Post-Game Talk: Octoberfest: Neal puts the Tipp in in Amsterdam

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think that's what he means. Drai is more than half the player McDavid is so he wouldn't settle for half the money. You are both in agreement, though it wasn't worded very well by guymez.

I think you need to re-read my post. You actually agree with me. :nod:

My bad, the phrasing was odd to me, so I had to say something to make sure. Re-reading the post, I see it now with the different frame of mind. :thumbu:

Reactions: guymez

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Neal has scored every Oiler goal he's been on the ice for.

And he also feels that he is appreciated for what he is. Its looking good.
The team is start to setting itself, exciting with the trust to P Russell.
Cave is out, I can promise that. Soon Granlund is being replaced by Archibald, if he doesnt grow ( Ithnk he could though). I think the only sour apple, but everything else on the team is good, so why think of that!, is Chiasson. Well se on that one.

And if Koskinen plays good, maybe he is trade-able. There is cheaper goalies then that.
What on earth was Chiarelli thinking on that one. It really feels like there was a russian mafia thing going on in the background; promises, money, verbal agreements, secret deals... I feel something was murky.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think there's a LOT of NHL teams that would take Draisaitl and his $8.5 million salary for the next 6 years.

Obviously, his contract doesn't have to be the cheapest and best contract in the NHL to be a good contract.

Are we just looking for imaginary issues to talk about when things are going well for the team and we collectively don't have a lot of actual legitimate things to complain about?

100% of teams would take that player/contract today. Teams without space would make space at whatevet cost.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm rooting for the punk (yeah, that sentence is loaded). Hopefully he can get us a nice asset somewhere in the season.
yah me as well. But I'm not missing him at all right now. I'm not even sure Jesse would be a regular in our lineup every night this year.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Some of the comments about Lucic strike me as unfair.

I think it shows great self awareness and even a team first mentality that he keeps taking all these penalties.
It looks like he knows exactly where he is the most useful to the Flames, and it's not on the ice.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am the last person to defend Chia but if you remember there were 2 major contracts that needed to be addressed that year...McDavid and Draisaitl.
McDavid was obviously signed first and then Leon. So once McDavid signed his contract at $12.5M there was no way the Oilers were going to be able to sign Leon for $6.5M.
McKinnons contract doesnt even enter into the discussion because Connors contract just set the bar and Leon isnt half the player that Connor is.

I'm talking about signing him the year before when all those other guys were signed, after his second season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I am the last person to defend Chia but if you remember there were 2 major contracts that needed to be addressed that year...McDavid and Draisaitl.
McDavid was obviously signed first and then Leon. So once McDavid signed his contract at $12.5M there was no way the Oilers were going to be able to sign Leon for $6.5M.
McKinnons contract doesnt even enter into the discussion because Connors contract just set the bar and Leon isnt half the player that Connor is.
To add to this, it’s pretty obvious Draisatl’s camp had figured this out too and he had no interest in signing before McDavid did. He could have signed an extension a full year sooner if he wanted to (which is what most players coming off entry contracts were doing back then) but apparently wasn’t even interested in negotiating. There is a lot to blame Chiarelli for but Draisatl’s contract isn’t one of them. It takes two willing sides to make a deal and there certainly weren’t two of them a year earlier.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm talking about signing him the year before when all those other guys were signed, after his second season.

Hindsight is always perfect though. It would have been a great idea with the benefit if hindsight.
That said perhaps the Draisaitl camp wanted to wait. Why wouldnt they when they knew McDavids contract was going to set the bar.
I think you would agree that it worked out great for the team anyway. :nod:

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To add to this, it’s pretty obvious Draisatl’s camp had figured this out too and he had no interest in signing before McDavid did. He could have signed an extension a full year sooner if he wanted to (which is what most players coming off entry contracts were doing back then) but apparently wasn’t even interested in negotiating. There is a lot to blame Chiarelli for but Draisatl’s contract isn’t one of them. It takes two willing sides to make a deal and there certainly weren’t two of them a year earlier.

I couldnt agree more. :nod:

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
During Drais contract season he was a long time regarded as a 4-5m player (he was not as complete as he is now back then). Then he had a decent point streak during the end of the regular season and people were expecting a 6m AAV contract. In the playoffs he had this great run and hfboards was kinda expecting he would now get a 7m contract, but were also scared it would be as high as 7.5m. I still remember all the posts during his 5point game that these points will cost us a lot of AAV money.

As we all know now, he signed for 8.5m AAV.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Listening to lowetide and he reminded me about this hit
It wasnt already posted was it?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Listening to lowetide and he reminded me about this hit
It wasnt already posted was it?

Nurse is exhibiting a habit of targeting the opposition tough and going right at them sending them into next week. Komarov takes a look around, figures it Nurse, and figures he isn't doing a thing about it directly to Nurse. Then we score on the PP that Nurse provided us on the retaliation.

if this was Calgary Nurse would be a savior by now and Norris worthy.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Nurse is exhibiting a habit of targeting the opposition tough and going right at them sending them into next week. Komarov takes a look around, figures it Nurse, and figures he isn't doing a thing about it directly to Nurse. Didn't we score on the PP that Nurse provided us on the retalliation?
that's what the tweet says :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad