"Obviously, it's a mistake," Bob Nicholson says of process of hiring Peter Chiarelli

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Sorry Bob, the biggest mistake in this Oilers saga is Katz hiring you.

The second is Oilers fans supporting or buying any product that any company Katz has an interest in.

As much as I think the Chiarelli hiring was a mistake and he made some bone headed moves throwing him under the bus is so unprofessional.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Where's Kevin Lowe? I'm sure they can dust him off and bring him back so that he can claim that he's played on championship teams and knows what it takes to win in this league.

Reactions: binop7

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Where's Kevin Lowe? I'm sure they can dust him off and bring him back so that he can claim that he's played on championship teams and knows what it takes to win in this league.
I think there's maybe 2 people in the league who have won more than me.
Hard to argue his point :sarcasm:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
You don’t say...

Now let’s repeat that process another ten years before you can figure out what the problem really is

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Given that the Seguin trade was taped and freely available to everyone. How he got another job as a GM is beyond me...

Then I remember it's the Oilers.

Reactions: 1989

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
"When we hired Peter Chiarelli and when we hired Todd McLellan we thought we were getting a top general manager and a top coach. It didn’t work out in this situation. We’re going to go back. This time, we’re going to interview a lot of people."

-----------------------------------

"Is your job on the line?"

“You’d have to talk to Daryl Katz on that… I certainly have a good relationship with Darryl."

Gross. Poor McDavid...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I gotta give Chiarelli credit, at least he didn't trade McDavid!

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
why the hell did he let chia make so many dumbass moves and drag his bloody feet. pathetic. oilers fans and mcdavidnseserve better

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he was a bad gm, lets blame the owner ship. I will never forget the story ownership over rode Oilers management from Drafting Ryan Murray at number 1. Yes even if they did they draft him he was far from the best player but, by far a far better player and at least a top 4 dman.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Pretty soon McTavish will be coach, K. Lowe will be GM, and Messier will play again. I think Messier would actually give Kassian a run for his money as a 4th line grinder.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
he was a bad gm, lets blame the owner ship. I will never forget the story ownership over rode Oilers management from Drafting Ryan Murray at number 1. Yes even if they did they draft him he was far from the best player but, by far a far better player and at least a top 4 dman.
meh they ended up being right on that pick but it's not like I'd trust the scouts going off the board when they only picked up one decent player outside the first round (petry) in forever

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If he had any actual remorse for the state of the Oilers, he would follow Chia out the door.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What an idiot

Way to throw the guy you hired under the bus

Imo he has no right to do that. He had the ability to fire him at any time and didnt - the responsibility is just as much on him

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
"This time, we’re going to interview a lot of people.”

Damn, these guys really pick it up fast, don't they? It's pretty impressive that it took only 10 years of re-building for a million-dollar executive to come up with the concept of interviewing more than one person for the key job in their organization.

There are rumors that Nicholson may be on the verge of mastering email.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
“With the Oilers, you go back all the way to Glen Sather, and how many people has this organization interviewed to name a General Manager? Through my research, it’s one person that they looked at…. Obviously it’s a mistake, as a I sit here today.”

That's malpractice. Condolences to Oilers fans.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hiring Chiarelli and sitting on your hands watching him destroy this team should have cost Nicholson his job.

We hold these management people in such high regards but way too many are awful at their jobs. How some of these schmucks continue to get jobs is insane.

How did Shero get another job? Bylsma? They proven for years they are incompetent but they are employed even today. The old boys club is strong.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Hiring Chiarelli and sitting on your hands watching him destroy this team should have cost Nicholson his job.

We hold these management people in such high regards but way too many are awful at their jobs. How some of these schmucks continue to get jobs is insane.

How did Shero get another job? Bylsma? They proven for years they are incompetent but they are employed even today. The old boys club is strong.

Last paragraph I agree.

As another thread posed 'Why aren't there any non-North American coaches in NHL?'

I doubt Edmonton are adventurous enough to take up that route.

Edit: same applies to GMs though CBJ the exception.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

Ive always wondered this myself. You have this churn of so called "top tier" coaches where they just go from one team to another. Seems like a tough egg to crack getting in that circle.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
How to apologize:

1. Admit a mistake has been made
2. Take responsibility without excuse
3. Explain what you did wrong
4. Listen
5. Explain how you will improve

For professionals these guys suck at what they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00