Post-Game Talk: Octoberfest: Neal puts the Tipp in in Amsterdam

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That’s the downside of paying two guys as much as Crosby and Malkin make. If either have down years, or worse, one gets hurt that lack of depth destroys their season. We’ll start seeing this more and more with lots of teams due to the way fewer players are taking up a higher percentage of the cap.
They don't exactly pay those guys much.

They just don't have many smart contracts after their top 4 or 5 guys;

Hornqvist at 5.3mil
Tanev 3.5mil
Galchenyuk at 5.3mil
Johnson at 3.25mil
Bjustad 4.1mil
Gudbransson 5mil
Schultz 5.5mil
Dumolin 4.1mil

Granted some of these guys could be worth their contracts this year or close to it, but that's still a lot of money locked up with no steals on the contract side of things

Reactions: Aerrol

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Malkin and Crosby actually make less than McDavid and Draisaitl (18.2M vs 21M), although both are older. Crosby's is one of the best contracts in the league. Draisaitl's too for that matter, if he continues to play like he has last year and so far this year.

McDavid is also one of, if not the best contracts in the league.

No player even comes close to his abilities.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This is what I started to allude to last night. I expected Lucic to be at his best at the start of the season because he’s going into a new situation with a fresh start and will want to prove something. He is though, a guy who gets down on himself when things aren’t going well. It was always going to be difficult for him to maintain anything positive for long simply because he can’t play at an NHL level consistently anymore. What I’m curious about is if Neal’s hot start puts even more pressure on Lucic by Lucic himself and that downward spiral starts even faster.

I can see this happening, however I think Lucic main issues are going to start when that team hits a rough patch, and people start questioning what he's doing out there.

"He's not scoring, he can't be trusted defensively, and he's not providing a spark as he's too slow to make a hit that matters, why is he playing? Even Neal didn't look this bad."

I look forward to hearing that last sentence particularly.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Good lord.....makes my head hurt reading that.

The only thing I'll say in support of Calgary's take, is that they are at least getting the better version of bad Lucic. He is being physical, which you could barely argue in many of the games here the last two years. He'd have a game or two where he'd crush someone, but then disappear for multiple games with virtual no-hitters. Hell, he even fought somebody on the Kings. That never happened in Edmonton no matter how many cheap shots they threw at Connor.

However, I'd much rather a guy contribute to scoring with where the Oilers as a team currently are.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Neal, who is not always known as a solid D performer gets a bit more licence playing with Nuge and Jurco as I see it. But I could see Nuge being able to jump up more as well. With how good our short pass transition game is going its some fun time for all.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how good the Nuge line was on the cycle. my lord, it was like seeing 3 Sedins out there. They were giving the Islanders fits. This is exactly the kind of thing Lucic or PUlju couldn't do there. They sucked at taking or receiving a pass and were what I call "coolers" on any line they were on.

It really feels good to have some players with good attitude coming in here and liking being here.

Of course winning is always more enjoyable.

We all win. This team is a pleasure to watch now.

Agreed. Obviously Neal being the weakest defensive player on that line means he gets the greatest benefit from two solid defensive linemates, but also Nuge has had to deal with far worse defensive linemates than Neal (i.e. Lucic) and without a Jurco on his line in the past, so overall I'd say he'll be better off in that regard as well.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That’s the downside of paying two guys as much as Crosby and Malkin make. If either have down years, or worse, one gets hurt that lack of depth destroys their season. We’ll start seeing this more and more with lots of teams due to the way fewer players are taking up a higher percentage of the cap.

Nah, that's the downside of deciding your team needs Jack Johnson at 3.25x5 years and Erik Gudbranson for Tanner Pearson cause...grit? The Penguins have had to deal with the cap issues for years - Rutherford just got driven insane by the loss to Wilson and the Caps and decided to ditch the formula that won them back to back cups.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

McDavid got close to a market value on his contract. It's not a bargain contract, but you have to pay the generational talent.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only thing I'll say in support of Calgary's take, is that they are at least getting the better version of bad Lucic. He is being physical, which you could barely argue in many of the games here the last two years. He'd have a game or two where he'd crush someone, but then disappear for multiple games with virtual no-hitters. Hell, he even fought somebody on the Kings. That never happened in Edmonton no matter how many cheap shots they threw at Connor.

However, I'd much rather a guy contribute to scoring with where the Oilers as a team currently are.
Lurch did lead the Oilers in hits last season and lots of good hits in the mix so he was doing that.
But not many fights. He had two all of last season, just two.

He's had 2 fights in 3 GP with the Flames so far.

Pretty sure he owes Katz some money.

There was always something wrong with Lucic here and part of it is the team had Maroon, Kass, Nurse already. Guys that could already perform the role and that had some talent. Lucic was always redundant here. An interesting thing is that Maroon and Kass were tight here and both were often part of the good times and you could tell when they were happy. Never really got that impression from Lucic or that he was connected with those guys. Lucic for years has been one of the biggest jokes in the league. A player that has had so many classless moments that teams just consider himself a tough clown. I think about how hard it could be to never think about that if you're a team mate of his. Some guys just aren't well liked. Some of the players here said the right things but I wonder what they really felt.

For instance we've seen Draisaitl praise Kassians play at length 3 times already this season. Stating that Kass is way more talented to play with than people think, that he's fun to play with and the guy makes lots of plays. Someone find a clip where Drai is doing this regarding Lucic.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Results in October are whatever. This is the loosest hockey in the world and any team can win any game based on nothing but energy level.

But what really encourages me for this year is how fast they're playing, how they're moving pucks and how we're looking at a roster that has a couple NHL players out and wondering how to fit them back in. They had 79 points with the worst bottom six, no second line, near league worst goaltending and the worst PK. Why couldn't they score get 90+ with a decent bottom six, something that resembles a 2line, slightly better goaltending and an average or better PK?

It's probably in range.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The MacKinnon contract is far better. The McDavid contract is good of course but the MacKinnon contract is an absurd discount, undoubtedly the best contract in the league IMO. He's worth more than twice that much.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One of the more surreal aspects regarding Lucic that I had a lot of trouble with is that I always HATED Lucic. Always felt like he was a clown. Could never warm to the guy and for sure never wanted him. I mean if anybody asked me he was the one of the top douches in the league and probably most famous one.

Kind of tore at me that the org that was historically known for the best hockey ever played had this Milan clown. Never embraced it and it caused me a lot of conflict on this board.

But the extent to which Lucic was being propped up as if he was a shape defining future of the Oilers was totally bizarre. People and the org talked him up as some sort of hyper intangible kind of player. The extent is people even saying Lucic was key in the Bruins SC success. Oilers marketed him in front of the new arena in articles more than anybody. It kind of aggravated me.

As much as I'm loving to laugh about how Calgary is hyping up Lucic now I'm laughing louder than everybody because I've always felt the player is a doorknob, on the way down, and way overrated.

I still despise that we had Lucic here but Neal is one fine tonic for what ails that...

Now THIS is a player deserving of hype. Finally we have a reasonable goal scorer here and we traded him for Lucic. Still pinching myself. Don't tell me this is a dream.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
McDavid got close to a market value on his contract. It's not a bargain contract, but you have to pay the generational talent.
Totally disagree.

I guess if you consider players like Matthews to be close to his abilities...then he is market value.

That would be ridiculous of course. Hence his great value contract.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The MacKinnon contract is far better. The McDavid contract is good of course but the MacKinnon contract is an absurd discount, undoubtedly the best contract in the league IMO. He's worth more than twice that much.

Ya, the MacKinnon contract is the only one comparable. That was just plain lucky though. He signed a fair value contract at the time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Eric Francis: lucic is doing what true veterans and leaders do, save themselves for the playoffs for the real prize.

Pretty sure that by Game 40 when the Flames are in a 5 team dogfight for one of the 3 playoff spots in the Pacific and Lucic has 2 goals and 5 assists and a dozen stupid penalties the Flames have beens scored on, that Francis is going to re-open this point of view and wonder when Lucic is going to start to contribute so the Flames can make the playoffs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ya, the MacKinnon contract is the only one comparable. That was just plain lucky though. He signed a fair value contract at the time.

No doubt. As lucky as we are with the Draisaitl contract, I can't help but to think that Chia missed out on a big opportunity to get him locked up for a huge discount when all of MacKinnon, Barkov, Schiefele, Monahan and Gaudreau were signing their $6-6.5M long term deals.
People give him credit for the Drai contract but I think he screwed that one up too.

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he's having fun finally having a team that can score 3 or more goals in a game. I imagine years of fighting for 2-1 victories was taxing on the enjoyment of the game.
Which is kind of funny. The guys against Tippett were adamant that Tippett would suck the life out of our skilled players.

Yet many of us were saying that he only coached like that in Arizona because of the personnel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad