"Obviously, it's a mistake," Bob Nicholson says of process of hiring Peter Chiarelli

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I really wonder what he realized this. He kept letting Chia make moves this year, some very damaging for next season, so I assume he only finally decided hiring Chia was a mistake when the team was on a bad run before the all-star break.

This gives me great confidence that Nicholson will make the right move with his next hires!

Reactions: NinjaKick

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
He should have to go through the type of interview Habs GM did last summer. Where the interviewer DESTROYED him live on the air. It was low key rude, disrespectful even, but hey it worked. He made changes and look where they are.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
my brother works at rogers place at stuido 99 its a resturant there and he would see all the oilers mangement everyone except chiarelli pretty sure he was target and he knew
Just goes to show time heals all wounds. Kevin Lowe was the most hated man in Edmonton for a while there and now even he can show his face around town.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
if they think Chiarelli was the problem then Edmonton is still in for some tough times ahead

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A lot of smugness in this thread, there were sure a ton of people who congratulated the Oilers for hiring both Chiarelli and McLellan on this forum. Obviously Chiarelli had a lot of red flags even then, but there was certainly a popular opinion that the Oilers would finally right the ship.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A lot of smugness in this thread, there were sure a ton of people who congratulated the Oilers for hiring both Chiarelli and McLellan on this forum. Obviously Chiarelli had a lot of red flags even then, but there was certainly a popular opinion that the Oilers would finally right the ship.
That's right, and the first two years of them were highly successful. I personally never thought badly of McLellan and I thought firing him was unnecessary (his bizarre attachment to Lucic aside).

Chiarelli, however, simply made far too many negative-value trades and gutted the roster of all depth. I also disliked strongly his persona -- he basically hid from the media, and, when he was interviewed, sounded unintelligent.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I wonder what Chia's up to right now. Obviously it would be best for him to stay away from the internet for a while... and people... and mirrors

maybe look into getting cats, they don't judge

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I wonder what Chia's up to right now.
Chia meets McLellan in the supermarket line:

Chia: Oh, hello there.

Todd: Peter! Long time no. What's new?

Chia: Well...er, did you see that breakfast cereal is 15% off?

Todd: I sure did. But what really amazed me is the prices of strawberries! They get so expensive at this time of year.

Chia: I know... that's right.

Todd: Well, see you later, Peter.

Chia: Good day, then, Todd.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Chia meets McLellan in the supermarket line:

Chia: Oh, hello there.

Todd: Peter! Long time no. What's new?

Chia: Well...er, did you see that breakfast cereal is 15% off?

Todd: I sure did. But what really amazed me is the prices of strawberries! They get so expensive at this time of year.

Chia: I know... that's right.

Todd: Well, see you later, Peter.

Chia: Good day, then, Todd.
Chia casually exists the supermarket with his 37 boxes of cereal, 2 small boxes of strawberries comfortably hidden under his sombrero... (he's on a budget and sometimes you gotta cut corners in life).
Unloads his groceries into his car, gets in, starts it up and looks into the mirror...

Todd: Hello Peter, do you remember me?

Chia: Yeah we just spoke in line 5 minutes ago

Todd: Yes... we did

Chia: How'd ya get in my car it was locked

Todd: Remember all those times you locked yourself in the bathroom from the inside at the arena? Well, I've mastered the art of lock picking

Chia: goddamnit you know doors don't make sense to me

Todd: anywhoo, do you remember how I hugged you back in line at the supermarket?

Chia: I will never forget that moment

Todd: right... right... but what you didn't realize was... I slipped a dog collar around your neck Peter... look down

Chia
: oh ****, you know i thought something was tickling my neck but i couldn't scratch it because my hands were full of cereal

Todd: That's a taser collar Peter, if you come within 500 yards of my house again... you get tased. We're sick of it Peter, it's time to move on.

Chia: its true, I've been doing alot of reflecting with my time off and I've come to the conclusion that... if I could just get a few clippings of your hair and glue it onto me head... I'll become part of you and never have to bother you again

Todd:

Todd then jumps out of the car and runs away

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Nicholson is a fraud. This guy has leetched off of his Team Canada success his entire career. He should go back to sipping wine in the okanagan.

The first time I saw Nicholson way way back on the TSN OTR show, I smelled the kiss ass con man from this guy. And when the Oilers hired him acting as a Shanahan-type, my arms were in the air. I could not believe it. Talk about a guy who never had one original idea in his head, yet always worms his way into every high profile jobs. The Oilers' owner must have been incredibly stupid to not get that.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Given that the Seguin trade was taped and freely available to everyone. How he got another job as a GM is beyond me...

Then I remember it's the Oilers.

in the end he traded both Taylor and Tyler. :laugh:

But I always linked that to the guy was intimidated, surrounded by experienced guys and someone like Cam Neely who all went "he's not part of our culture". He was not the real boss and you clearly saw that in the video.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
That's right, and the first two years of them were highly successful. I personally never thought badly of McLellan and I thought firing him was unnecessary (his bizarre attachment to Lucic aside).

Chiarelli, however, simply made far too many negative-value trades and gutted the roster of all depth. I also disliked strongly his persona -- he basically hid from the media, and, when he was interviewed, sounded unintelligent.

Obviously Chiarelli was a huge problem, I’m strictly speaking of public consensus at the time of his hiring.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
'It's like an abused woman who keeps going back to her husband over and over again.'

You literally compared the two as if they were the same. You're either confused or backtracking.
Yes. I compared Oilers fans to an abused woman who keeps going back to her abuser. It's the Oilers fans choice as much as the abused woman.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm gonna miss him. Pete, you are gold in my book. Gold.

AP289741776785.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad