TSN: Obvious despair for the Ottawa Senators

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stupid article, theres no despair. Sens fans I think overall are pretty happy, at least the ones I speak to. And we’re smart, there’s a pandemic - hockey is just for fun. Very poor choice of words and clearly TSN is not in synch with the Ottawa market. But expected.

the 2020 lottery overall is a joke, but that’s the NHL not Sens fans.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How often do two teams have 2 top 5 picks?
I read that this morning but can't remember. Something like the 4th time in 30 some odd years. It's rare.

The only situation I can think of is the Sedins.

Senator Blutarsky

I'll take the NHL for $2,000 Alex
Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa
This is the face of despair.
IMG_20200627_202449.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I read that this morning but can't remember. Something like the 4th time in 30 some odd years. It's rare.

Islandees did it twice in short order and took a goalie with the higher pick both times. Dipietro(1) and Torres(5) and Luongo(4) and Brewer(5) a couple years earlier.

Hopefully this turns out more like the Sedins for us....

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

NYI took Dipetro and Torres 1&5 in 2000. I think there is at least another.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is the thing, if the Sens didn't own the Sharks pick, they would have dropped all the way from 2nd to 5th. This draft system f***s over the truly bad teams.

I just cannot get over that and is one of the reasons why i am not that happy about what transpired.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Im sure it’s not rigged, it does piss me off that we didn’t get to see the balls drawn live on television.

That is fishy, regardless of how much extra time it takes and convoluted the rules are.

We did better than expected and got one of the big three. It’s the leftover person but that’s Ottawa for ya.

I trust the Mann brothers and Dorion that they will pick and develop the right players.

If you had told me this was the result at the beginning of the season I’d be euphoric. And we still could end up with a very good player with the Islanders pick.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Here is the thing, if the Sens didn't own the Sharks pick, they would have dropped all the way from 2nd to 5th. This draft system f***s over the truly bad teams.

I just cannot get over that and is one of the reasons why i am not that happy about what transpired.

Brian Burke says the lottery as is is stupid. He thinks it should only be the bottom teams

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
And this is going to kill the league long-term if it isn't fixed.

With so many players avoid half the teams in the league as UFAs, and now bottom teams can't even beg for the first overall...exactly how are the red-headed children of the NHL (and there are a solid dozen teams in that area) ever improve? Why be a fan of a team when you know there's no chance of ever getting a Cup, an elite UFA or even a first overall pick? Why bother?
How do soccer fans in the European leagues handle it? It's always the same big teams winning and yet people still root for their local team. It only makes the rare upsets (Leicester City of course comes to mind) all the sweeter.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Stupid article, theres no despair. Sens fans I think overall are pretty happy, at least the ones I speak to. And we’re smart, there’s a pandemic - hockey is just for fun. Very poor choice of words and clearly TSN is not in synch with the Ottawa market. But expected.

the 2020 lottery overall is a joke, but that’s the NHL not Sens fans.
My biggest worry as a Sens fan is just ownership/management not committing to any of our good players long term. Otherwise I’m stoked. But that’s a big cloud hanging over me, aha

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Me too there's stuff I don't really like about the lottery system but that reasonning isn't entirely true

San Jose : 3rd worst = 3rd OA pick
LA : 4th worst = 2nd OA pick

It is designated to not reward the worst teams unless they get lucky

The only "outlier" this year is a bubble team (or playoffs team, which would be even worse) getting 1st OA, it's a bit crazy but it's basically the same odds as every other year, just that this year is optically very different

But I don't know, IMO the lottery should be more something like this :

1st OA pick : lottery between the 5 worst teams (minus teams who already won)
2nd OA pick : lottery between the 10 worst teams (minus the team that already won the 3rd OA if it was a bot-10 team)
3rd OA pick : lottery between the 15 teams missing the playoffs

The rest of the order determined by the standings

Last edited:
Reactions: flying v 604

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
The lottery has done nothing but hurt the bad teams lately

2017 draft Colorado goes from 1st to 4th and has Philly and Dallas make big jumps to draft 2nd and 3rd
2018 draft Ottawa goes from 2nd to 4th and Carolina comes from 11th to 2nd
2019 draft Colorado (our pick) goes from 1st to 4th Chicago goes from 12th to 3rd, NYR goes from 6th to 2nd
2020 Detroit goes from 1st to 4th we go from 2nd to 5th and don't know who makes a big jump to 1st *coughs* Montreal *coughs* /s.

of the last 10 drafts the last place team has won it 3 times and that's garbage stuff needs to change i'd bring back you can move 5 spots or more or limit the lottery to the bottom 10/8 teams or make it so you can't drop more than 2 spots if you are in last place it doesn't seem lime much but it's more palatable than 3.

Reactions: Deku

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They should have kept it simple. The teams who where out of the playoffs should have been able to draft where they finished. If they make it further in this new playoff format they swap it out to the proper seed.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The lottery has done nothing but hurt the bad teams lately

2017 draft Colorado goes from 1st to 4th and has Philly and Dallas make big jumps to draft 2nd and 3rd
2018 draft Ottawa goes from 2nd to 4th and Carolina comes from 11th to 2nd
2019 draft Colorado (our pick) goes from 1st to 4th Chicago goes from 12th to 3rd, NYR goes from 6th to 2nd
2020 Detroit goes from 1st to 4th we go from 2nd to 5th and don't know who makes a big jump to 1st *coughs* Montreal *coughs* /s.

of the last 10 drafts the last place team has won it 3 times and that's garbage stuff needs to change i'd bring back you can move 5 spots or more or limit the lottery to the bottom 10/8 teams or make it so you can't drop more than 2 spots if you are in last place it doesn't seem lime much but it's more palatable than 3.
Or just make it you can't draft in the top 3 in back to back years. They would fall to 4th.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Or just make it you can't draft in the top 3 in back to back years. They would fall to 4th.

That defeats what i'm trying to do tho, I don't mind if a bad team drafts in the top 3 multiple years in a row some teams need it I see Detroit being in the bottom 5 for the next 2 years they need the top 3 draft picks I just don't want teams in the 10 to 15 range jumping to the top 3 4 years in a row. If were restricting teams picking n the top 3 then either do away with the lottery or make it so only the bottom 5 can be in the lottery.

Maybe something like a team can't pick 1st overall within 3 years of doing it, same thing with 2nd overall and no more than 2 3rd overalls in 3 years.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My biggest worry as a Sens fan is just ownership/management not committing to any of our good players long term. Otherwise I’m stoked. But that’s a big cloud hanging over me, aha

I think we can assume there won’t be an investmeant into winning and when Connor Brown gets traded in a few months it’ll be sold as “carefully planned rebuild” when in reality we’ll know it’s all because Melnyck doesn’t win.

that’s why it’s so important to enjoy 3 & 5, we’re Sens fans we get the shit. This is a Rare moment of optimism and good feels, not despair.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
A lot of talk here about the sens getting disappointed in the lottery.. we won a spot folks. We won one of the top tiered guys.. had we slipped to 4-6 we'd be losing our **** about missing byfield/stutzle. I love hearing these toronto goofs on tv talking about "massive disappointment".

Also, check out the main boards for a laugh. You can see all the truly jealous fans of other teams speculating that ottawa takes perfetti and lundell ( or some other brutal combo) at 3 and 5:laugh:

... they all want stutzle/byfield. That's a lottery win for me.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The draft lottery allows the NHL to somewhat control which teams get massive help.

This means it is probably "good" for the League in that it allows them to help the rich: make sure Toronto stays at first overall in 2016, throw a bone to the Rangers/Chicago last year and give Lafrenière to Montreal (as long as the season isn't cancelled and they lose to Pittsburgh).

Since the rich teams drive a lot of the business of the NHL, I'm sure they are pleased about being able to somewhat control these things.

But any team can draw a bunch of revenue if they're good and get a couple 1st and 2nd overall stars. Look at Pittsburgh.

Why wouldn't the NHL want to do that to another franchise or two?

Prajna

Jun 10, 2008
If you are worried about this, you do not understand what is going on. You haven't understood what is going on for a few years. By now, with all the prospects, and what we have in this years draft, you think a light would go off and you would start to understand the process. I am shocked that so many people on here have such limited understanding.
Do not mean to attack you personally but I see comments all over HF that are along the lines that .... "Ottawa will not have success because the owner wont pay anyone". Nothing but ignorance.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lots of push for Rossi at #5 in Ottawa - I believe matchups win games (we were better then the Leafs in every series but they just matched up so well against us and had the better goalie)

having Rossi as a top 2 C, ona line with Tkachuks suddenly there is no size and net front mismatch. Put Pinto and Tkachuk on a line and that’s a huge size mismatch for a team like MTL.

I hope Ottawa gets skill with size, Byfield obviously creates so many matchup problems if you roll him out there with Brady.

so not into drafting Rossi even if the skill is there

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lots of push for Rossi at #5 in Ottawa - I believe matchups win games (we were better then the Leafs in every series but they just matched up so well against us and had the better goalie)

having Rossi as a top 2 C, ona line with Tkachuks suddenly there is no size and net front mismatch. Put Pinto and Tkachuk on a line and that’s a huge size mismatch for a team like MTL.

I hope Ottawa gets skill with size, Byfield obviously creates so many matchup problems if you roll him out there with Brady.

so not into drafting Rossi even if the skill is there
What happens with Logan Brown?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad