Post-Game Talk: Octoberfest: Neal puts the Tipp in in Amsterdam

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hindsight is always perfect though. It would have been a great idea with the benefit if hindsight.
That said perhaps the Draisaitl camp wanted to wait. Why wouldnt they when they knew McDavids contract was going to set the bar.
I think you would agree that it worked out great for the team anyway. :nod:

Of course, but hindsight is what we do best around here. ;)
Besides, there's nothing else to complain about so I figured I would throw the "could have signed Drai for cheaper if they had signed him long term after his 2nd season" bait out there to see who would bite. Everybody is getting along and it's freaking me out man.

Reactions: guymez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse isn't getting anywhere near the props he deserves this season so far. Guy has been a beast.

Hoping that Nurse - Bear pairing stays together. Got something nice developing there.

Yeah but he doesn't lead the league in penalty minutes so he can't be doing that good.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
@Drivesaitl thoughts on Khaira last night? ;)

(my bad if you've already posted on the subject, too lazy to read through the entire thread)

Sorry I didn't see this reply.

Khaira played his best game in I would say two seasons. This being the product of Holland, and Khaira feeling pushed by depth that can play.

Look at whats happening. Cave already out, Chiasson already feeling worried about the timing of his illness occurring at a bad time. Most of the players are feeling a lot of pressure to perform, and that's a good thing.

Just my theory that Khaira falls back when he thinks he can. I thought he played desperate last game, and has to.

I had already mentioned Khaira having a good determined game. The line under Sheahan's guidance worked the puck hard downlow a lot.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Remains to be seen how they perform over the long-term, but Holland seems to have done a much better job than Chiarelli finding cheap depth players that can contribute. Jurco, Sheahan, Nygard, Haas have been doing their job. Neal has looked like a legitimate top 6 forward.
It's refreshing to see the Oilers actually improving through trade. I don't remember when was the last time the Oilers did it under Lowe, Tambellini, MacTavish and Chiarelli. Maybe when Lowe was wheeling and dealing at the 2006 trade deadline. Seems like every trade ever since has either been a meh or clear loss of assets. Somebody should do the list of all trades in the past 13 years.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Remains to be seen how they perform over the long-term, but Holland seems to have done a much better job than Chiarelli finding cheap depth players that can contribute. Jurco, Sheahan, Nygard, Haas have been doing their job. Neal has looked like a legitimate top 6 forward.
It's refreshing to see the Oilers actually improving through trade. I don't remember when was the last time the Oilers did it under Lowe, Tambellini, MacTavish and Chiarelli. Maybe when Lowe was wheeling and dealing at the 2006 trade deadline. Seems like every trade ever since has either been a meh or clear loss of assets. Somebody should do the list of all trades in the past 13 years.

Not a full list but off the top of my head the trade for and trade to move Perron were both good, trade for Maroon (trade time love him was so so, getting Marody with that asset being not bad), and Kassian for Scrivens a big win (obviously nobody knew how it would go but I liked it from the start). Feel like there are one or two more maybe.

This trade does have the potential of being the best since Lowe in 2006.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Sorry I didn't see this reply.

Khaira played his best game in I would say two seasons. This being the product of Holland, and Khaira feeling pushed by depth that can play.

Look at whats happening. Cave already out, Chiasson already feeling worried about the timing of his illness occurring at a bad time. Most of the players are feeling a lot of pressure to perform, and that's a good thing.

Just my theory that Khaira falls back when he thinks he can. I thought he played desperate last game, and has to.

I had already mentioned Khaira having a good determined game. The line under Sheahan's guidance worked the puck hard downlow a lot.
i think the gap between cave and Sheahan is probably larger than the gap between Sheahan and RNH

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
What are you confused about?

Whether you're significantly over rating Sheahan or under rating Nuge.

Nuge, as a pass first playmaker, literally has nearly the same number of goals as Sheahan has points since 11-12 and Sheahan is two development years older.

Nothing against Sheahan. Just the difference between those two is astronomical. Sheahan is an average 3rd line center. Nuge is an average 1st line center. Cave is a below average 14th forward. I think the distance favors Nuge, but I'd also argue that the difference in skill required to get better results in the nhl is an exponential curve; I'd say Nuge is better than Sheahan by a factor of 15+. Sheahan is maybe 3 to 4 times the player cave is.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Nuge, as a pass first playmaker, literally has nearly the same number of goals as Sheahan has points since 11-12 and Sheahan is two development years older.

Nothing against Sheahan. Just the difference between those two is astronomical. Sheahan is an average 3rd line center. Nuge is an average 1st line center. Cave is a below average 14th forward. I think the distance favors Nuge, but I'd also argue that the difference in skill required to get better results in the nhl is an exponential curve; I'd say Nuge is better than Sheahan by a factor of 15+. Sheahan is maybe 3 to 4 times the player cave is.
I’m not underrating or overrating either Sheahan and RNH, cave is just that bad.

If RNH is a 100, Sheahan is a 50, cave is a -200

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Tyler Seguin is an average 1st line C

RNH is an above average 2nd line C

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm not as big a fan of Sheahan as most... little offense in his game and overrated defensively. I don't think he's really much of an upgrade on Cave.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I think Sheahan is a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade on Cave. HUGE. Cave is a consistent ~20% corsi player. Getting caved in and pounded in more than a adult movie...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Sheahan is a MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade on Cave. HUGE. Cave is a consistent ~20% corsi player. Getting caved in and pounded in more than a adult movie...

Not that corsi is a useful stat because they don't award wins and losses on the scoreboard based on corsi... but have you looked at Sheahan's and Cave's stats last season based on relative corsi stats? If that's your basis for comparison... I don't think Sheahan is very superior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->