Observations, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think anyone taking this game as an an indication of anything is being foolish. Washington is the best hockey team in the NHL no doubt, but let's not act like it was anywhere close to an even playing field. On the road, back to back after playing a pretty physical Islanders team, with a back up goalie ( not that Pekka would have done much better).

Well the conditions weren't in our favor but at the very least that game showed that while we're likely to make the playoffs we aren't a true contender. WSH was light years ahead and we aren't ready to run with the big boys. Not this season.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Well the conditions weren't in our favor but at the very least that game showed that while we're likely to make the playoffs we aren't a true contender. WSH was light years ahead and we aren't ready to run with the big boys. Not this season.
At no point in this season have I thought we were a true contender so this does nothing to change my perception of the team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I think that's crap. As has been noted we were on the second night of BTB, playing Hutton in net, on the road.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
This team if it's gets solid goaltending is a challenger. We can play with anyone in the league on any night. We play well on the road. We are good defensively. We are getting offense from a plethora of players. Our PK is much better than it was earlier in the season. There is balance on all the forward lines. We have youthful enthusiasm. We have veteran leadership. We have guys with smiles on their faces. We have a team that never quits in a game whether we're up or down. I'd say there are a lot of teams that don't want to play us in the playoffs. I'm not scared of any team in the West.

As a great man once said, in order to be the man, you've got to beat the man. I want anyone in the first round except Chicago because I want them in either round two or the Conference Finals. To be champions you must first believe in yourself as a team but also want to play the best teams and defeat them to leave no doubt in your mind or anyone else's that you are truly the best.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This team if it's gets solid goaltending is a challenger. We can play with anyone in the league on any night. We play well on the road. We are good defensively. We are getting offense from a plethora of players. Our PK is much better than it was earlier in the season. There is balance on all the forward lines. We have youthful enthusiasm. We have veteran leadership. We have guys with smiles on their faces. We have a team that never quits in a game whether we're up or down. I'd say there are a lot of teams that don't want to play us in the playoffs. I'm not scared of any team in the West.

As a great man once said, in order to be the man, you've got to beat the man. I want anyone in the first round except Chicago because I want them in either round two or the Conference Finals. To be champions you must first believe in yourself as a team but also want to play the best teams and defeat them to leave no doubt in your mind or anyone else's that you are truly the best.
Agreed.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
Bourque and Nystom recalled. As 303 said, things get interesting. I never heard confirmation on what Bourque's injury was. I'd assumed concussion based on the length. If he can go I'm interested to see what he might add. I'll take him over Watson.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Bourque and Nystom recalled. As 303 said, things get interesting. I never heard confirmation on what Bourque's injury was. I'd assumed concussion based on the length. If he can go I'm interested to see what he might add. I'll take him over Watson.

Hearing that 24 is ready to go, 57 needs a bit more time. Nystrom needs to go the press box obviously and I agree with you Bourque over Watson for me, too. Watson can throw some hits but isn't as good defensively as Bourque.

Salomaki-Sissons-Bourque sounds a bit too good of a 4th line to be true. That's what it should be, though.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Roster's have expanded. Who cares. Both have to fight for ice time. No more passengers. I'm not sure what Borque's deal is because the NHL leaves fans in ambiguity with regards to injuries / time frames. I hope for his sake he is okay and getting healthy.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Borque almost has to have Concussion issues, although why they haven't been open about it is beyond me. The time, and up and down of his status is about the only thing I've really seen do that.

Hopefully Lavi doesn't screw with things too much, the 4th line has actually given us some energy and been somewhat of a threat to do something other than just skate around.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

No offense, but that is such crap. We may not be a contender, but that game last night is not the reason, nor does it prove, that we are not one. So if we had gone in there and beat them 5-0 would that mean we WERE a contender and the Caps aren't??

People put way too much meaning into one game. One game, regardless of opponent or score- determines anything about whether a team is a contender or not. It is one game, period.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, we really need to keep winning. After a couple of days where everything seemed to fall our way standings-wise, in the past 2 or 3 days every single game has gone against us as far as who we needed to win. At this point I don't care if we get in the top 3- I just want to hold the #1 WC.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
No offense, but that is such crap. We may not be a contender, but that game last night is not the reason, nor does it prove, that we are not one. So if we had gone in there and beat them 5-0 would that mean we WERE a contender and the Caps aren't??

People put way too much meaning into one game. One game, regardless of opponent or score- determines anything about whether a team is a contender or not. It is one game, period.

well the caps got smoked by Pittsburgh. They must not be a contender

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
An update on the wild card race. Things have tightened up a little over the past 3 days. Our 9 and 10 point lead a few days ago is now down to 5 over Colorado and 6 over Minnesota. The Avs have won 3 in a row and the Mild 2.
Despite that we are still in excellent shape.

Here are some different scenarios and what the Avs and Wild would have to do to catch us:

If we go 3-7 in the final 10 games:
Avs 5-3-1
Wild 6-3

If we go 4-6 in final 10 games:
Avs 6-2-1
Wild 7-2

If we go 5-5 in final 10 games:
Avs 7-1-1
Wild 8-1

If we go 6-4 in final 10 games:
Avs 8-0-1
Wild 9-0

If we go 7-3 in final 10 games:
We clinch no matter what Avs and Wild do. Actually 13 points would clinch.

One of the things that also helps us is the Avs and Wild play each other, especially if the game ends in regulation- they are guaranteed a loss of some kind there.

Tonight’s LA game is our game in hand and would be a big win- 2 pts tonight and we would have a 7 and 8 point lead with 9 left.

I still think Minnesota will pass Colorado for the final wild card. Colorado just made it through the last easy part of their schedule, but the rest of their schedule is brutal. A hot Philly team is their easiest opponent left.

Philadelphia
Minnesota
@ Nashville
@ St Louis
Washington
St Louis
@ Nashville
@ Dallas
Anaheim

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I think tonight determines whether we are really chasing any of the team's ahead of us (by winning), or just trying to hold off those behind us (by losing), here down the final stretch drive.

Personally, I would take a 7-3 finish here and be overjoyed.

We will see Nystrom in place of Watson tonight. You know, since Nystrom can shoot the puck and has a knack for actually scoring when he gets set up in decent scoring spots I will actually be interested in seeing what he can do with better linemates in Sissons and Wilson/Salomaki. Maybe he can get a couple good shots off.

Feels like we really need this one tonight.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think tonight determines whether we are really chasing any of the team's ahead of us (by winning), or just trying to hold off those behind us (by losing), here down the final stretch drive.

Personally, I would take a 7-3 finish here and be overjoyed.

We will see Nystrom in place of Watson tonight. You know, since Nystrom can shoot the puck and has a knack for actually scoring when he gets set up in decent scoring spots I will actually be interested in seeing what he can do with better linemates in Sissons and Wilson/Salomaki. Maybe he can get a couple good shots off.

Feels like we really need this one tonight.

He'll be on the PK slamming his stick down on the ice because he left his zone and the guy put one by Rinne. That much is a given.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If the PREDS pass Chicago and Chicago gets WC1 they could play LA first rd

Those are two big IFs.

LA is likely to pass Dallas (have 2 games in hand and are only 2 points behind) so Chicago would have to fall 2 places to draw LA. Not to mention we have to catch Chicago first who we trail by 6 (game in hand here as well).

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
One quirk I just noticed when looking at the playoff standings and different playoff format scenarios.

Right now we would face LA in the first round if the season ended today with the current wild card playoff format.

We would also face LA if the NHL was using the old 1-8 conference format.

And finally, many people think a straight 1-16 playoff format (no conferences) would be very interesting- 1 would play 16, 2 would play 15, etc, regardless of conference. Guess who we would play in that format? You guessed it- LA.

It almost seems like we are destined to face the Kings.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
One quirk I just noticed when looking at the playoff standings and different playoff format scenarios.

Right now we would face LA in the first round if the season ended today with the current wild card playoff format.

We would also face LA if the NHL was using the old 1-8 conference format.

And finally, many people think a straight 1-16 playoff format (no conferences) would be very interesting- 1 would play 16, 2 would play 15, etc, regardless of conference. Guess who we would play in that format? You guessed it- LA.

It almost seems like we are destined to face the Kings.

Dude, that is some great stuff. Love your stats and digging in to numbers like you do.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

So, um... yeah. Care to rethink this thesis after tomight? Now, I'm not saying we are anybody's cup favorite, but to act like we are not even in the ballpark with the other top teams is just incorrect

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So, um... yeah. Care to rethink this thesis after tomight? Now, I'm not saying we are anybody's cup favorite, but to act like we are not even in the ballpark with the other top teams is just incorrect

Yep, but no one will come on here and say they are wrong.

If we had lost 5-2, there would be people saying "see, I told you we can't compete with them".

But since we won 5-2, its either crickets or the game really doesn't mean anything

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yep, but no one will come on here and say they are wrong.

If we had lost 5-2, there would be people saying "see, I told you we can't compete with them".

But since we won 5-2, its either crickets or the game really doesn't mean anything

I don't want to be negative here....I just am not sure if we can sustain that over a series. Although this team seems to not know what it wants to do. Either score alot of goals or lose in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad