Post-Game Talk: Oct 12 | Jets 4 @ Canucks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Gudbranson needs to be scratched for Biega/Pouliot
Del Zotto needs to move down the lineup
wow, absolutely not.

completely disagree. i think either u are trolling or flat out stupid.

gudbranson and del zotto has been more effective than hutton + stecher.

im starting to see that u actually do not understand hockey very well .

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's come to this. We have $6M AAV Eriksson being defended for his understated defensive play. Ugh.

Thank you JPat for leading the charge on questioning what the hell is going on with this player. The media are now all over this and they should dog this guy constantly for just showing up to the rink and trying to sneak away every game. Some call it "understated" ... to me it looks like a player that just wants to cruise around and collect his fat pay cheque with the least amount of effort.

I notice Linden and Benning haven't been doing their normal interview rotation recently, either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't see the game but that's not really too surprising when after the Edler injury he played 27:46 minutes.

He was also playing a big percentage of those shifts on his weak side.

No issues with Del Zotto's play whatsoever. He was a -3 but one of those goals was an EN and one was an unlucky bounce off his skate in a situation created by Baertschi's broken stick. He ate through a ton of minutes in a tough situation and was solid. Gudbranson also had a much better game.

Stecher was awful and you wonder how long it is before he gets scratched.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
At the time I said that would happen. Huh.

Yup, the only way it was going to not work out that way is if Benning really was a savant scout that could hit on all of his picks. Definitely missed that mark by a bit...

Only caught a bit of this game, and it really just stands out that a) the Jets aren't very good b) they're so, so much further ahead than the Canucks. Under normal circumstances, I'd be livid with someone like Cheveldayoff as a GM for potentially/likely squandering a prime window with Ehlers and Laine still on their ELC. But the fact that they even have those players puts them miles ahead of the Canucks.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
GUDBRANSON SUCKS
DL_gcWBV4AE2MIQ.jpg:large

DL_jInmV4AEyJtW.png:large

Reactions: WTG

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Still the same thing which has plagued the canucks through many years, only players who can create any semblance of sustained attack are the twins. Only now they are old and slow.

Horvat, Sutter, Granlund these forwards aren't very good at distributing the puck.

Horvat is our most dangerous forward, but his offense comes from solo charges to the net. His lack of playmaking is what is capping his offensive potential.

My lineup after 3 games:

Sedin Sedin Vanek - Vanek seems like a good fit.

Horvat - Gagner - Boeser - Try Horvat on the wing. He plays a like power winger who bulls to the net anyways. Let Gagner orchestrate offense and distribute the puck. If you are not using Gagner in a scoring role, might as well sit him.

Baer - Burmistrov - Eriksson - Didn't think Burmistrov deserved to be scratched.

Granlund- Sutter - Dorsett - This checking line worked, why break it up?

Del Zotto - Tanev - ride them

Hutton - Biega - Biega seems to calm Hutton, I like Biega more than Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stecher - See what we have with Pouliot

Reactions: vancityluongo

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yup, the only way it was going to not work out that way is if Benning really was a savant scout that could hit on all of his picks. Definitely missed that mark by a bit...

Yes but unfortunately no such thing exists on the world. People have been conning themselves from day 1 of Benning thinking like this.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Horvat line started the game with their heads in their arse... Horvat leading the turnover charge. Rightfully the line got benched for a shift after the goal they gave up (Baertschi's broken stick)... came back and played non-gong show hockey.

Don't know why Green switched up the Sutter v Sheifelie matchup to Horvat v Sheielefiei.. perhaps to get more offensive? But it gave them (Jets) legs they didn't have thru the first two periods..

Gudbranson had a very good game. Very happy to see the bounce back this season.

Stecher and Hutton were terrible. No confidence.. flubbing pucks... Hutton I expect.. but not used to seeing Stecher struggle so much WITH the puck... away from the puck, sure.. but man.

Really like Del Zotto... but he completely dropped back to the crease unnecessarily on the Laine goal.. was covering Markstrom instead of worrying about his gap on the forwards... back breaker mistake.

It really felt like Eriksson-Granlund-Virtanen were building something into the second... just felt they were getting the better of the Copp line every shift and it felt like a matter of time and theeeennnn... Laine scored.
Line was dismantled and Virtanen/Dorsett took their seats.

I was pleased with Boeser's debut considering it was his first game of the season. Still don't like his legs and I think it will hurt the possession ability of his line throughout a game... but it's good to have that potential flash offense as a legit threat.

Vanek looks like he's getting more comfortable. He's getting his legs going... his skill is beginning to flash more often.

And our PP sucks.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
a little late to the party but missed most the game last night and wanted to re-watch this morning.

report card:
A
Ben Hutton - was the best player on the ice. Skated miles and shot the puck with aplomb. something he would always wait to do in the past. Was unlucky not to have a pt or 2 from it.
B
Brock Boeser - nice first game. Looked good on the PP. Instrumental to Sedin's goal. Great instincts and a way better playmaker than he probably gets credit for. Probably our only 1st line level player amongst our young players.

Henrik Sedin - Some great work in the 3rd getting the puck through the neutral zone and winning faceoffs. Put teammates in positions to succeed and didn't run out of gas.

Chris Tanev - nice to see a couple goals and a willingness to shoot the puck. What can you say. Remarkably consistent and rarely a missed step. Could have been a A if not for the SH goal turnover
C+
Jacob Markstrom - Better effort than the statline. Wasn't anything you could realistically say he should have had.

Daniel Sedin - Scored a goal, was involved all night. Showed great hustle on a back check tried to make things happen. Would have graded better if he didn't have so many bad passes coming out of the defensive zone and passive play against the right side of the Jets D. Good game.

Thomas Vanek - Guy has some tremendous offensive instincts. Had a bunch of really good deflections and passes in tight and was feisty. Still has those frustrating lazy moments. He is what he is, but he deserves some credit he played well overall.

Brandon Sutter - Played some big minutes again and was good in his role. Missed on a couple chances but for the most part helped neutralize the big line for the Jets.

Michael Del Zotto - Wasn't really fair he ended up a minus 3 on the night. EN goal, shot off his skate. But the Laine goal he could have stepped up a little quicker. Great goal scorers find the seams and waste no time though. Think this is our best UFA signing. He transitions the puck nicely is a good skater and pushes offense. Almost went end to end at one point. Better game than the boxscore.

Erik Gudbranson - Speaking of better game than the boxscore. Thought he was really solid. Counted 4 times the Forward he passed to in his own zone lost the puck trying to skate it out. Couldn't have helped his zone exits? Layed out Dano, had an active body and stick and hit a post and made good decisions with and without the puck. Before any of you pile on me about EG. I am probably the biggest hater of the McCann trade and despised that move. I'm doing my best to be unbiased.
C
Bo Horvat - Would have been a C- if he didn't come alive in the 3rd. Made a few good gallops but his hands vision and rigidity were terrible until the 3rd. Some poor efforts and needs to protect the puck more. Nice hit on Scheifele but i'm sorry he looked like a young Mike Fisher in this one not a 1st line center.

Sven Baertschi - Needs to be aggressive with his first few strides and instincts. Too passive. Was better than the first couple games but he needs to get it going. Not good enough for his role.

Markus Granlund - A shame that Gagner or Eriksson is stealing his PP time at this point because his shot is wicked and needs more looks. Wipped a 40ft wrister just wide, drew a penalty. Definitely better at wing IMO, seems to get gassed at C with his short strides. Didn't have much push but didn't hurt the team in any way.

Sam Gagner - Kinda feel for him a bit. I'm sure he's wondering where he fits in and who the hell he's gonna play with but it's on him to provide some spark. Needs to be better. Would like to see him center Jake and Granlund/Eriksson

Derek Dorsett - Worked his tail off, but his hands and vision are just so 4th line grind. Decent in his role
C-
Loui Eriksson - Just simply not good enough. I'm not using his salary against him either. Needs to find a way to do something other than be good defensively. Non event player who is missing plays and steps all over the ice offensively.

Troy Stecher - Needs to clean thing's up. Throwing a few too many bombs up ice. Love his effort level but he's erratic and needs to get more involved up ice.

Jake Virtanen - Can see clearly what TG is doing here. His last full shift was an illustration of the things Travis was on record of wanting him to clean up. Keep the feet moving, Get in hard on the defense and manage the puck. He bombed all 3 and came off early with about 4 minutes left in the 2nd. He saw the ice for about 20 seconds after that. Still learning....needs to smarten up we need his speed and power.

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
My positives and negatives..

Positives

- Boeser: the only player that was able to play a decent hockey game in every period of the game.

- Tanev: I love to see this guy involved offensively.

- Horvat: Not enough in the first two periods, he tried to create something in the third.

- Sedins: say what you what but they were the only players to do something in the first half of the game, while the other players were uneffective st all.

Negatives:

- Stetcher: I counted at least two terrible turnovers in the dzone, for me the worst Canuck in this start of the season. Hope he'll change his play.

- Baertschi: he continues to show up only in the third period.

- Eriksson: I think he's a good player but man he must prove something. It's time.

Overall, a really bad performance by the team.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Gudbranson had a very good game. Very happy to see the bounce back this season.

Hutton was terrible
Not even trying to hide your biases here.

Let's call a spade a spade. Gudbranson has been terrible in the first two games, and bad in the last one. I don't know how on earth you can convincingly make an argument that he has shown signs of "bouncing back" after those performances. Eye test he sucks ass, advanced stats he sucks ass.

Hutton has flatlined as a player. I doubt he improves much more than what he is. Smart thing to do would be to trade him honestly, before the rest of the league realizes. But he was awesome yesterday in the last two periods. I don't know what game you watched.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Just listening to TSN 1040 and they were saying that, once again, Sutter appears to be our defacto #1 centre based on ice-time and deployment. Way to mix it up, Green. You wonder why fans fail to show-up when Sutter leads the team in even-strength ice.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Players that either need to improve or be left out of the lineup:
-Sutter
-Gagner
-Erikkson
-Gudbrandson
-Baertschi

They're all either invisible or have been noticeably bad.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I think that an Eriksson - Granlund - Virtanen line is the best/only good possible third line combination you could realistically build from this sad excuse of a roster.
Hope it continues, even if they didn't have the greatest game. Eriksson is an underrated player on this team.

Gudbranson is god-awful, and my pick for worst player on the team right now. It's a travesty that he hasn't been swapped out for Biega yet. (Stecher and Hutton have been poor as well)

Last edited:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
The amount of players on our team who are even close to providing value for their contracts is terrifying. Watching this team is being served a bowl of garbage soup, and for dessert someone slashes your tires.

It's disheartening for players to look disengaged w 79 games to go. If Edler's out for a while, it's going to be a lot of 4-1 losses as we spend 40+ minutes defending 1-2 goal deficits. Stecher w Edler vs Stecher without is really ugly. Funny that it takes things like that for some ppl to realize Edler is a very good Dman.

Those crowd shots make you happy in a way because it's good to see incompetence get punished but it still bums me out, not sure why.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Both Stecher and Hutton definitely outplayed Gudbranson who just outright sucks. He doesn't generate offense and he sucks defensively.

But Stecher and Hutton both have work on getting the puck out of their zone. Both struggle especially Stecher at having controlled exits.

And Tanev........ I mean what a guy, this guys is an absolute BOSS in his own zone. he gets soooooo many defensive touches and he turns the puck over and gets the puck out & onto a forwards stick with ease.
Toronto who LOVES getting the puck onto their forwards stick as soon as possible would love this guy.

Agreed, they need a veteran presence on their pairing.

Edler-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev

Those need to be our top 4 going into the future of this season.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Using raw corsi numbers for one game to determine effectiveness is going to lead to a lot of really bad evaluations.

Same with eye test evaluations but that doesn't stop people from doing them.

When Gudbranson had almost no positive advance stats at the end of the day, how the hell can you argue that he had a good game? With Del Zotto, there are plenty of other arguments you can use, like TOI and deployment, he wasn't a bad transition defenseman that game. There are plenty of things in the advanced stats that are contradictory to him having a bad game. I didn't say he had a bad game, it's the fact that he was on the ice for most of our shot attempts against, that's what I'm bringing up. I was advocating for him moving down the lineup because he has shown to be at least an effective bottom pairing defenseman.

wow, absolutely not.

completely disagree. i think either u are trolling or flat out stupid.

gudbranson and del zotto has been more effective than hutton + stecher.

im starting to see that u actually do not understand hockey very well .

Yeesh, ignorance glorified.

Gudbranson doesn't move the puck out of the zone, he's not good at preventing the other team from taking shots. Making him a poor defensive defenseman, he's also not good offensively, so we are left with a player that isn't good at anything. That's Gudbranson.

Stecher and Hutton were more effective at creating offense then either Del Zotto or Gudbranson. We needed offense that game because we were behind. So they would have had more of an effect on the outcome of this game if played more. Understand?

There's a reason this team has been terrible at producing ES shot attempts so far throughout the season. And a lot has to do with the deployment of low event players, or just bad players in general. We aren't a good enough defensive team to win games 1-0, and that seems to be the only way we can win if we continue to be such a low event team. Besides, this fanbase doesn't want to see boring games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad