Post-Game Talk: October 6, 2013| Flyers 1 at Hurricanes 2

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
do you think the flyers need to recall mcginn or akeson...?

No, neither of those guys will help. The problem is deeper than that.

Edit: But I would take either or both over Newbury and Rosehill.

what a sad offense. one and done for the most part. this team must be last in the league if offensive time possession.
But at least they league in hits :sarcasm:

I can recall like three shifts all game where the offense set up camp and established a deliberate cycle. By deliberate I mean they were passing to each other on purpose, not having the puck happen to be knocked towards someone, which seemed to be the cause of most sustained offense.

The rest of the time it was nothing but blitzkrieging into the zone, setting up a single chance that missed the net, and then the puck either found it's way to someone else so they could try that process again or it was cleared out.

There were two shifts by Couturier's line that looked like a real NHL offense. They were passing, moving to open space, getting the puck to each other. Shots were attempted, I think maybe just one was put on net. The other one I noticed was LeCavalier's line. While normal movement was involved that, like the Cootline's cycling, highly resembled some established pressure, it also accomplished nothing of note.

It strikes me as sad that the instances of lines producing something that sort of looks like real, deliberate pressure both 1) stood out so much as being something different, and 2) numbered 3 instances that caught my eye.

I don't know how an "offensive" team manages to look like they're on their heels while attacking, but damnit they've managed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hell yeah. Superbowl or bust.

So who are the new coach options when Lavi gets fired? Terry Murray? Berube? What's Gordon Bombay doing these days?

I keep asking the question but nobody ever gives me an answer. Everyone is constantly chanting "Fire Lavi" but nobody thinks about what happens after that. We can't just get rid of him without having a replacement ready. If I had to guess, that's probably why he still has a job, Homer and Snider are likely looking into replacements but can't find anyone who they would consider an upgrade.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Also, just wanted to say that the Flyers have thus far ruined my enjoyment of watching hockey. It's depressing watching other teams be successful. :cry:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

So who are the new coach options when Lavi gets fired? Terry Murray? Berube? What's Gordon Bombay doing these days?

My guess is it will be Murray. I would hope they scan the market for someone else & have Murray as a fallback if there's nothing there but I would assume Murray will be their first choice.

I think just a changing of the head coach may serve as a wake up call for those guys in the locker room or at least I hope it does.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

Don't really want Berube, but wouldn't mind if he stayed on and continued to coach the PK. Wouldn't mind Murray as an interim and would potentially be okay with him as the next coach ONLY if there really isn't anyone else out there next off-season, but I doubt that'll be the case.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'll leave the "who's available" discussion to others more well-versed in the coaching prospects out there (which probably isn't many of us) since I really only know of Murray and Berube.

However, does it really matter? A change has to be made, it's clear Laviolette isn't going to work out, and besides all that I ask you the question in return if we can do any worse then we currently are? I mean, I literally can't imagine the team being any worse then it is right now in terms of play. So why not change the coach?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Someone already pointed out that there aren't many good coaches out there right now. I think the plan is simple, we should hire Vlad Ruzicka :laugh:

Also, I was giving Mason a hard time when we traded for him (mainly to be the devil's advocate because everyone was so shiny happy about him) but he has been great so far. Lately, I tend to be much less scared when our goalie has to make a stop, which is weird

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Someone already pointed out that there aren't many good coaches out there right now. I think the plan is simple, we should hire Vlad Ruzicka :laugh:

Also, I was giving Mason a hard time when we traded for him (mainly to be the devil's advocate because everyone was so shiny happy about him) but he has been great so far. Lately, I tend to be much less scared when our goalie has to make a stop, which is weird

I think personally the two best possibilities/fits for this team out there are Houda, the Bruins assistant, and Willie Desjardins from the Texas Stars.

Houda is a hard nosed guys who has been given a decent proportion of credit for how the Bruins have had such success recently. Apparently really defensively responsible but still like offence. He is arguably the assistant with the most chance of being a head coach in the NHL next due to it.

Desjardins just wins... in 9 seasons as a head coach in CHL and AHL has 1 losing season, his first, and has made the playoffs every season as a head coach. It was not like he took over a superstar CHL team in the Medicine hat Tigers either, and he turned them into a team that won two memorial cups after not making the playoffs for 6 years. He has also been an assistant in the NHL before with Dallas. Apparently is one of the most tactically knowledgeable coaches around and great at adjusting, has a track record at developing players. Also after losing out on the Dallas job I imagine he would be available in the Flyers came calling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I keep asking the question but nobody ever gives me an answer. Everyone is constantly chanting "Fire Lavi" but nobody thinks about what happens after that. We can't just get rid of him without having a replacement ready. If I had to guess, that's probably why he still has a job, Homer and Snider are likely looking into replacements but can't find anyone who they would consider an upgrade.

Terry Murray, Willie Desjardins, Jacques Martin, Brent Sutter, Doug Houda.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Offense was pretty much the last thing I thought would be an issue this season. They gotta turn up the juice here!

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Terry Murray, Willie Desjardins, Jacques Martin, Brent Sutter, Doug Houda.

Brent Sutter would be ideal, but when you consider he walked away from the job in New Jersey and he walked away from the Calgary job, I doubt he comes back to the NHL. He's happy at home on the ranch in Red Deer.

Jacques Martin I'd be interested in, but he's not an ideal coach with regards to playoff hockey. His teams in Ottawa faltered plenty of times under his watch. If people are annoyed with Laviolette, they'll grow to loathe Martin.

Doug Houda would be an interesting choice because of the work he's done with Claude Julien in Boston. He's had a good career as a player and as a coach, so I think he might be able to get through to the guys.

Finally, Terry Murray. I'm not sure what to think. He should have never been fired during his first go around in Philadelphia because he called out his team and told the truth - they were gutless. Too bad the Lindros and Desjardins cried when he said it. It was the truth. If Clarke hadn't been so quick to over react, he would have seen that Murray was telling the truth. As well, you can also say that Murray had those teams over achieve. There was no way that they should have gone to the Stanley Cup finals in his final year, especially when you consider they were horrid on defense, the goaltending was sub par and mediocre and they had one line plus one player carry them. Part of me would like to see Murray come back and see what he can do with the forward depth that is here as well as the defense.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Why is Luke Schenn 6th in Dman ice time on the team so far?

Couple of things:

A) As per LegionOfDoom91, our coach is a moron and
B) Schenn has made some mistakes in all three games. As you're well aware, our coach has a list of favourites that he continually plays and even though those favourites continually make mistakes, he continues to play them. Because Schenn isn't one of his "boys" so to speak, Schenn is made to be a scapegoat for the team's failures, much like Couturier was last season.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Giroux is lost as a Captain - but I don't think it's b/c he can't captain, I think by body language and the tone of his post game interview he isn't buying into what Lavi is selling anymore, he knows it's not going to work anymore... the system/plan is dead.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The JR quote after Lavy's firing in Carolina is ridiculously telling. Homer, there's the wall. Read it.

Btw, since we're on Eagles talk, I never thought I'd see a day this season where the Eagles defense looked better than the Flyers offense. Yes people, that's how bad it is right now for the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad