Observations, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If you're a hockey fan and viewed that game as a potential first-round playoff preview, you're hoping it works out that way because that was some seriously entertaining hockey. These two teams in the first round would be one heck of a series. I don't know how it would turn out, but it would be some kind of fun to watch.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm probably blinded by their 2 Cups since 2012, but we're 6-0-3 against LA in our last 9 games, we just beat them pretty handily........and I'm still not confident we could beat them in a series. I'm not sure what's wrong with the picture.

I've followed that team long enough to know they are just a different team in the playoffs than in the regular season (their Cup wins came in seasons where they were an 8 seed and a 3rd Pacific/6 seed). There's a certain element of them just "mailing it in" during the regular season and simply making sure they get in to the postseason. It doesn't mean you throw out how tough an out we've been for them over the last several seasons, but it will certainly be a much taller task than that regular season record against them would seem to indicate.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Good points drw. Just took a look at the Colorado schedule and it looks awful. 1 against MIN and 2 against us but the rest are against quality opponents. I feel pretty good about our playoff chances.

To be honest my thinking has shifted the other direction. Can we catch Chicago? 4 points is not a huge gap at all given the way both teams are currently trending.

(I suppose the gap is more realistically 5 points since they have the tie break. )

thats the problem, we need to make up 5 points in 9 games. If Chicago goes 5-4-0 we'd have to go 7-1-1. Not impossible, but there a really good chance it wont happen, barring a real meltdown by the Hawks.

In a perfect world, Chicago beats Dallas in regulation then tanks, and we use the two games we have head to head with Dallas to close that gap. But as I say that, Chicago will probably beat Dallas in OT and we will be out fo luck

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
thats the problem, we need to make up 5 points in 9 games. If Chicago goes 5-4-0 we'd have to go 7-1-1. Not impossible, but there a really good chance it wont happen, barring a real meltdown by the Hawks.

In a perfect world, Chicago beats Dallas in regulation then tanks, and we use the two games we have head to head with Dallas to close that gap. But as I say that, Chicago will probably beat Dallas in OT and we will be out fo luck

And Chicago's schedule isn't very tough- of their remaining 9 games, only 4 are against playoff teams, and 3 of them are at home.

Going to be very difficult if not impossible to catch them.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
And Chicago's schedule isn't very tough- of their remaining 9 games, only 4 are against playoff teams, and 3 of them are at home.

I get what you guys are saying but our team is clicking right now. Better to focus on what is in front of us than what is going on behind. Because let's be honest, if we're close to missing the playoffs going into the last couple of games it will mean that we're in a horrible slump which will not bode well for a playoff run.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I get what you guys are saying but our team is clicking right now. Better to focus on what is in front of us than what is going on behind. Because let's be honest, if we're close to missing the playoffs going into the last couple of games it will mean that we're in a horrible slump which will not bode well for a playoff run.

Right. Go for broke! Play every game as if it was the one separating you from Wild Card 2. Whether we get to the top 3 or not is immaterial. Momentum is the key.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

One more note on the Blackhawks- they have lost 9 straight games against Western conference playoff teams- 0-6-3 during that span. Have not beaten a western conf playoff team since Feb 6.

That is a mind-boggling stat.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
People are slowly but surely beginning to take notice of the Preds:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/22/nhl-power-rankings-week-24

I was listening to whatever Todd Lewis' show on XM NHL is called the other day, and he had a guy on from the Toronto Sun to talk about there being no Canadian teams in the playoffs. I don't recall what precipitated it, but the guy took the opportunity to talk about how nobody's talking about the Preds, how dangerous they could be in the playoffs, and basically said no team in their right mind would want to play us. Todd Lewis said, "I agree" and changed the subject. I guess the positive is he did agree. Not that I expect people to gush about little old Nashville, but had the guy made the same comments about the Blackhawks, Kings, Caps or Sharks, Lewis would have spent another 10 minutes discussing his agreement.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I was listening to whatever Todd Lewis' show on XM NHL is called the other day, and he had a guy on from the Toronto Sun to talk about there being no Canadian teams in the playoffs. I don't recall what precipitated it, but the guy took the opportunity to talk about how nobody's talking about the Preds, how dangerous they could be in the playoffs, and basically said no team in their right mind would want to play us. Todd Lewis said, "I agree" and changed the subject. I guess the positive is he did agree. Not that I expect people to gush about little old Nashville, but had the guy made the same comments about the Blackhawks, Kings, Caps or Sharks, Lewis would have spent another 10 minutes discussing his agreement.

I realize I am biased being a die hard Predators fan, but I can honestly say that if I was a fan of another team, I can honestly say the Preds would be a team I would not look forward to facing right now.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Recent results show Nashville beat Chicago and LA. I WAS in the boat of get WC1 to get Pacific teams till the Western finals but now bring them all on

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

They should call that show 'Listen to paint dry'. Slowest, most mundane show in the line up. It's horrible and he is a non-personality. It's like asking Stu to fill 4 hours of airtime 5 days a week. Awful.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One more note on the Blackhawks- they have lost 9 straight games against Western conference playoff teams- 0-6-3 during that span. Have not beaten a western conf playoff team since Feb 6.

That is a mind-boggling stat.

And now going to be 0-7-3 in last 10 vs Western Conf playoff teams. Amazing

If everything breaks right we could tie the Hawks on Saturday.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
7. The barn was loud last night. Playoff atmosphere.

8. Amazingly, we were just as physical as the Kings were, despite being half their size. Was impressive to see.

9. Despite the win, I am genuinely concerned about our ability to sustain that kind of game for a seven game series. The Kings almost came back. It was close. I want no part of them in the playoffs. Give me anyone else except Chicago.
7. I think people were genuinely excited for this game to see how we potentially stack up to the Kings.

8. I kind of disagree. Despite the fact that the official stat sheet says they out-hit us 38-29, I think we were more than just as physical, but actually even more physical than the Kings. They leaned on us a lot, but I think we were the ones throwing more hits, playing harder on their players, winning more physical battles along the boards. But, I did notice a few times Muzzin would just lean on Forsberg and Fil was forced to use one hand to try to make a play and ended up turning it over. I worry about the toll that would take over a long series.

9. Completely agree. I said this exact thing to someone today. That is such a high level the team played at Monday night I worry about sustaining that over a 7 game series.

But then again, they've been playing good hockey for a while now so who knows.

I'm probably blinded by their 2 Cups since 2012, but we're 6-0-3 against LA in our last 9 games, we just beat them pretty handily........and I'm still not confident we could beat them in a series. I'm not sure what's wrong with the picture.
Certainly doesn't feel like we are 6-0-3 in the last 9 games and I'm not confident we could beat them in a series either. It's probably because all we hear about in the hockey media is that LA is just this fantastic, skilled, physical team that will physically run over any team in the regular/post season. Not to mention the fickle nature of this teams play this season and our own history in the playoffs doesn't exactly scream confidence.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
looking at team +/- stats, we have some head scratching contrasts.

overall it's puzzling to see the divergence between players. for example you have;

...Neal with his 28 goals is a +24, while Forsberg with his 30 goals is a -2.
...our best defense pairing Weber a -6, Josi a -2, While Ellis is a +12 and Eckholm is a +14.
...we're a +15 team, yet we have a high number of regular players (8) that are -'s overall.

normally you see huge swings in +/- in home and away numbers as matchups are chosen, and we certainly do, a few examples;
...Eckholm +17 at home, -3 on road
...Ribeiro +13 h, -6 r
...Smith +11 h, -7 r
...Jarnkrok +8 h, -5 r
...Wilson +6 h, -4 r
...Forsberg +10 h, -12 r
but then you get Neal is a +15 home, + 9 road, an Ellis a +9 and +3

One of the most head scratching examples of home versus road is our top d pair. Most times you see your top d pair matched against tougher competition at home when we are more able to choose to them going against the best offensive players, but then on the road when other teams get more choices they spend more time against lower level forwards. So it's not highly unusual to see your top defensive pair have higher +'s on the road than your other d-men.

(for an example of this gaustad is a -2 home when we roll him more against better players, gag, but a +2 on the road)
But our d-man numbers sort of contradict that old thought;
...Weber a +9 at home, but a -15 on the road
...Josi a +7 at home, but a -9 on the road.

It all feels sort of off, considering our home versus road record is very close and as well as it feels we've played on the road for a long time now. (44 points at home versus 43 on the road). Don't have any massive observations about all this, but I do find some of these numbers strange.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the numbers being that odd just proves one thing, we've had a very odd season. It feels like it has been worse than it has, but if we had even been decent in OT we would be fighting for the top of the division just like last season.

It's interesting to see the numbers and I wonder how many of them are wonky due to the two halves of the season we've basically had. About the only one you can say that has been consistent all season of the forwards is Neal, and that is probably why his numbers look better than everyone else. I would be interested to know how many of Rinne's " soft goals" and bad stretch tore up Weber and Josi's +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad