Observations, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to preface this post by saying that I'm not a fan of the Lavi system, but it seems like the players are learning it well and executing. One of the best examples of his system effectively working was during the whole second period when we were able to break out quickly and run a high tempo offense. It seems like the players revived a system that looked like unorganized garbage before the allstar break.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't want to be negative here....I just am not sure if we can sustain that over a series. Although this team seems to not know what it wants to do. Either score alot of goals or lose in OT.

No one knows if we can sustain it- we will all find out in about a month.

But anyone who can't recognize by now that this is a very good team that is peaking and capable of competing with anyone has to be the biggest pessimist on the planet.

It's about time to start thinking about the Preds as a team that others might not want to face.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No one knows if we can sustain it- we will all find out in about a month.

But anyone who can't recognize by now that this is a very good team that is peaking and capable of competing with anyone has to be the biggest pessimist on the planet.

It's about time to start thinking about the Preds as a team that others might not want to face.

All those lost OT points really skew perception. If we had taken even half the possible points, we're fighting for the #1 seed in the conference and the 2nd best record in the league. Instead, we're a #7, and for some reason that makes us feel...so much less potent. Seriously have no tangible idea why. :huh:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't want to be negative here....I just am not sure if we can sustain that over a series. Although this team seems to not know what it wants to do. Either score alot of goals or lose in OT.

Agreed. That Kings team is just too experienced and heavy that a 7-game series against them would maybe be too much for this relatively small team.

Kings is probably the only team I do not want to face in the 1st round. If we get the Stars or the Blues I think we would beat them. I'm not so sure about the Hawks but we almost won that series a year ago without Weber and Johansen and we were in a slump. Now we're coming in hot and without any injuries.

How did Nystrom look?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Agreed. That Kings team is just too experienced and heavy that a 7-game series against them would maybe be too much for this relatively small team.

Kings is probably the only team I do not want to face in the 1st round. If we get the Stars or the Blues I think we would beat them. I'm not so sure about the Hawks but we almost won that series a year ago without Weber and Johansen and we were in a slump. Now we're coming in hot and without any injuries.

How did Nystrom look?

Go look at the roster and get back to me on the size of players. I looked last night and we have a decent balance of sizes all up and down the roster. This isn't the roster full of smurfs anymore.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I don't see us as losers, just not sure if we are the big shots several think we are. I guess I am on the fence right now. I currently believe we are a middle of the pack team that is inching its way a little higher up the ladder when it comes to power.

And I am not sure where you get that at by me saying I wasn't sure that we could sustain that for a series.

We just spanked the number 1 team in the west. The GDT is less than 3 pages long. It isnt just one person that is waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team. Its pervasive and it's too bad that the most vocal are the most negative, but I guess that is what one gets with the Internet.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
We just spanked the number 1 team in the west. The GDT is less than 3 pages long. It isnt just one person that is waiting for the other shoe to drop with this team. Its pervasive and it's too bad that the most vocal are the most negative, but I guess that is what one gets with the Internet.

To be fair for the 3 pages, it was a home game and it was pretty packed and loud last night. Not sure how many on here were there but that was one of the loudest games of the year. If that was an away game I would give that to you.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Go look at the roster and get back to me on the size of players. I looked last night and we have a decent balance of sizes all up and down the roster. This isn't the roster full of smurfs anymore.

So the Johansen trade changed that? Because before the trade everyone said this roster was full of smurfs. The only thing that trade did was put Fisher on the 3rd line which made it a little bigger. I still don't like Arividsson's size as he gets pushed around way to easily but he always bounces back so quickly.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I don't know about others, but I just don't often post in GDT's because something generally delays my watching the game. Often, I'm picking a child up from an activity. Last night, I was grilling, so I had the game paused for a good hour. If I'm not watching live, I don't want to look at the GDT.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
To be fair for the 3 pages, it was a home game and it was pretty packed and loud last night. Not sure how many on here were there but that was one of the loudest games of the year. If that was an away game I would give that to you.

And, to be honest, I would imagine there are plenty of people like me who may browse the GDTs, but don't post in them. As I get older I find I have more trouble paying attention to both, and less desire to say much in a thread while viewing the game.

Besides, I have been around since the np.com days. Our GDTs have never really been all that busy during the regular season. They are like forests; sometimes they catch fire, but normally they are quiet and dull.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So the Johansen trade changed that? Because before the trade everyone said this roster was full of smurfs. The only thing that trade did was put Fisher on the 3rd line which made it a little bigger. I still don't like Arividsson's size as he gets pushed around way to easily but he always bounces back so quickly.

Once again, look at the roster. We have Krok, Ribeiro, Arvy and Ellis under 200#'s. Everyone else in the lineup last night is over that weight class. There were only 4 guys under 6' as well. Sub out Salomaki for Ribeiro in that regard and you can't tell me he plays small or soft.

I don't recall the word smurf being used in a long time. Only one person used that term repeatedly and haven't seen the Chicory in a long time.

Arvy is still effective at his size because of his speed. He had numerous quality chances that he couldn't finish last night. I'll take a little guy with his heart and soul over a big lazy oaf any day of the week, yes, this comment was posted at former Pred Jason Arnott. While Arvy gets pounded he comes back like the energizer bunny. If your biggest gripe is Arvy's size and you don't see all the good things he brings to the table I can't really help you.

Once again, this team can play with anyone in the league. We've beaten LA, NYI, Chi, STL and DAL in the last month. This team is balanced, has solid D, good PK play and solid goaltending. Not sure what more you want. This team also got scoring from the first line, second line, PP and a defender last night. What more can you ask for when playing another top team or are we going to find something to complain about every time we take the ice? Even the coach was happy with the entire team effort and game we played last night.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ah ColdChicory. Maybe he has been too busy shouting at The Blue Man Group about how they are all too tall.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Posts from 2010?

I would like to know who everyone is. I don't remember many, if any talked about a team of smurfs. Maybe about how Arviddson gets knocked off his feet, but not a smurf.

I don't know how anyone could objectively look at this team and when healthy, say it isn't a Cup contender. It wouldn't shock me for any of 6 teams (sorry SJ and Col/Min) to emerge as the West champion. It has everything you need. Big center, couple of snipers, grit, speed, size, elite defenseman, solid 20+ min 2nd pair, guys who know their roles on the pk and an elite goalie when his head is screwed on straight. You can say the same thing for Chicago, STL, LA, Anaheim and minus the Defence and goaltending, Dallas. (what is funny is we have beaten all of them -ANA the last couple of weeks, and most handily.

You just don't like hockey if you thumb your nose at this team right now.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Once again, look at the roster. We have Krok, Ribeiro, Arvy and Ellis under 200#'s. Everyone else in the lineup last night is over that weight class. There were only 4 guys under 6' as well. Sub out Salomaki for Ribeiro in that regard and you can't tell me he plays small or soft.

I don't recall the word smurf being used in a long time. Only one person used that term repeatedly and haven't seen the Chicory in a long time.

Arvy is still effective at his size because of his speed. He had numerous quality chances that he couldn't finish last night. I'll take a little guy with his heart and soul over a big lazy oaf any day of the week, yes, this comment was posted at former Pred Jason Arnott. While Arvy gets pounded he comes back like the energizer bunny. If your biggest gripe is Arvy's size and you don't see all the good things he brings to the table I can't really help you.

Once again, this team can play with anyone in the league. We've beaten LA, NYI, Chi, STL and DAL in the last month. This team is balanced, has solid D, good PK play and solid goaltending. Not sure what more you want. This team also got scoring from the first line, second line, PP and a defender last night. What more can you ask for when playing another top team or are we going to find something to complain about every time we take the ice? Even the coach was happy with the entire team effort and game we played last night.

24 to have a leather recliner in the press box?

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Posts from 2010?

I would like to know who everyone is. I don't remember many, if any talked about a team of smurfs. Maybe about how Arviddson gets knocked off his feet, but not a smurf.

I don't know how anyone could objectively look at this team and when healthy, say it isn't a Cup contender. It wouldn't shock me for any of 6 teams (sorry SJ and Col/Min) to emerge as the West champion. It has everything you need. Big center, couple of snipers, grit, speed, size, elite defenseman, solid 20+ min 2nd pair, guys who know their roles on the pk and an elite goalie when his head is screwed on straight. You can say the same thing for Chicago, STL, LA, Anaheim and minus the Defence and goaltending, Dallas. (what is funny is we have beaten all of them -ANA the last couple of weeks, and most handily.

There's more than a little something to be said for the Cup finals experience that Chicago and L.A. bring to the table. To me, they are easily the favorites because they know how to get over the hump. Anaheim is right behind them with their run to the West finals last year.

Everyone else is everyone else and they all have a shot. San Jose might surprise as well. A +29 goal differential and good mix of veterans.

Nashville is playing very well right now and that's going to serve them well going into the playoffs. However, they need to show they can get over that hump. They also have a lot of youth, more so than last year, but those young players have earned their spots. Every team that succeeds has to start somewhere, though, and there's no reason that can't be this year for Nashville. But it won't be easy.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
A few notes/stats:

1) We won our game in hand on Minnesota and Colorado last night vs LA, and we are now ALMOST to the point now where we don’t really have to worry about the wild card:
If we go 4-5 in our final 9 games, Colorado would have to go 7-1-1 to catch us. Minnesota would have to go 8-1.
If we go 5-4, Colorado has to go 8-0-1, Minnesota 9-0 (basically they both have to win every remaining game except the when they play each other, and in that one Minnesota would have to win in OT/SO. We are 11 points away from officially clinching, but we are not going to need that many.

2) We are 17-5-5 in our last 27 games, and even more impressively, 12-2-5 in the past 19. And in that 19 game stretch we have played 11 games against playoff teams. We are 8-1-2 in those 11, including wins over Florida, Boston, Chicago, St Louis, Dallas, NYI, and LA.

3) The penalty kill is on some kind of roll. We have killed off 26 power plays in a row. And other than that 0 for 3 anomaly against New Jersey a couple of weeks ago, we are 46/48 since February 13.

4) We have not lost in regulation to the Kings in the past 3 years. We are 6-0-3 against them in that span with only 2 OT losses and 1 SO loss. Also, last night was the first time in 3 years that a game between LA and Nashville wasn’t a one goal game. The previous 8 were all 1 goal games. That is pretty impressive domination against a team that many say is the one team we don’t want to face.

5) We just made it through a tough 3 game stretch (NYI, Wash, LAK) with a 2-1 record. Can’t ask for much more than that. And now our schedule turns pretty favorable the rest of the way. 6 of the last 9 games are at home, and we face Vancouver, Columbus, Colorado, San Jose, Colorado and Arizona. Very manageable home schedule. Still have 3 tough road games though- 2 at Dallas and at Pittsburgh.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Agree 100%.

To me we can stack up with anyone in the West, both roster wise and results. Not to beat a dead horse over this fact, but again, if you strip away OT results which don’t matter come playoff time, our record is as good as anyone in the league excluding Washington. Maybe I am in the minority, but if you compare our roster to the Kings roster, as long as we continue to get “good Pekka†the only thing they have over us is playoff experience. And I don’t discount that because that is a huge factor. But playoff success has to start somewhere. I will stack our roster/talent up against just about anyone in the West.

Having said that, the Western conference playoffs are going to once again be an absolute bloodbath. To me you can throw 7 teams in a hat (even SJ) and any one of them are capable of winning the Conference. Only 8 points separates the #1 team from the #7 team. That means that at least 3 elite level teams will be going home in round 1 guaranteed. While I am starting to get cautiously optimistic about our chances, the fact is we might well be one of the ones knocked out early. There are no guarantees. Only time will tell.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Good points drw. Just took a look at the Colorado schedule and it looks awful. 1 against MIN and 2 against us but the rest are against quality opponents. I feel pretty good about our playoff chances.

To be honest my thinking has shifted the other direction. Can we catch Chicago? 4 points is not a huge gap at all given the way both teams are currently trending.

(I suppose the gap is more realistically 5 points since they have the tie break. )

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Great team effort last night. We really needed that W to stay alive in the running for the third seed.

Couple of quick observations before 303 gives us a full break down.

1. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE goal by RyJo in the third sealed the deal. We were getting pounded for a good ten minutes before that. If not for some timely saves by Pekka, we easily could've lost our lead.

2. On the flip side, we had at least half a dozen dangerous chances in the first period that easily could've been goals (the Neal chance from a feed from RyJo, Arvidsson's chance and Smith fanning on a shot come to mind.) Quick kept the Kings in the game.

3. Arvidsson schooling Kopitar was amazing to see. Too bad he wasn't able to pot one in. He deserved a better fate.

4. RyJo, Neal, Arvidsson and Wilson all had excellent games. Wilson looked good when he was on the ice with RyJo and Neal for a couple of minutes. I didn't think Ellis had a good game. Obviously I didn't think Nystrom had a good game. Watson is an upgrade. Sissons had another great game. Was not impressed with Jarnkrok.

5. I was really pissed off about their second goal. How one of our three forwards almost at their blue line still failed to cover Martinez was unbelievable.

6. Awesome goal by Fisher. So happy for him getting a goal and a W on a night we honored him.

7. The barn was loud last night. Playoff atmosphere.

8. Amazingly, we were just as physical as the Kings were, despite being half their size. Was impressive to see.

9. Despite the win, I am genuinely concerned about our ability to sustain that kind of game for a seven game series. The Kings almost came back. It was close. I want no part of them in the playoffs. Give me anyone else except Chicago.

10. Arvidsson needs to be a gym rat this summer. If he puts on five-10 pounds of muscle, he could be a legit 20/20 player as early as next season.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm probably blinded by their 2 Cups since 2012, but we're 6-0-3 against LA in our last 9 games, we just beat them pretty handily........and I'm still not confident we could beat them in a series. I'm not sure what's wrong with the picture.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
a game that had it all last night, excitement, panic, fear, relief, good plays, bad plays.

we really had jump last night. those first two periods were probably as good a two periods as we have put together all year. a few thoughts from an exhausted fan this morning;

the good stuff;
..good point trig. Forsberg 30 goals, Neal 28 goals.
..man is Neal dangerous off offensive zone draws. every offensive zone draw
..it's no accident our resurgence has matched Fisher's resurgence.
..Arvidsson. this kid's speed and quickness adds another dimension to the team.
..Fisher's goal was all heart and effort.
..Wilson looked great, just can't score to save his life.
..Josi and Smith made the Forsberg goal.
..the PK was beyond great. Forsberg, Fisher, Jarnkrok, Salomaki each with over 3 great minutes.
..Rinne was excellent. Cann't really fault him on either goal + some great saves.
..the Rinne glove save on Kopitar when he broke in on Nystrom. probably saved the game.
..the Josi play preventing the backdoor open net.
..the Nystrom clear with everyone down on the ice.
..Rinne now 10-1-3 his last 14 starts. and a 1.95 gaa and over .930 save %
..Scoring our last 19 games.
Forsberg 13
Neal 9
Smith 7
Fisher 5
..Johansen's tip. a huge goal.
..Josi with another multipoint game.
..that was as solid as we have looked against a 6 on 5 all year.
..Salomaki for just being a little ball of hate but not taking penalties while doing it.
...the pass from Johansen to Neal in front that he just couldn't lift.
..the beautiful Arvidsson break in that he couldn't lift on the backhand
..the Wilson break in straight up the gut.
..the entire second period.
..I thought Ellis and Eckholm were excellent defensively.
..Weber and Josi really played Kopitar well all night

and the bad;
..that Wilson can't catch a single break.
..that we only had 3 shots on net the entire third. and one was a 200 footer. luckily two found net.
..Nystrom and Johansen's penalties protecting a late lead. You just can't take those.
..our worst turnovers were from our best d-men. Weber's lazy pass early, and Jois's that cost us a goal.
..Josi with a beautiful tip. unfortunately on Rinne.
..Rinne tends to go down in the butterfly too early on long screened shots from the point. Allowed that floater over the shoulder. but it's a tendency that costs him a lot of goals allowed on soft long shots.
..shame on you preds for making me worry so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino