Post-Game Talk: Oct 12 | Jets 4 @ Canucks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Fans are going to continue to not show up if we continue to play such a boring playstyle. I'm also sick of people who critique high-event players, solely on the fact that they are high-event and they make mistakes. The reality of the situation is that we need those players to play MORE if we want to be able to score more then 1-2 goals a game. Because 32 shots attempts at even strength especially when behind for most of the game is absolutely pitiful. Especially against the team we just played against, who showed up last night.

We need more shot attempts, we need more offense. We aren't going to get that by playing these low-event players so much.

Fans will continue to not show up to games and we will continue to lose, because Green is relying on bad defensive players like Gudbranson and Sutter. We aren't good enough to play like the 2012 LA Kings to shutdown opponents that much. With high-event hockey we will win more games and we will attract more fans.

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
A lot of the angst here is severely misplaced. Our defensive players have been largely doing their jobs. Sutter's line helped shut down the hottest ES line in the league. They're hardly the problem.

Our goalie has been letting in one softie every game so far. Some of those L's become W's if Markstrom starts sharper.

On D, we've been largely acceptable with outstanding play from Tanev and solid play from MDZ. They should form our new top pairing with Edler out. The biggest black mark is Gudbransson who has not looked good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at. Sure he brings physicality, but he is repeatedly getting exposed around his net.

The biggest problem of all is our utterly anemic offense. Our top line can't skate at ES. Our 2nd line is a one man show. Our 3rd line has been playing under 10 a game and doing little with the minutes. Our 4th line leads the team in ES minutes, which is insane, but at least they're actually shutting down opponent top lines. Hardly the biggest worry for the team.

Our offense is putrid, so playing defensively is all we can do.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I'm not seeing this good game by Boeser that a lot of people are saying, I thought he was pretty average to be honest. I expected a bit more drive when he got in. I can assume that he was rusty a bit from sitting but it wasn't a good game I saw there.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not seeing this good game by Boeser that a lot of people are saying, I thought he was pretty average to be honest. I expected a bit more drive when he got in. I can assume that he was rusty a bit from sitting but it wasn't a good game I saw there.

You're right.. it wasn't a good game in an absolute term of effecting the game (at even strength)... but he did not hurt the team, he held his own in puck battles, he stayed well positioned and didn't get caught up ice... After a shaky opening couple of shifts and a goal against and a one shift benching for his line... He wasn't over-whelmed or look out of place the rest of the way....

He let fly a wicked shot that led to a goal. Overall it was a good outing for a rookie making his season debut after a couple weeks off. I was pretty happy with what I saw.. only gonna get better.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
im going to leave it to the coach cuz ur opinion means JACK SHIT. it virtually has ZERO impact to them.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
A lot of the angst here is severely misplaced. Our defensive players have been largely doing their jobs. Sutter's line helped shut down the hottest ES line in the league. They're hardly the problem.

Our goalie has been letting in one softie every game so far. Some of those L's become W's if Markstrom starts sharper.

On D, we've been largely acceptable with outstanding play from Tanev and solid play from MDZ. They should form our new top pairing with Edler out. The biggest black mark is Gudbransson who has not looked good at the one thing he's supposed to be good at. Sure he brings physicality, but he is repeatedly getting exposed around his net.

The biggest problem of all is our utterly anemic offense. Our top line can't skate at ES. Our 2nd line is a one man show. Our 3rd line has been playing under 10 a game and doing little with the minutes. Our 4th line leads the team in ES minutes, which is insane, but at least they're actually shutting down opponent top lines. Hardly the biggest worry for the team.

Our offense is putrid, so playing defensively is all we can do.

Very much agree with this in general. Don't think I'd be that harsh with Gudbranson. Would say he has been ok.

But your point about the problem being the so-called offense and not the defense seems pretty obvious. Ends up with the team being stuck in their end too much as well as never providing the team with some sort of cushion that might let them overcome any defensive mistakes. Defenseman makes one mistake and he becomes the goat because the team has so little ability to score to make up for that mistake.

Same thing with Markstrom. If he's not air tight then we have little chance of winning.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Very much agree with this in general. Don't think I'd be that harsh with Gudbranson. Would say he has been ok.

But your point about the problem being the so-called offense and not the defense seems pretty obvious. Ends up with the team being stuck in their end too much as well as never providing the team with some sort of cushion that might let them overcome any defensive mistakes. Defenseman makes one mistake and he becomes the goat because the team has so little ability to score to make up for that mistake.

Same thing with Markstrom. If he's not air tight then we have little chance of winning.

Part of the harshness on Gudbransson is that his mistakes have been leading to goals against and they stand out when multiple replays show him losing coverage. Could be bad luck at this early stage. Stecher and Hutton also make their fair share of errors, but they haven't hurt them as often.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Missed a lot of the third period, but the 1040 morning guys were complaining about the ice time for Boeser and Virtanen....did Green pull a 'Willie D' and shorten his bench?....were they stapled to the pine along with Eriksson, the $6m bust?

Can't quite grasp the brick-bats for Gudbranson.....I think he's been excellent so far this season.....one of the few Canucks who can actually win a board battle.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'm still surprised there's so much optimism on Gudbranson. I think he looks like Andrew Alberts. And he's also one of the main culprits when people say we can't transition the puck.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I'm still surprised there's so much optimism on Gudbranson. I think he looks like Andrew Alberts. And he's also one of the main culprits when people say we can't transition the puck.

I think he's looked fairly good in his own zone and playing against transition. He was pretty physically dominate on the boards last night as well. He needs to get rid of the puck thou, he holds on to it way to long and gives it away regularly.

Greens got to tell him to move the puck quicker.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think he's looked fairly good in his own zone and playing against transition. He was pretty physically dominate on the boards last night as well. He needs to get rid of the puck thou, he holds on to it way to long and gives it away regularly.

Greens got to tell him to move the puck quicker.

Shouldn't have to tell that to a guy we traded a 1st round draftee, the 33rd overall pick and early 4th round pick for IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad