
Agree whole heartedly. People seem to forget until he had his bell rung, Bjork was Bostons best young forward and in fact beat out Heinen out of the gate. I fully expect Bjork to come back with avengence. All 3 will be in the top 9 barring a trade.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Poll is missing 'Other'.

As of right now, I'd see this lineup.

Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork
DeBrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak
Donato - JFK - Heinen
Nordstrom - Kualy - Backes
Wagner
(bottom 2 lines could switch naming/minutes of 3rd or 4th line)

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Moore - Miller
Grzelcyk
McQuaid

Rask
Halak

Reactions: Estlin

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Bjork recovering will most likely needs time ..

I do believe he’s a top 9 easy tho, he’d really need to choke out before I’d write this kid off.

Heinen why is he even in here idk ? sophomore slump maybe ? Doubt it.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
MAR/BER/BJO
DeB/KRE/PAS
DON/BAC/CEH
HEI/NOR/WAG
FRE/ACC/FOR
CHA/McA
KRU/MIL
GRZ/CAR
MOO/McQ
RAS/HAL/McI

is a way that a lot of "how"s are worked at once. that is a crazy deep team with SZW and FIT and STU and SEN, ZBO and LAU, VLA....so much depth....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are a 105+ legit threat to go all the way with health

If I ha 3 Bruins wishes personnel related only

One would be a significant positive development of the 3 top center prospects: Frederic, JFK, and Studnicka

Legit future top 9 quality centers with at least two consistent 60+ Point performers but all 3 with good health and fortune

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
MAR/BER/BJO
DeB/KRE/PAS
DON/BAC/CEH
HEI/NOR/WAG
FRE/ACC/FOR
CHA/McA
KRU/MIL
GRZ/CAR
MOO/McQ
RAS/HAL/McI

is a way that a lot of "how"s are worked at once. that is a crazy deep team with SZW and FIT and STU and SEN, ZBO and LAU, VLA....so much depth....

After deciphering this one, why is Heinen on the 4th line after a 47 point rookie season? Also where is Kuraly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->