TSN: Obvious despair for the Ottawa Senators

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The curse continues...

Obvious disappointment for Senators but there is optimism among despair

It didn't go as planned in the NHL Draft Lottery as a slew of teams not competing for a chance to win the Stanley Cup also saw their hopes of landing Alexis Lafreniere disappear as well. TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie and Director of Scouting Craig Button recap a chaotic evening and discuss whether or not the Senators should be disappointed or encouraged

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Don't get how you could be disappointed. If the start of the season I could have told the fans that we be picking a top 3&5 pick, 99% of fans would have said yes to that.

The only fans that should be dissatisfied of the results are the Red Wings and the Sharks fans.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Don't get how you could be disappointed. If the start of the season I could have told the fans that we be picking a top 3&5 pick, 99% of fans would have said yes to that.

The only fans that should be dissatisfied of the results are the Red Wings and the Sharks fans.

I wouldn't be as disappointed if a f***ing placeholder didn't win 1st overall. Now teams like the Penguins, Oilers and The Leafs could end up with the 1st round pick. Would have rather it gone to the other bottom seven teams if not us.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa

Agreed, but context always matters. At the end of the day we went from the 2 and 3 spot to 3 and 5. That's moving backwards no matter what way you slice it and it's really disappointing. We also had by far the best shot at 1OA and miss out. It's normal for people to be incredibly disappointed by that, especially in the immediate term.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Hey sens fans!! Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond, Rossi and Drysdale... you’re getting 2 studs, congrats

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The place holder can also be one of Minny, CLB or Arizona too. I still think it'll be the Habs (unfortunately) but it doesn't mean this is automatically Toronto/Pitts/EDM (most given examples).

I'm bummed but was also setting myself up for 5th-6th so the fact we got a top 3 pick is fantastic.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As much as I know it's not a very useful contribution to the conversation, the NHL can go f*** itself. This is not what the draft was meant to be. A team that that's already good enough to be making the playoffs will be having a 12.5% chance at the number 1 pick. I'm pissed right now, but I'm also reserving some of my arbitrary anger to target specifically at that team when it happens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think what is depressing is that, as a franchise, we had to start from being the second worst team of all-time and the 1st overall picks we ended up with were Daigle, Phillips and Berard.

This year had a "can't miss" 1st overall type player and we miss out after having the best chance of all of the teams in the draft.

And that's aside from the fact that there is a sizable population of francophones in the Ottawa region who would have been understandably excited.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is somehow one of the least disappointing things from this franchise over the last 3 years. Maybe we've been trained to have low standards.
Hahaha 100 percent. Im actually happy with the result thats how bad its become.

What I will say is this the draft lottery system is clearly broken. For 3 years in a row the actual Ottawa Senators have been in the bottom two spots and havent picked higher than 4th. The draft is too improve the worst teams. Its not succeeding in Ottawas case.

You knew a mystery team was going to win. Now the NHL gets to do an entire new draft lottery for Lafreniere. It means more viewers, more money and he is going to likely go to a big market. Its all too tidy for me.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Weird seeing everyone all up in arms in general over this, I guess it's just the optics of the number 1 being unknown, wasn't it 70% that a placeholder would end up in the top 3 somewhere, with a 25% at 1, thats massive odds. Furthermore this team has always delivered in the negative when needed save that one time in Buffalo, losing is what we do so Laf should never ever have been expected! That Johnson tweet is poetic showing how close we are and then getting beat by 2.5% chance, losing to LA our last came costing us 2 is in the same vein and an extra cherry.....was expecting the worst here but was generally happy with how things have fallen tbh. Feeling for Detroit here as well.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah the draft was likely rigged but we still did better than expected.

Seeing a play-in team get the first overall was infuriating but whatever, I'm over it.

It is going to suck when Montreal gets gifted Lafrenière but hey, that's politics and I'm done getting riled up over politics in 2020.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The draft lottery is a broken system if the 3 worst teams consistently don't pick in the top 3. If you look at the last 5 years of draft lotteries, of the 15 teams to finish in the bottom 3 of each season, there have only been 3 teams who won a 1st, 2nd or 3rd OA. That's really really bad. 3/15 does not line up with the supposed combined odds of all of those teams getting one of those top 3 picks.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m honestly not disappointed at all.

Winning 1st overall would have been best case scenario. But the next best thing was keeping the higher pick in the top 3, which we did, and keeping the lower pick in the top 5, which we did.

We’re walking away with Byfield/Stutzle and Raymond/Drysdale. We’re going to be very, very happy for years to come.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The draft lottery is a broken system if the 3 worst teams consistently don't pick in the top 3. If you look at the last 5 years of draft lotteries, of the 15 teams to finish in the bottom 3 of each season, there have only been 3 teams who won a 1st, 2nd or 3rd OA. That's really really bad. 3/15 does not line up with the supposed combined odds of all of those teams getting one of those top 3 picks.

And this is going to kill the league long-term if it isn't fixed.

With so many players avoid half the teams in the league as UFAs, and now bottom teams can't even beg for the first overall...exactly how are the red-headed children of the NHL (and there are a solid dozen teams in that area) ever improve? Why be a fan of a team when you know there's no chance of ever getting a Cup, an elite UFA or even a first overall pick? Why bother?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I wouldn't be as disappointed if a f***ing placeholder didn't win 1st overall. Now teams like the Penguins, Oilers and The Leafs could end up with the 1st round pick. Would have rather it gone to the other bottom seven teams if not us.
A placeholder winning 1st OV has nothing do with how you should feel about it.

This is the main issue.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I've gotten numb to these kind of things ever since the Sens have become a punching bag for the league.

Laf would have been such a marketable piece for the city and would have certainly reguvenated the fanbase big time.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad