Post-Game Talk: October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Oh well. It's a long season. Still plenty of time to turn things around, although I'm not very optimistic about that. Hopefully Lavy will get canned if things don't turn around soon.

Good:
1. Mason looked good. No Bryz-like goals.
2. Vinny was the best forward on the ice.
3. I thought Giroux had a good game. Probably would've put up points if Schenn wasn't on his line.

Bad:
1. Couturier. He had a bad game. Hope he can bounce back.
2. PP. Moved the puck well, just couldn't capitalize.
3. Mez. Hopefully it's just rust.
4. Not playing Laughton is a bit of a head-scratcher...hope he's out there on Sunday. Same with Gus.

Ugly:
1. Even strength is still looked terrible.
2. The PP entry needs to change. Dancing at the blue line isn't going to work. Dump and chase. Keep it simple.
3. Talbot and his dip**** turnover that led to the Leafs first goal. He needs to wake the **** up.

I'm not in panic mode yet, but I'm concerned. Like I said there's still plenty of time to turn things around.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Leafs fan here that came in peace.

I thought Flyers played a meh game; Toronto was horrid to start.

Vinny will fit in very well in Philly -- he wasn't flying, but his creativity and puck handling skills are still very slick. The two other Flyers players that were more noticeable than others were Giroux and Simmonds for me.

I also want to comment on Orr. I read through the game board you guys have up, and I thought you guys might have missed something. Orr's crosscheck was a little high, but he was just trying to defend Fraser. Rosehill boarded, and Fraser's head flew into the boards, and he was completely out for the rest of the game (hopefully not a concussion..), Leafs were playing with 4-5D for the whole third period, I believe. so rewatch that? :/

Anyways, good game!

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Good - Vinny , Streit Giroux Laughton gaining valuable experience in press box
Bad - PP, Mezz
Ugly - Rosehill, Couts Lavy not adjusting the PP entry. Jake with Talbot , Simmonds, Jake on 3rd line

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Good - Vinny , Streit Giroux Laughton gaining valuable experience in press box
Bad - PP, Mezz
Ugly - Rosehill, Couts Lavy not adjusting the PP entry. Jake with Talbot , Simmonds, Jake on 3rd line

I'm surprised more people aren't pissed about that.

Not only did we play a useless goon who took a stupid penalty and played barely any minutes over him, but he's our best prospect by a decent margin and one of our few legitimate 1st round prospects in the system. Considering how horrible our prospects are, you'd think more people would be up-in-arms about it on here.

I mean, even if Laughton was playing on the 4th line instead of Rosehill that would still seem like a waste of development time and methodology versus getting top minutes in the minor leagues.

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
Not having Giroux and Voracek together was really stupid but unsurprising. He did put them together when there was 5 minutes left on the clock... They were producing at more than a point per game clip at the end of last season, it just makes no sense any way you look at it. Spread the offence you say? Then tonight happens, Giroux and Voracek created scoring chances and no one to finish them. Theres a reason teams have a "1st" line, "2nd" line... We clearly dont have the personnel to have 3 scoring lines, not with Talbot there. 3rd line should of had schenn on it and used as a shutdown.

Im no NHL coach though.

Rant#1 over.

Based on the GDT, most of you are more down on our performance than I.

Our 5-on-5 couldn't convert but looked good. Power play generated a ton of chances but Bernier was pretty good himself.

I thought it was a generally well-played game. And I can't extrapolate much from it. Maybe it generally confirmed how "average" this team is.

Nothing particularly good or bad to take from it. Yet, some of you seem ready to prepare your own noose.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm surprised more people aren't pissed about that.

Not only did we play a useless goon who took a stupid penalty and played barely any minutes over him, but he's our best prospect by a decent margin and one of our few legitimate 1st round prospects in the system. Considering how horrible our prospects are, you'd think more people would be up-in-arms about it on here.

I mean, even if Laughton was playing on the 4th line instead of Rosehill that would still seem like a waste of development time and methodology versus getting top minutes in the minor leagues.

I have said he should be in JR and be on Team Canada. That being said, I could be ok with him pk ing and playing 8-10 mins a night with hall and Rinaldo . But to waste in the press box while Rosehill plays and Talbot plays third line is ****ing moronic.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Not having Giroux and Voracek together was really stupid but unsurprising. He did put them together when there was 5 minutes left on the clock... They were producing at more than a point per game clip at the end of last season, it just makes no sense any way you look at it. Spread the offence you say? Then tonight happens, Giroux and Voracek created scoring chances and no one to finish them. Theres a reason teams have a "1st" line, "2nd" line... We clearly dont have the personnel to have 3 scoring lines, not with Talbot there. 3rd line should of had schenn on it and used as a shutdown.

Im no NHL coach though.

Rant#1 over.

he's hurt. his minutes were limited

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Voracek was invisible when not forcing everything on the PP tonight.

That happens when you're coming off injury (albeit a slight one) and playing with Sean "still waiting on that offensive game" Couturier and Max "I just freaking suck and have a bad contract 4th liner" Talbot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Im no NHL coach though.

Rant#1 over.

I like the idea of splitting the two assuming they're both firing at all cylinders.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I really hope Rosehill and Mez are out next game.

Mez is useless. He can't do a single thing but shoot the puck

Slot Laughton in on the third line and let Talbot rot on the 4th line where he belongs

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Based on the GDT, most of you are more down on our performance than I.

Our 5-on-5 couldn't convert but looked good. Power play generated a ton of chances but Bernier was pretty good himself.

I thought it was a generally well-played game. And I can't extrapolate much from it. Maybe it generally confirmed how "average" this team is.

Nothing particularly good or bad to take from it. Yet, some of you seem ready to prepare your own noose.

If you were paying attention you'd know it's more like we're down on our last 50+ performances (at the least) then just tonight.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Leafs fan here that came in peace.

I thought Flyers played a meh game; Toronto was horrid to start.

Vinny will fit in very well in Philly -- he wasn't flying, but his creativity and puck handling skills are still very slick. The two other Flyers players that were more noticeable than others were Giroux and Simmonds for me.

I also want to comment on Orr. I read through the game board you guys have up, and I thought you guys might have missed something. Orr's crosscheck was a little high, but he was just trying to defend Fraser. Rosehill boarded, and Fraser's head flew into the boards, and he was completely out for the rest of the game (hopefully not a concussion..), Leafs were playing with 4-5D for the whole third period, I believe. so rewatch that? :/

Anyways, good game!

Frasers head din not fly into the boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That happens when you're coming off injury (albeit a slight one) and playing with Sean "still waiting on that offensive game" Couturier and Max "I just freaking suck and have a bad contract 4th liner" Talbot.

I'm not even talking ES, I didnt even notice him there but he was noticeably terrible on the PP hurt or not.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I really hope Rosehill and Mez are out next game.

Mez is useless. He can't do a single thing but shoot the puck

Slot Laughton in on the third line and let Talbot rot on the 4th line where he belongs

I agree with this.

If you don't understand what he means by that, it's probably better that you read and listen then comment and enforce your own opinion.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not even talking ES, I didnt even notice him there but he was noticeably terrible on the PP hurt or not.

Our whole team sucked on the PP tonight as far as getting it done. If anything I'm more mad at Giroux considering he's our best offensive talent, best PP guy, played almost 10 minutes of PP time, over 25 minutes of overall time, and put up 0 points.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
The good: Vinny, Roo
The bad: 1 goal on all those PPs
The ugly: Living in Toronto and having my blackberry go off repeatedly by my annoying friends/relatives who are parking their chairs on Yonge Street, waiting for the parade to start

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad