Obscure hockey facts/stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
When did Ian Fraser play with Jagr or Howe?

Fraser played against Jagr in the NHL (I even checked to confirm: Fraser and Jagr played 3 games total during their careers: Quebec vs Pittsburgh on October 28, 1993 and January 8, 1994; and Winnipeg vs Pittsburgh on February 16, 1996).

Fraser was with the Kansas City Blades of the IHL in 1997-98. That was the year Howe had his one-game stint with the Detroit Vipers on the season opener, October 3, 1997, which was against the Blades. Howe actually bumped into Fraser during his lone shift that game:

A look back at Gordie Howe's last game
Howe, best remembered for the four Stanley Cups he won with the Red Wings some 40 years ago, bumped Kansas City captain Iain Fraser during his shift, and watched a puck deflect off his leg and ricochet to Kansas City goalie Jon Casey.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Fraser played against Jagr in the NHL (I even checked to confirm: Fraser and Jagr played 3 games total during their careers: Quebec vs Pittsburgh on October 28, 1993 and January 8, 1994; and Winnipeg vs Pittsburgh on February 16, 1996).

Fraser was with the Kansas City Blades of the IHL in 1997-98. That was the year Howe had his one-game stint with the Detroit Vipers on the season opener, October 3, 1997, which was against the Blades. Howe actually bumped into Fraser during his lone shift that game:

A look back at Gordie Howe's last game

Oh, I thought you were talking about NHL. Better to use Gordie Roberts who played against each of them in the NHL.

Reactions: a79krgm

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Oh, I thought you were talking about NHL. Better to use Gordie Roberts who played against each of them in the NHL.

I didn't post the original list, I just looked up how they were connected. But yeah Roberts would be a better choice than Howe's one-off shift in the IHL.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Brett Hull Short-Handed Goals:

1986-87 to 1990-91 = 0

1991-92 to 1996-97 = 18

Brett Hull Power-Play Goals:

1989-90 to 1993-94 [five seasons] = 130

Phil Esposito Power-Play Goals:

1970-71 to 1974-75 [five seasons] = 111

Tim Kerr Power-Play Goals:

1984-85 to 1986-87 [three seasons] = 81

Wayne Gretzky Short-Handed Goals:

1981-82 to 1986-87 = 45

Wayne Gretzky 1984-85:

Short-Handed goals = 11
Power-Play goals = 8

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Maurice “Moe” Roberts made his NHL debut on December 8th, 1925, for the Boston Bruins. At 19 years old, he set a record for youngest NHL netminder, which would stand for almost 20 years until Harry Lumley surpassed it.

November 25th, 1951, while a trainer with the team, Moe Roberts geared up and finished the third period in net for the Black Hawks, following an injury to Lumley.

At 45 years and 345 days, Roberts set a record that still stands as the oldest netminder in NHL history. At the time, he was the oldest player at any position until Gordie Howe’s final season. Roberts was also the last player active in the 1920s to play in the NHL.

In total he played 10 games in the NHL.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
How about one for baseball? If I asked you who has more career triples in their career between Babe Ruth and Rickey Henderson who among us picks Babe? Well, you should. It's the Babe. 136-66. No kidding. There are a lot of factors to this. Ruth was faster and a better baserunner than people think (baseball historians would know this). In his day there were some ballparks with more cavernous outfields, plus there was still the idea that you hoof it the second you hit the ball. While in Henderson's day admiring a double hit off the wall was common and Henderson was guilty of doing this too much in his career where he could have turned many doubles into triples had he hit the ground running. Anyway, that's an obscure stat few now.

Okay, now to hockey. Todd Bertuzzi led the NHL in PPG in 2002. A weak year to do it sure, but he still did it. No kidding.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In the 1960-61 season Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion scored 18 goals in 11 games in a late-season rush to become the 2nd player to have a 50 goal season.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
How about one for baseball? If I asked you who has more career triples in their career between Babe Ruth and Rickey Henderson who among us picks Babe? Well, you should. It's the Babe. 136-66. No kidding. There are a lot of factors to this. Ruth was faster and a better baserunner than people think (baseball historians would know this). In his day there were some ballparks with more cavernous outfields, plus there was still the idea that you hoof it the second you hit the ball. While in Henderson's day admiring a double hit off the wall was common and Henderson was guilty of doing this too much in his career where he could have turned many doubles into triples had he hit the ground running. Anyway, that's an obscure stat few now.
Babe Ruth's popular (i.e., not aficionado) legacy kind of suffers from the same "problem" as Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard, but in an even earlier era, which is -- lack of abundant footage from younger years.

All the video and most of the photos of the Babe are from the back half of his career. I don't think there's any video of him when he wasn't fat. But it's more than clear from Boston and very-early Yankees photos that he wasn't fat, and in fact he was lean and trim in his early years:
babem_290_282.jpg
Young-Babe-Ruth.jpg

No doubt, he could move!!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Babe Ruth's popular (i.e., not aficionado) legacy kind of suffers from the same "problem" as Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard, but in an even earlier era, which is -- lack of abundant footage from younger years.

All the video and most of the photos of the Babe are from the back half of his career. I don't think there's any video of him when he wasn't fat. But it's more than clear from Boston and very-early Yankees photos that he wasn't fat, and in fact he was lean and trim in his early years:
babem_290_282.jpg
Young-Babe-Ruth.jpg

No doubt, he could move!!

Oh for sure. He stole 123 bases in his career. That's something at least. Twice he stole 17 in a season, which got him in the top 10 in the American League both of those years. I always say that the grainy footage of Ruth trotting around the bases once he realized he had hit a home run does not tell the whole story of the player. He was a great pitcher too. How many people know that Babe Ruth held the record for most scoreless innings pitched in a row in the World Series until Whitey Ford beat it in 1960? Crazy.

He stole 10 bases in a season as late as 1930. Sure he still got caught stealing a lot, but you would assume people thought he was useless unless he hit a home run. Really the only year he didn't play well was 1935 - his final year - where it caught up to him. In 1934 his final year as a Yankee he still hit .288 and had 22 home runs. It is a bit like Gretzky in, say, 1998 or 1999. He had such a high standard of play for so long that when he finally came to earth and had a ho-hum season it hit him harder. Yeah, the Babe could play on my team 8 days a week over anyone else in baseball history.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In the 89 - 90 playoffs Rod Langway ended his 92 game goalless drought in dramatic fashion scoring the series-winning OT goal in the Division Finals between the Rangers and Capitals.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In the 89 - 90 playoffs Rod Langway ended his 92 game goalless drought in dramatic fashion scoring the series-winning OT goal in the Division Finals between the Rangers and Capitals.
That's hilarious. By the way, what the longest goal-less droughts in the NHL regular season and in playoffs? Anyone know?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I posted this to Pasta hattrick thread and then thought it might be better suited here. So basically, longest time between first and last goal of regulation, by the same player. 59:33 for Pasta

I think this could be some random record? First goal of regulation after 12 seconds, last goal of the regulation 15 seconds remaining. I dont think scoring first and last goal of regulation is that common, let alone scoring one very quickly and the other just before end

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Shortest time between first and last goal in regulation by the same player would of course be the only goal in 1-0 game. But what's the record when there's more than 1 goal scored? Might not even be from 2-0 game.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Shortest time between first and last goal in regulation by the same player would of course be the only goal in 1-0 game. But what's the record when there's more than 1 goal scored? Might not even be from 2-0 game.

Ryan Smyth scored a hat trick in a 3-0 game with the goals coming in a 9:45 span. I'd guess that somebody has probably scored two quicker in a 2-0 game though.

Reactions: Kahvi

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
W.A. Hewitt came up with the idea of draping a fish net over the goal posts.

edit - also came across this :

William Fairbrother was a Canadian ice hockey player who is credited with inventing the ice hockey net in the 1890s. During the 1880s, Fairbrother played for Beamsville, Ontario's Men's Hockey team. At first, two poles or two rocks served as goals, and an official would watch to see if a puck passed through the goal.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
In 1907 Owen McCourt of Cornwall in the Federal Amateur Hockey League dies as a result of head injuries in a stick-swinging incident. Charles Masson is charged with manslaughter but later acquitted.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I dont understand. Any picture?

Originally they used to use rocks or posts for the goalposts with no net. Then they took a net and draped it over the posts so the puck [or cow poop back then] would capture it and make it easier to determine if in fact there was a goal.

I did a cursory look on google for an image but didn't find too much though I've seen plenty in books.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Just did the research for this on the main board, and felt it appropriate here:

In the history of the Hart Trophy, a forward has won it while not leading his team in scoring only three times:

1965, when Bobby Hull won the Hart, while his teammate Stan Mikita led the league in scoring with 87 points (16 more than Hull).

1955, when Ted Kennedy won the Hart in what is seen as a career-achievement award. He finished 2 points behind his teammate Sid Smith in scoring

1924 (the first year of the Hart): Frank Nighbor (17 points) was third on the Senators in scoring, behind league leader Cy Denneny (24) and defenceman Georges Boucher (23).

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Just did the research for this on the main board, and felt it appropriate here:

In the history of the Hart Trophy, a forward has won it while not leading his team in scoring only three times:

1965, when Bobby Hull won the Hart, while his teammate Stan Mikita led the league in scoring with 87 points (16 more than Hull).

1955, when Ted Kennedy won the Hart in what is seen as a career-achievement award. He finished 2 points behind his teammate Sid Smith in scoring

1924 (the first year of the Hart): Frank Nighbor (17 points) was third on the Senators in scoring, behind league leader Cy Denneny (24) and defenceman Georges Boucher (23).

Plus, technically, Joe Thornton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad