TSN: Obvious despair for the Ottawa Senators

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And this is going to kill the league long-term if it isn't fixed.

The draft lottery allows the NHL to somewhat control which teams get massive help.

This means it is probably "good" for the League in that it allows them to help the rich: make sure Toronto stays at first overall in 2016, throw a bone to the Rangers/Chicago last year and give Lafrenière to Montreal (as long as the season isn't cancelled and they lose to Pittsburgh).

Since the rich teams drive a lot of the business of the NHL, I'm sure they are pleased about being able to somewhat control these things.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah the result is a shambles...

We should have had better result than 3/5

No, we were most likely to draft 4/5 so we did better than expected.

I think people are, correctly, very angry about the rigging to ensure a play-in team gets Lafrenière but that and where we draft are separate issues.

We were always a long shot at getting first overall, we got a top 3 pick and we didn't fall back as far we were likely to.

I get the anger but I think it would be good for people to not act like we got really screwed: we are still going to get two outstanding prospects! Makar went 4th, Draisatl and Peterson went 5th etc.... Dont allow the fact that we didn't get the best outcome make you think we aren't well off.

Reactions: flying v 604

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
The draft lottery allows the NHL to somewhat control which teams get massive help.

This means it is probably "good" for the League in that it allows them to help the rich: make sure Toronto stays at first overall in 2016, throw a bone to the Rangers/Chicago last year and give Lafrenière to Montreal (as long as the season isn't cancelled and they lose to Pittsburgh).

Since the rich teams drive a lot of the business of the NHL, I'm sure they are pleased about being able to somewhat control these things.
If the Season is cancelled they are going the 2nd draft by point percentage and having the 8 lowest teams vie for the #1 pick. Montreal is in those teams so they will get a shot even if the playoffs are cancelled.

Teams that will be in the lottery if playoffs are cancelled are

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota
Winnipeg
New York
Florida
Columbus

Reactions: Xspyrit

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If the Season is cancelled they are going the 2nd draft by point percentage and having the 8 lowest teams vie for the #1 pick. Montreal is in those teams so they will get a shot even if the playoffs are cancelled.

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota
Winnipeg
New York
Florida
Columbus

Right so the only way Montreal doesn't get Lafrenière is if they beat Pittsburgh.

So might as well accept it now: Laf is going to Montreal.

Reactions: NB613

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think I would rather him go there than the Pens

Montreal would find some way to screw him up

edit: and I do not think the lottery is rigged

Yeah Montreal would definitely mess it up but it would still be infuriating to see the NHL, once again, help the rich over the not-rich.

Same with Toronto: Laf would get a 13 million per year contract out of his ELC out of Dubas :biglaugh:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Im very disappointed. Laf was the only one with that mass marketability that can turn a franchise around.

Obviously we will get two very good players, but they won't have the impact off the ice immediately like Lafreniere would have.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
upload_2020-6-27_11-21-26.jpeg

wear it with pride

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Not sure about "despair" I am thrilled with 3&5

Don't like the bush league "placeholder" team. If they wanted 15 teams in the lottery they should have dumped the idea of play ins and went with the lowest 15 teams in the lottery. That way we know the #1 team would have been the Jets

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
We have a shot at a player that could end up better than the 2 overall. We could get our number 1 centre in Stutzle, and get ‘stuck’ with either another high end forward or a future number 1 d in Drysdale who would look glorious next to chabot. Plus that other first rounder in the islanders pick (assuming they don’t win the lottery.) after the theres not a huge difference between 2-3 and 4-6 overall this year, anyway. It’s disappointing not getting lafrienier but I mean, we only had a 25% shot anyway.

Maybe I’m biased because I wanted stutzle more than Byfield anyway but I think the Sens will look good moving forward. We have the potential depth already in place with a slew of guys that top out as second liners, it’s about damn time we start getting first line talent.

Package some of the second rounders for another first or other young players to build around. We’ll probably get another high pick next season. Idk. I’m excited. Teams don’t get two top five draft picks very often.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Look on the bright side people. Lafreniere would probably demand a huge contract extension in 3 years which would be way over the "budget". Byfield or Stutzle could be cheaper to extend.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
3/5 is really great I'm very happy with that honestly. What we really needed was get a pick in the top 3 so we could get one of the elite centers and we did.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Im fine with them picking third, but what really bothers me is the obvious crooked placeholder shit. Like that’s absolutely insane to me. The league caved under pressure from those big market teams but they shouldn’t have.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The lottery was originally established to give lower placed teams a better opportunity to compete in the future and to attempt to get a better handle on tanking. So much for getting a handle on tanking with the place holder getting the #1 pick!
Teams that are down 2-0 in the qualifying round will be asking themselves.......Is the Stanley Cup a realistic pursuit or do we have a
better shot at getting Lafreniere?
Bottom placed Gm's should be pissed!

Reactions: GCK

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Look on the bright side people. Lafreniere would probably demand a huge contract extension in 3 years which would be way over the "budget". Byfield or Stutzle could be cheaper to extend.

I think Laf would have literally increased the team revenue to a degree that no one else in the draft possibly could.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Right so the only way Montreal doesn't get Lafrenière is if they beat Pittsburgh.

So might as well accept it now: Laf is going to Montreal.

Each team (losing in the qualifying round) will have a 12.5% chance, unless you think there's a conspiracy

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota
Winnipeg
New York
Florida
Columbus

If the Jets win 1st OA then I'm going to be very happy.

Jets : 1st
Sens : 3rd
Sens : 5th

Close to a perfect scenario for me

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It was obvious that a placeholder was going to win 1st.

The NHL just added another hour long show and presentation to see who gets to draft Laf.

This isn’t the NHL helping a certain team out, they never do that. This was the NHL helping itself out.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As much as I know it's not a very useful contribution to the conversation, the NHL can go f*** itself. This is not what the draft was meant to be. A team that that's already good enough to be making the playoffs will be having a 12.5% chance at the number 1 pick. I'm pissed right now, but I'm also reserving some of my arbitrary anger to target specifically at that team when it happens.

Misconception. Half the teams in the play-in wouldn't have made the playoffs. Had they held the lottery normally yesterday, the Jets would have won the 1st OA pick.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ottawa's Pick dropped 3 spots, from second to fifth.

The pick acquired in the EK56 trade, was the one that won the third Lottery.

Whomever they select with the SJS picks (1st and 2nd rounds) will make a very good trade, look great.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Minnesota
Winnipeg
New York
Florida
Columbus

Is this really the plan?

How brutally unfair for every team other than those 8.

They get a massive boost to their odds of winning 1st OV for nothing. Bottom teams get their odds skewed. Top teams get no pick and no playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad